XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Question about BMW Apps and Pandora/Apple iPhone

I have BMW apps and the BMW dongle connector for my iPhone 4GS in all of my cars, but when I connect the USB Cable that BMW provided me with to my iPhone, I still can't get the Pandora to work or any of the other apps, it just says it is not connected. Does it have to be connected via the Plug In cradle that they sell? I thought the dongle would work the same way. Does anyone know how it works? Also, I thought when browsing music through the iDrive, that the Cover art was supposed to be shown, which I also do not get.

I don't want to buy the cradle because of the iPhone 5 Update and the new cradle will be out soon.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

First the bad news. Don't count on the new cradle soon. The one for the iPhone 4 took about 8 months to come out and then had several revisions after that.

Second
1. Install BMW Apps on your iPhone (download from the store). Fire it up - do you see it under Apps? This will confirm that you are a) talking to your phone and b) have the option and it is working.
2. After that, fire up Pandora while it is connected - it should appear right under the BMW apps area

If not, something is wrong - make sure you are using a regular iPhone cable and not the Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

Thank You Doug, I was using the Y-Cable. The iPhone cable does connect, now I just need to use the apps. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
First the bad news. Don't count on the new cradle soon. The one for the iPhone 4 took about 8 months to come out and then had several revisions after that.

Second
1. Install BMW Apps on your iPhone (download from the store). Fire it up - do you see it under Apps? This will confirm that you are a) talking to your phone and b) have the option and it is working.
2. After that, fire up Pandora while it is connected - it should appear right under the BMW apps area

If not, something is wrong - make sure you are using a regular iPhone cable and not the Y cable.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:

Second

The BMW connected app doesn't need to be running for pandora to work.

Does the op have APPS ? It a separate option.

Without apps ... The only choice is to use bt audio streaming. Supports next track and meta data but no album art.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
kennewman
BMW fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 45e

Garage List
How can I tell if I have BMW apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
I have BMW apps and the BMW dongle connector for my iPhone 4GS in all of my cars,
Hello
I just got a certified pre-owned 2010 X5 4.8

I'm wondering how I can get my iPhone 4S to work properly with the sound system

I purchased a cable that has the 30 pin dock connector on one end, an 1/8" stereo male and USB connector on the other end. I plugged that cable into the USB connector and AUX connector in the center console, plugged the other end into my iPhone 4S, but the system says that it's incompatible (or something like that) and the phone says that it's connected.

My 80gb classic iPod works perfectly with this cable, but I'd prefer to use my iPhone instead of the iPod.

Do I need the cable I saw on the BMW website that has 3 connectors on one end, and I can't tell what's on the other end?
That is, it has an 1/8" stereo male connector, a USB connector, and what I believe is called a cigarette lighter connector on one end, and the other end isn't visible on the website....????

Or is it even more complicated than that? Do I need BMW Apps or the stupid cradle (call me crazy, but I want my phone to be visible to me while I'm driving) or what?

Looking forward to learning what's the official word on how to get things working right...

Thanks!

Ken Newman
Irvine, CA
2010 X5 4.8
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
I have BMW apps and the BMW dongle connector for my iPhone 4GS in all of my cars...
I had an '11 X5 and a '12 X6. I thought that BMW Apps only became an option for ordering for the MY12+ and that you automagically got a cradle when you ordered it. (One of the reasons why it is such an expensive option).

When you click Menu, if you don't see ConnectedDrive, you don't have BMWApps. How do I know this? Because they screwed up the software in my car at my last service and ConnectedDrive disappeared from the main menu and I couldn't get to BMWApps or Pandora anymore -- it was replaced by Office. (I drove it right back into the service bay and pointed it out BTW).

I've also found Pandora to be finicky. Sometimes it connects. Sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time does. Its more likely to connect if I also have BMW connected running in the background.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
The BMW connected app doesn't need to be running for pandora to work.

Does the op have APPS ? It a separate option.

Without apps ... The only choice is to use bt audio streaming. Supports next track and meta data but no album art.
Right - I told him to go into BMW Apps to make sure it was connected and working.
"This will confirm that you are a) talking to your phone and b) have the option and it is working."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennewman View Post
Hello
I just got a certified pre-owned 2010 X5 4.8

I'm wondering how I can get my iPhone 4S to work properly with the sound system

I purchased a cable that has the 30 pin dock connector on one end, an 1/8" stereo male and USB connector on the other end. I plugged that cable into the USB connector and AUX connector in the center console, plugged the other end into my iPhone 4S, but the system says that it's incompatible (or something like that) and the phone says that it's connected.

My 80gb classic iPod works perfectly with this cable, but I'd prefer to use my iPhone instead of the iPod.

Do I need the cable I saw on the BMW website that has 3 connectors on one end, and I can't tell what's on the other end?
That is, it has an 1/8" stereo male connector, a USB connector, and what I believe is called a cigarette lighter connector on one end, and the other end isn't visible on the website....????

Or is it even more complicated than that? Do I need BMW Apps or the stupid cradle (call me crazy, but I want my phone to be visible to me while I'm driving) or what?
Unfortunately I think you need
1. The iPOD/USB Adapter Option (Sounds like you have that)
2. Smartphone integration
3. The cradle
4. The snap in adapter

#3 and #4 are not cheap. I think I paid like $500 for them and you need to have Smartphone Integration. Not sure you can charge the 4S without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
patrick01
Registered
Rep
Drives: QQ

Quote:

Second

Thank You Doug, Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

I see that Apps is only a $250 option on the BMW config build sheet and am wondering if it is simply software that can be bought after you already own the vehicle rather than something that MUST be purchased on the build sheet

I am asking for the obvious reason... I am considering buying a new '12 X5d that does not have Apps currently installed on it.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I see that Apps is only a $250 option on the BMW config build sheet and am wondering if it is simply software that can be bought after you already own the vehicle rather than something that MUST be purchased on the build sheet

I am asking for the obvious reason... I am considering buying a new '12 X5d that does not have Apps currently installed on it.

Thanks in advance!
There are people who have had it added after the fact, leading me to believe it is indeed just a software update. Not sure of the cost and you have to find a dealer to do it. Search all the forums, someone here did it. Let me know if you can't find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
There are people who have had it added after the fact, leading me to believe it is indeed just a software update. Not sure of the cost and you have to find a dealer to do it. Search all the forums, someone here did it. Let me know if you can't find it.
Thanks. I'll ask the dealer for the details.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Could you pm me how can I get it added to my F30 or E93 m3
Appreciate 0