XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

E70 Hatch Problems After Visiting Dealer 3 Times!

We have taken our '11 E70 to the dealer three times for this issue (about to go back for the fourth time). Basically, when you're driving, the hatch creaks like a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every time that the dealer fixes the issue, it recurs within 2 days to one week.

A bit of information: Our driveway is an uneven slope, which I'm sure is the culprit. Essentially, once the issue has been fixed by BMW and after a few times entering/exiting our garage, the creak returns. I believe that the body of the car flexes, not allowing the hatch to return to its original position. This doesn't say a lot for the integrity of the vehicle if it readily flexes to a degree where the hatch doesn't close.

The worst part about the situation is that when the vehicle is parked on the driveway, the hatch will not close all of the way. We have jumped in the truck and taken off down the street a few times just to realize that we have to stop, open the hatch and re-close it in order for it to close properly. Unfortunately, we enjoy carting our dogs around, especially to doggy beach. When we put the dogs in the back we have to load them, drive up the street hoping that they don't find a way out of rear of the car, stop, go to the back and open/close the hatch, and then continue on our way.

Have any of you experienced this issue? If so, what did your dealer do to correct it.
      09-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

squeek!

Not too sure about the closing problem, but .....
I had a '93 Turbo Supra purchased new, and the hatch squeeked from day one. Selling dealer (NY) couldn't find the problem. Local dealer's body shop (RI) pinpointed it in a minute. He put lithium grease on the interface between rubber pads that the hatch closes on - problem solved. I just needed to re-apply grease occasionally.
Appreciate 0