XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
BMWSingh
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5 35i

Transmission Adaptation Reset

Vehicle was slight hesitant while shifting gears on 8HP transmission, so I did clear transmission adaptations using protool app. Later on realized that it should only be done if any hardware is changed like valvebody or seals and then there is relearn procedure that is also needed. If the relearn process is not done then it may cause transmission not shifting properly or it may result damage as well.

So I am concerned, what can be done at this point ? I cannot find anywhere relearn procedure for 8HP. Does changing the fluid will help ? It's not done before.

Not driven the vehicle yet after clearing adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:06 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSingh View Post
Vehicle was slight hesitant while shifting gears on 8HP transmission, so I did clear transmission adaptations using protool app. Later on realized that it should only be done if any hardware is changed like valvebody or seals and then there is relearn procedure that is also needed. If the relearn process is not done then it may cause transmission not shifting properly or it may result damage as well.

So I am concerned, what can be done at this point ? I cannot find anywhere relearn procedure for 8HP. Does changing the fluid will help ? It's not done before.

Not driven the vehicle yet after clearing adaptations.
Its rare that resetting the adaptations can cause issues, this only happens if the transmission is so worn out that the pressures and fill times are so extreme that when you reset it cant adjust quick enough and errors out. A transmission that worn out is on borrowed time anyway. Chances are you will be fine.

You should do the relearn procedure however which is pretty basic but Best to do in late at with little traffic. You will notice the transmission being a little funky on shifting until the adaptations get set:

Start out on a Smooth level road with little to no stops. Using 25% throttle, accelerate and allow the transmission to go through all gears up to 55- 65mph, then coast to a near stop without touching the brake until the very end, allowing the transmission to downshift through all the gears. Do this cycle at least 4 times. Then repeat at 40% throttle. Repeat again in m/s mode and again manually shifting and downshifting.

Now take it out on the freeway and accelerate up to freeway speeds, then allow it to downshift when getting off the freeway. Again best do this late at night with no traffic as to not cause an accident. Do this a few times in all modes. From here you you should feel the transmission is pretty solid. It will continue to adapt over the next week of normal driving.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
BMWSingh
Rep

Thanks Sophisticated Redneck !, will try the procedure
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSingh View Post
Thanks Sophisticated Redneck !, will try the procedure
Good info from Sophisticated Redneck. Be aware, the shifting will feel "jolting" and not very smooth for a bit. This is normal. Just keep going with the relearn and it will continue to smooth out. At least that was the behavior I observed with our E61 with the 6hp19 in it after a trans service and reset of trans adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #5
BMWSingh
Rep

yes i will change the fluid then relearn
Appreciate 0