XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Reduced power after spark plug swap no codes

Hey guys,

Dealer swapped some leaking injectors the other day but left the messed up plugs since they aren't covered by extended warranty. I decided to complete the swap myself. Today when I started the car I noted the smell of gas from exhaust. I drove to work and the car feels super sluggish even in M mode. I figured I didn't plug a coil in all the way or something and waited till I got home to check with carly. No code for misfires but did get an intercooler code. I didn't buy the official carly adapter so no way to officially check the code meaning. When listening to the engine I'm hearing a "cow bell" tinking from that silver guy in the center of the first photo at about 120 bpm. I'm guessing it's one of those front two cylinders misfiring so I'll swap the plugs back when I get the chance. Any other ideas?

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Hey guys,

Dealer swapped some leaking injectors the other day but left the messed up plugs since they aren't covered by extended warranty. I decided to complete the swap myself. Today when I started the car I noted the smell of gas from exhaust. I drove to work and the car feels super sluggish even in M mode. I figured I didn't plug a coil in all the way or something and waited till I got home to check with carly. No code for misfires but did get an intercooler code. I didn't buy the official carly adapter so no way to officially check the code meaning. When listening to the engine I'm hearing a "cow bell" tinking from that silver guy in the center of the first photo at about 120 bpm. I'm guessing it's one of those front two cylinders misfiring so I'll swap the plugs back when I get the chance. Any other ideas?

I would inspect vacuum hoses, thick plastic ones and thin rubber ones, for damage/leaks. Make sure none of the rubber hoses got accidentally disconnected while you were working on it, check the air tanks as well. Plastic vacuum hoses will usually have oil residue if they are leaking. I noticed when I did my injectors/plugs that a lot of those are in the way and have to be moved for proper access.

With age and heat they become really brittle and it doesn't take much to damage either of them.

Vacuum leaks usually come with some sort of code but you never know...

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep

The car cooled down enough for me to pull the plugs this morning, but nothing seemed amiss. I threw the new ones back in and started it up...the fuel smell is gone and the bell noise appears to be normal as I noticed the same sound on the opposite side. Maybe my butt dyno is just imagining things. I ordered the official carly adapter and it should be here tomorrow.

I did do a quick check of all the hoses but didn't notice anything, but I was more focused on the plugs/cylinders. I'll check again when I get a chance.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
gleech
Rep
Drives: BMW E46M

I don't want to scare you, but just keep an eye since you got the injector replaced. My vehicle got the injector recall last summer and 6months after I'm getting reduced power and misfire. Turns out one of the injector got loose and damage the bore, dealer have to replaced the cylinder head.

All I'm saying is if you get any misfire, take it back to your dealer and have it check right away.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I did two things and the car is fixed. I pulled the first two plugs on the driver's side, inspected and reinstalled, then when checking the vacuum lines, found that the driver side one was partially kinked, so I gave it more slack to unkink it. Drove the car and it is back to normal. I didn't do anything special with the plugs so I'm guessing it was the lil baby vacuum line that made the car super slow?

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I did two things and the car is fixed. I pulled the first two plugs on the driver's side, inspected and reinstalled, then when checking the vacuum lines, found that the driver side one was partially kinked, so I gave it more slack to unkink it. Drove the car and it is back to normal. I didn't do anything special with the plugs so I'm guessing it was the lil baby vacuum line that made the car super slow?
Those are a pain in the a...
Appreciate 0