XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-27-2018, 03:51 AM   #1
Peilor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

X5 Cracked windshield - what to do?

If someone has experience with replacing the X5 windshield, I'd love for some tips.

Just got back from Tahoe and got caught up in snowstorm that resulted in a stone hitting my windshield and cracking it.

Spoke with Geico and they let me choose to either:

1) use Safelite who can replace the windshield

2) find a different shop and get reimbursement of $806 for the windshield and $40/h for labor.

I'm based in San Francisco, don't mind driving around the Bay area for a good shop someone had experience with. I hope they can do a proper job and handle the rain sensor / head on display . Other threads online suggest to avoid Safelite.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
No experience with the HUD but with other cars (e46, s4, etc) I've used Safelite a few times.

They had a generic glass (cheaper option) and an OE option. I did the cheaper option once and will never make that mistake again- wind noise was horrible (not sure if it was glass, rubber rand or just a shotty install related). Luckily and unluckily I cracked that one a month later and replaced with OE and no more wind noise...

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I just had mine replaced by safelite. I’ve had windshields replaced by them before and they were awesome. The most recent one was terrible, they broke plastics under the hood, didn’t reinstall the plastics properly, misrouted wires, installed the wipers incorrectly, and I had high battery drain for three days. When they came to fix it, I had a 5 hour window and they showed up 90 minutes after the 5 hour window.

I got aftermarket glass since that’s what insurance covered. It is a HUD and solar tint windshield and works fine...just like the original.

I think safelite’s rep depends on the specific shop you’re getting service from. I’d read their reviews in your area. Like I said before, I have had great replacements on three other cars by safelite, but the last shop I went to was garbage.
Appreciate 0