XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Traveling: X6 Storage Tips

We are going travelling to Europe for an extended trip (including picking up a 2011 335i xdrive at the BMW Welt!).

Any thoughts on what to do in terms of "storing" my 2009 X6 5.0? So far I have been told only to disconnect the negative on the battery? How do I do that? Any other tips? Will disconnecting the battery cause problems on my return?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

You didn't say how long you would be gone but a trickle charger on the battery might be an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Battery disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
We are going travelling to Europe for an extended trip (including picking up a 2011 335i xdrive at the BMW Welt!).

Any thoughts on what to do in terms of "storing" my 2009 X6 5.0? So far I have been told only to disconnect the negative on the battery? How do I do that? Any other tips? Will disconnecting the battery cause problems on my return?

Thanks
I assume u spoke to service foreman/manager @ the dealer regarding the disconnect? There r so many new models w/ service bulletins issued.
There r so many things electronic on these cars, & not every SA knows everything there is to know about these cars. They r new to them too!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Pascal
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: E91 320xd touring

I've been faced to the same problem and had to leave my car unused for months.
I did not disconnect any battery cable (and recommend you not to do it) before leaving as this would disrupt the onboard computer
When I came back, the battery voltage was low (<11,5v) and hopefully, I managed to use it after charging.
Anyway, since then, I bought a Ctek maintenance/trickle charger that I can leave connected for months.
All it does is a charging cycle whenever the voltage drops below 12v.
I've seen this charger used on roadshows here in France as Aston Martin & Mercedes leave them on their exposition models.
Just plug it under the hood, there is a + terminal (with a red plastic cap) & - anywhere on the chasis.

Last edited by Pascal; 01-01-2011 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Thanks guys. I went to the dealer and he said to disconnect the negative. Sure enough, it started sparking so I stopped. The terminal was mildly loose. My friend installed a trickle charger when I was away.

When I returned, problems started. I got lots of errors which told me to go to the dealer, etc... Anyways they screwed up the repair (BMW Gallery) which consisted of tightening the negative (as I had told them). Then it went downhill from there.

My recommendation: buy a good trickle charger and connect it. Period.
Appreciate 0