XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Nevert00fast
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 48i, Mini Cooper S, 997TT

20" wheel/tire road noise

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum, recently just picked up a '09 4.8i with 14k. It came with the 19" sport wheels that comes with the sport package and it had the Michelin RFT on the wheels. I just changed them out for a set of OEM 20" 214 wheels with Dunlop RFT. After the swap I noticed a fair amount increase in road noise. Like just cruising it seems louder, when coming to a full stop at low speed I feel the brake friction more..etc. Are these a result from going to a lower profile tires? TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Portlinggi
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i E70N 2011 (RHD)

Just change my 2 month old 19" Y Spoke BMW original light alloy rim that had continental RFT fitted on it to BMW genuine 20" X6M Double Spoke Style 300 rim fitting it with OEM Bridgestone RFT. The 19" tire was not as noisy as my 20" tire though both are RFT. Maybe because of the width of the tires which are a bit wider than before. And its lower profile does not provide the extra cushion effect of the former.

Anyway, i feel continental is less noisier. Tried to go for non RFT. Continental has it but could get it on time. Have to wait for 8 days. Just too excited. So Bridgestone it was for me. Anyway, it's not that bad I feel. Some post suggest that it get worse after a year of usage. Well just got to cross my fingers and wait
Appreciate 0