XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
GP Racing
Rep
Drives: E92 325i , X5 xDrive 3.0sd

Smile Is there a 5th seat option?

Articles on the pre-production X6's have stated that the X6 may come with a 5th seat option. Seeing the production versions and some of the spec sheets this does not seem true. Has anybody seen or read about a 5th seat option?

A 5th seat option would make this vehicle an option for me with a family as I have tired of the SUV look! The improved handling, fuel economy, and general sports appeal of an X6 over an X5 has me interested. Combining my desires for a coupe shape with performance and my wife's desire for SUV luxury & practicality makes the X6 bizarrely appealing.

GP Racing
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Tran
Rep
Drives: None

Yea. I'd like the X6 with 5th seat option too. I like everything about the X6, but lets see the price first. I hope X6 is not overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

There is no 5th seat option, which seems a mistake to me, even if it was just a child seat. 4-seats are fine for me, but I can see this being a deal-breaker for others.

Pricing is good in the UK and other European countries. In the UK the X6 has Nevada Leather included as standard, which means the price of the X5 3.0sd and the X6 35d are exactly the same. So price is not a deciding factor when choosing between X6 and X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
GP Racing
Rep

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies. I understand what BMW are trying to do with this car but only having 4 seats will definetly reduce its appeal to many. Are you listening BMW!:

They almost got it right. Having the ability for my wife to lug two kids with two friends would be ideal in a coupe cross over. I already have an X5 (great car) along with my E90 325i, but the X5 does not satisfy my urges as an enthusiast with real world practicalities.

My leases are coming up in the next 18mths so I may look elsewhere in the range. Maybe a 135i (for me) and an X3 (for the wife) would fit in the budget nicely, but so would an X6 and a 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

I actually support the 4 seat idea on X6. It isn't built for functionality.

plus it will be cannibalism for BMW to put 5 seats in X6. Since the prices are similar, people will buy X6 instead of a X5 and BMW will eat his own X5 sales...
      01-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
the X6 is amazing, except that is doesn't have the 5th seat option .
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
javajaws
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i AW/Saddle/msport

This would have been the perfect replacement for my 325. But I guess BMW doesn't want to market this to people who have 3 kids. What a shame.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
GP Racing
Rep

From the number of views of this thread it is clear that the X6 with a 5th seat option would interest more buyers. When you see this vehicle in the flesh (seen prototype at Sydney Motorshow) it is very alluring. My first impression was "what is that"? But I kept coming back to car to view the car during the show. It's different

This car makes more sense to me as SUV/SAV than the shoe boxes (styling and dynamics) that have been getting around for the last 10 years (I own an X5). These cars rarely go off road, but are practical, roomy, and are a great alternative to the station wagon. The X6 will have massively improved dynamics for a large car.

To satisfy all members of my family (2 adults, 2 kids) we want space, fuel economy, flexibilty, luxury, practicality, sports appeal, good looks (eye of the beholder), great dynamics and room to move 5 if we have to.

Come on BMW give us what we want.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

I would personally get dissapionted if I see a X6 filled with a family with 3 kids...

This beauty shouldn't be used as a van.

Thats what BMW also thinks, thats why there isn't a 5th seat option =)
      02-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post
I would personally get dissapionted if I see a X6 filled with a family with 3 kids...

This beauty shouldn't be used as a van.

Thats what BMW also thinks, thats why there isn't a 5th seat option =)
I for one would never buy an X5 because of the look. An X6 yes. BMW is in the business of making money. If sales for the X6 flop because they're limiting their range of potential customers then so be it.

Meanwhile they don't mind an M5 carrying five, or an M3 sedan. So, come on BMW - bring out the 5 seat X6 already.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Smile

Quote:
I actually support the 4 seat idea on X6. It isn't built for functionality.

plus it will be cannibalism for BMW to put 5 seats in X6. Since the prices are similar, people will buy X6 instead of a X5 and BMW will eat his own X5 sales...
The cannibalising sales arguement only works if models with a smaller profit margin eat into sales of a higher margin model. Eg. Porsche Cayman eating into 911 sales. X6 and X5 should have similar profit margins, X6 may even be more profitable (especially if people chose the V8 model).

On the other hand, I think they want to make sure the streets are not full of X6s. The exclusivity angle is important. I think this line of thinking is mostly a mistake for BMW. The car looks hot, and people will buy it on looks alone.

Customers shouldn't mind if they see one on every street corner.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #12
GP Racing
Rep

Well put. I feel that BMW needs to rethink the 5th seat seriously.

My X5 has been terrific but I will not buy another, as my lust for a more dynamic family vehicle burns. The X6 will definitely, ride, corner, and steer better than an X5 but is still big enough to run a family of 4 (hopefully 5) around. The car breaks new ground and looks extraordinary.

Here in Australia because of our tax laws the X6 ( xdrive 3.0d/35d) will be cheaper than a 530i or 530i touring. All that's missing is that bloody 5th seat
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #13
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

I agree with you. BMW should probably have followed a similar route to Porsche with its Cayenne GTS, by making the 5th seat only a child seat with the two main rear seats being heavily bucketed.

But then BMW have now moved to having all their coupe's fitted with a centre tunnel at the rear to make a clear distinction between coupe and sedan models. However this probably an example of their design language tripping up against common sense.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
The cannibalising sales arguement only works if models with a smaller profit margin eat into sales of a higher margin model. Eg. Porsche Cayman eating into 911 sales. X6 and X5 should have similar profit margins, X6 may even be more profitable (especially if people chose the V8 model).

On the other hand, I think they want to make sure the streets are not full of X6s. The exclusivity angle is important. I think this line of thinking is mostly a mistake for BMW. The car looks hot, and people will buy it on looks alone.

Customers shouldn't mind if they see one on every street corner.
Current X5 will be also mounted with the DPC system, and the Twin Turbo V8 that is being offered with the X6. This means that X5 will be handling as much as the X6 with the upcoming facelift.

That is why X6 will not have a 5th seat option. If you want to take your kids away in a big BMW SUV, you have to get the X5.
      02-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Current X5 will be also mounted with the DPC system, and the Twin Turbo V8 that is being offered with the X6. This means that X5 will be handling as much as the X6 with the upcoming facelift.

That is why X6 will not have a 5th seat option. If you want to take your kids away in a big BMW SUV, you have to get the X5.
Or I can still seat 5 in my VW Golf GTI. I won't be buying an X5 ever, based on the way it looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

How would you fit 3 fat ass americans in the back..buy the X5 is ya need more room the X6 I love just like it is..and yeah I'm a big dude myself, and hell even if it is a kid do i wanna be touching somebody....leave it...IMHO
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #17
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI View Post
How would you fit 3 fat ass americans in the back..buy the X5 is ya need more room the X6 I love just like it is..and yeah I'm a big dude myself, and hell even if it is a kid do i wanna be touching somebody....leave it...IMHO
I never sit in the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Or I can still seat 5 in my VW Golf GTI. I won't be buying an X5 ever, based on the way it looks.

Don't buy a X5. Or a X6. They're clearly not meant for you ok? You want 5 seats and you wanna lower the vehicle down.... just go buy sth else...
      02-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
I agree with you. BMW should probably have followed a similar route to Porsche with its Cayenne GTS, by making the 5th seat only a child seat with the two main rear seats being heavily bucketed.

But then BMW have now moved to having all their coupe's fitted with a centre tunnel at the rear to make a clear distinction between coupe and sedan models. However this probably an example of their design language tripping up against common sense.

Agreed, with the rest of the coupes there is only two doors and there is a clear distinction because of this but with the X6 the only real difference between it and the X5 is the roof line and minus the middle seat, it isn't really a coupe as such.

A big mistake from BMW in my opinion, with 3 kids it rules me out as a car for the wife.
Appreciate 0