XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

N63 to S63

I've been looking to upgrade my 50i M Sport to an X5M for a few months now...my ideal color combo is MCB with either black or brown interior but unfortunately every MCB X in my area are ratty and have very high mileage...my other choice is AW with black interior...I found 1 i'm going to look at this weekend, my question is are there any open recalls or other factors i need to consider before i pull the trigger?(what to look for) it is still under factory warranty by the way...any advice is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Nice. Which dealer?
I have AW with black interior as well. Mine is 2013 and notihng major so far (knock on wood). The one minor issue I had was the actuator that locks the fuel door wasn't working so when you locked the doors, the fuel door remained unlocked. Dealer replaced the actuator under warranty. Other than that, its been great. I hope theres no open recalls - I'm not aware of any.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

I'ts a dealership out in Jersey, every dealership in the NYC area with X5M's on their lots I've been to have nothing but garbage!...I only asked about an open recall because i read somewhere that BMW had issued a recall #11V-521 Service Bulletin 11 08 11 due to moisture getting into the turbocharger coolant pump, causing an electrical short circuit...the X i'm looking at is a MY 2012 AW with black interior fully loaded except for rear seat entertainment and 35k miles on the clock...warranty expires on 1/16 but i do plan on getting an extended warranty...is there really a huge difference between my 50i and the M besides the 155hp difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I went from a 2013 35i to 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and dumped it after 4 mos for the M. For me, the difference was huge. I'm sure some of the others that had a 50i could chime in on the comparison.
Are you going with BMW or third party for extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
I'ts a dealership out in Jersey, every dealership in the NYC area with X5M's on their lots I've been to have nothing but garbage!...I only asked about an open recall because i read somewhere that BMW had issued a recall #11V-521 Service Bulletin 11 08 11 due to moisture getting into the turbocharger coolant pump, causing an electrical short circuit...the X i'm looking at is a MY 2012 AW with black interior fully loaded except for rear seat entertainment and 35k miles on the clock...warranty expires on 1/16 but i do plan on getting an extended warranty...is there really a huge difference between my 50i and the M besides the 155hp difference?
If you want an extended warranty, have you considered buying CPO? I would check the BMWUSA.com CPO page - you'd get the extended warranty you want and you'd avoid all the junk you're seeing on the local car lots.

I'd personally get a 2013 with the optional, but somewhat common 'Full LED headlights' Gives the vehicle a much more updated/modern look. Just my .02.

I haven't driven an X5M but I'm assuming like most ///M vehicles, there is a definite/noticeable difference. Sure 155 more HP & 50 TQ, but you'd get ///M mode & EDC which you're 50i doesn't have. Better sound if the ///M has 752 (Premium Sound Package), which most have...

2013 Alpine White/black - has 4 of the 5 packages (missing Active Ventilated Seat package) but has the LED headlights, carbon leather trim, etc.
http://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/BMW/2013-...m?geoZip=98028

Want darker...2013 Black Sapphire/black - has all 5 packages, LED headlights...loaded -

There's plenty of others on this site that are less $ as well, but perhaps not CPO.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
I went from a 2013 35i to 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and dumped it after 4 mos for the M. For me, the difference was huge. I'm sure some of the others that had a 50i could chime in on the comparison.
Are you going with BMW or third party for extended warranty?
I'm most likely going to go through BMW because I have a third party warranty on my 50i now and for some reason it doesn't cover as much as a BMW warranty does cost me $4k
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
If you want an extended warranty, have you considered buying CPO? I would check the BMWUSA.com CPO page - you'd get the extended warranty you want and you'd avoid all the junk you're seeing on the local car lots.

I'd personally get a 2013 with the optional, but somewhat common 'Full LED headlights' Gives the vehicle a much more updated/modern look. Just my .02.

I haven't driven an X5M but I'm assuming like most ///M vehicles, there is a definite/noticeable difference. Sure 155 more HP & 50 TQ, but you'd get ///M mode & EDC which you're 50i doesn't have. Better sound if the ///M has 752 (Premium Sound Package), which most have...

2013 Alpine White/black - has 4 of the 5 packages (missing Active Ventilated Seat package) but has the LED headlights, carbon leather trim, etc.

Want darker...2013 Black Sapphire/black - has all 5 packages, LED headlights...loaded -

There's plenty of others on this site that are less $ as well, but perhaps not CPO.
I've checked BMWUSA almost everyday for the past 3 months and haven't found a single CPO X5M in my area in the colors and options i have now and want to have on the new M...I can't justify spending that kind of money buying a car i haven't seen or driven in person...the one I'm considering buying already has the akra exhaust and it sounds like a pissed off beast! for some reason all the nice ones are in the mid west and west coast...as for the LED's your 100% correct on it looking more modern but I can always hunt down a pair of LED's down the road...I don't understand why BMW didn't make every model LCI in 2011 when the E90/92's went with LED's???

EDIT: I have a set of LED headlights from a 2013 X5 i bought for $500...if i get the M these will be f/s same price
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dibs!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I'm most likely going to go through BMW because I have a third party warranty on my 50i now and for some reason it doesn't cover as much as a BMW warranty does cost me $4k
I had a 3rd party warranty years ago on a 3 series I owned and they denied pretty much every claim I made. For me it was a total waste and I'd never spend a penny on one again.

Quote:
I've checked BMWUSA almost everyday for the past 3 months and haven't found a single CPO X5M in my area in the colors and options i have now and want to have on the new M...I can't justify spending that kind of money buying a car i haven't seen or driven in person...the one I'm considering buying already has the akra exhaust and it sounds like a pissed off beast! for some reason all the nice ones are in the mid west and west coast...as for the LED's your 100% correct on it looking more modern but I can always hunt down a pair of LED's down the road...I don't understand why BMW didn't make every model LCI in 2011 when the E90/92's went with LED's???

EDIT: I have a set of LED headlights from a 2013 X5 i bought for $500...if i get the M these will be f/s same price
What color are you looking for? I think you can feel pretty safe buying a CPO'd vehicle 'sight unseen' - have you seen the checklist they have to pass in order to become CPO'd? From condition to mechanical, it has to be in stellar condition. If it's not they either bring it up to spec or it won't be CPO'd. I bought my CPO X5 from out of state without having seen it first, and it arrived in near perfect condition, only a few expected rock chips.

Upgrading the LED's on the X5M is a considerable expensive from what I've read - 3K+

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Dibs!
They wouldn't fit in your ///M
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I had a 3rd party warranty years ago on a 3 series I owned and they denied pretty much every claim I made. For me it was a total waste and I'd never spend a penny on one again.

What color are you looking for? I think you can feel pretty safe buying a CPO'd vehicle 'sight unseen' - have you seen the checklist they have to pass in order to become CPO'd? From condition to mechanical, it has to be in stellar condition. If it's not they either bring it up to spec or it won't be CPO'd. I bought my CPO X5 from out of state without having seen it first, and it arrived in near perfect condition, only a few expected rock chips.

Upgrading the LED's on the X5M is a considerable expensive from what I've read - 3K+

They wouldn't fit in your ///M
I'm looking for MCB with Criollo Brown or Black interior but thats a rare color combo so I'd settle for AW with Black interior...I'm aware of the process they go through to be CPO'd but like I said, I've never bought a car sight unseen and don't want to take any chances with an M car...I drove over 300 miles to buy my M3 and when I got there the car wasn't as nice as it was in the pics but i bought it anyway and spent over $1k on a new replacement hood...I'd rather buy my next ride in person
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Pull the trigger yet?

If the X5M you are looking at still has the original manufactures warranty, which sounds like it does, you can get the oem bmw extended one. You can even build it into the price of the car if you are buying it from a BMW dealer. Definitely go oem on the extended warranty if you can. It will cost a little more, but piece of mind is everything with these beasts.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Pull the trigger yet?

If the X5M you are looking at still has the original manufactures warranty, which sounds like it does, you can get the oem bmw extended one. You can even build it into the price of the car if you are buying it from a BMW dealer. Definitely go oem on the extended warranty if you can. It will cost a little more, but piece of mind is everything with these beasts.
Whats up Kimo...As you know I want a MCB X but I'm not having much luck with that color and interior combinations...I did find a very nice AW fully loaded with its original warranty which I'm going to extend through BMW. Hopefully if all goes well I'll pull the trigger this weekend...I was searching Autotrader and came across your same exact X f/s in Hawaii...maybe I'll scoop that one up
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
I'm looking for MCB with Criollo Brown or Black interior but thats a rare color combo so I'd settle for AW with Black interior...I'm aware of the process they go through to be CPO'd but like I said, I've never bought a car sight unseen and don't want to take any chances with an M car...I drove over 300 miles to buy my M3 and when I got there the car wasn't as nice as it was in the pics but i bought it anyway and spent over $1k on a new replacement hood...I'd rather buy my next ride in person
I love your taste for Criollo. Sadly, it's an individual color usally not available in the USA.

There's only 1 truck with Criollo Brown in North America and it's MCB

I love it

Check the production numbers to have a better idea
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918774

See here for pictures
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1091738
or here
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ate-intro.html
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2015, 05:17 AM   #14
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
I love your taste for Criollo. Sadly, it's an individual color usally not available in the USA.

There's only 1 truck with Criollo Brown in North America and it's MCB

I love it

Check the production numbers to have a better idea
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918774

See here for pictures
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1091738
or here
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ate-intro.html
That was your X5M I must of seen over on XOUTPOST a few months ago that has had me searching for that color combo...It reminded me of my Le Mans Blue 335 with Saddle Brown interior I had...best color combo imho...wanna sell it???
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
lanbrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I would get the service history and see what components on the N63 campaign have been replaced on that S63. Not all parts carry over but some do.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #16
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

You need to listen to my post.

I recently had the vacuum pump, a bunch of oil seals, and an O2 sensor replaced on our X. Ours is out of warranty, and given the N63 campaign, I was hoping for some assistance being that most of the parts are the same ones on the N63 campaign. However, I was given very little assistance with it all. I was however given a bill for the work, just shy of $4000. I don't regret having it done as it runs better now, no more burning oil smell, but, the damn thing is expensive to own.

So, definitely get one that checks out mechanically, have a PPI done, or, like others have said, get a warranty.

I do love the M, and it drives like an absolute animal, even with the big 21" wheels and runflat bricks I have on it now.

As for your headlights, given the price, you have the LED corona headlights for the non M X5. These are not the FULL LED headlights that were offered on the X5M and X6M.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #17
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
You need to listen to my post.

I recently had the vacuum pump, a bunch of oil seals, and an O2 sensor replaced on our X. Ours is out of warranty, and given the N63 campaign, I was hoping for some assistance being that most of the parts are the same ones on the N63 campaign. However, I was given very little assistance with it all. I was however given a bill for the work, just shy of $4000. I don't regret having it done as it runs better now, no more burning oil smell, but, the damn thing is expensive to own.

So, definitely get one that checks out mechanically, have a PPI done, or, like others have said, get a warranty.

I do love the M, and it drives like an absolute animal, even with the big 21" wheels and runflat bricks I have on it now.

As for your headlights, given the price, you have the LED corona headlights for the non M X5. These are not the FULL LED headlights that were offered on the X5M and X6M.
Ouch $4k...The way I look at it is that $4k is just another deposit on you and your family's safety opposed to having them in an unsafe vehicle...glad to hear your beast is screaming again I just got home from looking at the X5M I wanted to buy and unfortunatelly she's not the one. I took it out on another test drive and man that Akra exhaust sounded mean when i got on it! I brought my mechanic along this time and he found some small frame damage on the front passenger side, now I know why it took the dealer 3 days to email me a Carfax report. As for buying one of these out of warranty or not CPO'd your absolutely correct, I'm only looking for an X5M with an existing warranty or CPO. The LED headlights I bought are most likely going to be retrofitted into my 50i because it seems every dealer I've been to have been offering me between $25-30k on a trade in. At that price I'd rather keep it instead of losing over $10k from what i paid. KBB and NADA both list the trade in value between $27-33k(2011 X5 50i M Sport loaded with 53k miles)so much for BMW's retaining their value My truck still has a 3 yr 30k mile warranty that they would not reflect into the price of my trade in...i paid over $4k for it

Last edited by Cattivo; 03-21-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #18
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
That was your X5M I must of seen over on XOUTPOST a few months ago that has had me searching for that color combo...It reminded me of my Le Mans Blue 335 with Saddle Brown interior I had...best color combo imho...wanna sell it???
Hehe not yet. I'd like to enjoy it a few more years. It's only at 30 000 km.

As for repairs, no particular problems yet. Now up to 30 000 km, nothing has broken. I only have an uneven wear on the tires both rear and front and some cosmetic touch ups. I've already done 2 oil changes, one at 7 000 km for which I paid for and one at 20 000 km. I had to put 1 quart at 15 000 km.

Working as advertised except for some minor fixable details like the 12 volt plug going off after 30 minutes or an Idrive display bug after starting the vehicule.

Also, you have to live with the sandblasting of the lower rocker panels if you live up north.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #19
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also, you have to live with the sandblasting of the lower rocker panels if you live up north.
Thats for sure. I finally had a chance to wash my X and while the lower rockers aren't too bad, the front of the rear fenders are toast. And, mine is alpine white so its really noticeable. Maybe I'll get them repainted.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hehe not yet. I'd like to enjoy it a few more years. It's only at 30 000 km.

As for repairs, no particular problems yet. Now up to 30 000 km, nothing has broken. I only have an uneven wear on the tires both rear and front and some cosmetic touch ups. I've already done 2 oil changes, one at 7 000 km for which I paid for and one at 20 000 km. I had to put 1 quart at 15 000 km.

Working as advertised except for some minor fixable details like the 12 volt plug going off after 30 minutes or an Idrive display bug after starting the vehicule.

With all the electrical components these X5's have its a miracle that you don't see too many posts with major electrical problems. My friends X6M was nothing but an electrical nightmare from the day he bought it new...I guess we can deal with the normal minor issues we all have especially the way our batteries constantly drain. As for the lower rockers and rear fender flares its an absolute nightmare!!! my X5 has barely any paint left on the rear portion of the rockers and the front rear fender flares...they need to be resprayed and apply a clear bra to TRY and keep it from happening again. I wanted to put a set of spacers on all 4 wheels but I'm not sure if having them stick out further will destroy even more of the paint, BMW dropped the ball on that design feature

Last edited by Cattivo; 03-21-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
Thats for sure. I finally had a chance to wash my X and while the lower rockers aren't too bad, the front of the rear fenders are toast. And, mine is alpine white so its really noticeable. Maybe I'll get them repainted.
If you want I have a very good BMW certified shop that I have all my work done at
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #22
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
I've been looking to upgrade my 50i M Sport to an X5M for a few months now...my ideal color combo is MCB with either black or brown interior but unfortunately every MCB X in my area are ratty and have very high mileage...my other choice is AW with black interior...I found 1 i'm going to look at this weekend, my question is are there any open recalls or other factors i need to consider before i pull the trigger?(what to look for) it is still under factory warranty by the way...any advice is greatly appreciated
There is one for sale BMW of Bridgeport. I went from a 4.8 to the M and all I can say is wow. I love this SUV. Worth every dime. My warranty is up and my SA said the 6k for the 2 year warranty was not worth the money and the M cars hold up very well in his 20 year experience. I had issues with mine but all the common ones everyone else has had. I am a nut when it comes to a clean car and rattles and everything to work perfect. Also on the Job is CT local 992. this is mine
BMW of Bridgeport listing http://www.bmwofbridgeport.com/used/...5027c23558.htm