XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Diesel owners with 100k+ miles

I currently have a 2007 4.8 X5 with 160k miles and am considering making the switch over to a diesel for the better gas milage. My 4.8 has basically had all of the standard maintenance done on it and would be good for at least the next 50k miles, aside from other random/minor issues that may occur.

For those who have 100k+ miles on their diesel X5s, I was wondering if you could provide your input on mainly your engine's reliability and/or other items that are related specifically to the diesel engined cars.

Thanks!

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
leebee
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35D,

Diesel 100k experience

Hi Don, our 2011 e 70 35d has 126k miles on it. A lot of driving, I know. I still have a hard time with the cost of bmw repair parts so my perspective is probably a little jaded. I just paid 2500.00 for a new diesel exhaust fluid tank. Two bad sensors in the tank but bmw does not sell the sensors. whole tank only. I have replaced a bad injector, the cabin air fan and switch/resistor, one exhaust sensor, probably related to diesel but it might also be a gasser counterpart and one other sensor but what system it worked in escapes me at the moment. 6 years driving, 6000.00 in repairs. more than half, diesel related. Whether that is really good or really bad or somewhere in between, I'll let you decide.We get 22mpg average for mostly highway driving. Now you can figure the cost savings between your gas mileage and my diesel vs the clearly diesel repairs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Leebee,
You might want to check with BMW in getting reimbursed for some of those expenses as they are now covering the SCR tanks under an extended 10yr/120k warranty.

Also, if you are only getting 22mpg you likely have a thermostat issue....very common and greatly impacts mileage. I can easily do 26-28mpg on the highway, usually 24-26mpg with mixed.

Back to the subject at hand, diesels do have emission related issues more so than any other model X5. However, BMW has stepped up and extended the parts coverage for some of the more common issues, as noted previously. I'm currently at 83k and I've had the SCR tank and one O2 sensor replaced, of course covered by BMW emissions warranty. I've done a few other things like cleaning the carbon deposits in the manifold and EGR valve along with replacing the vacuum lines, all as preventative maintenance. Overall I love mine and it's been pretty damn reliable. I do a lot of hiking and the diesel just pulls up the mountains without issue. I love it and would buy another.

All that being said I'm still under 100k but I'm seeing these diesels go beyond 150k and anticipate they will do more. Diesels in general are built pretty tough. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here with 100k+ that could add a little more light beyond the 100k mark. My recommendation is drive one if you haven't already!
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 335d, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
I currently have a 2007 4.8 X5 with 160k miles and am considering making the switch over to a diesel for the better gas milage. My 4.8 has basically had all of the standard maintenance done on it and would be good for at least the next 50k miles, aside from other random/minor issues that may occur.

For those who have 100k+ miles on their diesel X5s, I was wondering if you could provide your input on mainly your engine's reliability and/or other items that are related specifically to the diesel engined cars.

Thanks!

-Don
Hi Don, similar to Socale, i am at about 80k with 13 x5d and 106k with 335d. Knock on wood, both run like a swiss watch with an occasional sensor here and there that might need replacement. Usually a quick swap. The engines, tranny, and overall car durability seems pretty bulletproof. In europe, these engines are legendary and highly proven to run way passed 200k miles. If you take care of the cars proactively and drive it in a sporty way but not abuse, the diesel should last. A big factor when you buy one is how well the previous owner maintained and their driving style. If it was a local city car, there is pretty high risk of carbon build up which can be the root cause of many issue folks tend to have with diesels.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

I have about 110k miles (176xxx KM) on my '09
Repairs include
1. replacement of throttle valve
2. 3 injectors and harness, along with plastic partition
3. Glowplug module, and 6 glow plugs
4. water pump and thermostat, accessory belts
5. Boost pressure sensor, differential exhaust pressure sensor
6. Axle seal (diff leaking fluid)
7. Two front wheel bearings
8. Tierods, lower wishbones, tension struts
9. SCR metering valve (DEF injector)
Pending - replacement of exhaust temperature sensor (code 4ABA)

Maintenance outside of regular includes
1.Front and rear diff fluids, transmission pan and fluids, coolant, power steering
2. vaccum hoses and pressure converters
3. Battery