XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

I tried these oils on x5d..

not looking to turn this into another oil thread of 600 pages, I tried the following oils on the x5 E70 diesel and here's my feedback (just my own judgement based on butt dyno and engine noise)

- 5w-40 Amsoil low Saps Synthetic:
TERRIBLE - The engine rattling went through the roof, acceleration felt suppressed, mpg went down, I had to change it the next day, wasted a 100 bucks

- 5w-30 LIQUI MOLY (light blue containter, not top tech, i forgot the name)
Not Bad - Slightly better mpg thank stock oil, still engine didnt feel performing at its peak, good alternate to stock though

- 5w- 40 LIQUI MOLY Top Tech:
Not bad but too thick for the engine, suffered loss of acceleration but noise went down considerably, mpg went down little, good protection though,

- 5w- 30 BMW LL04 STOCK DIESEL OIL:
In my opinion this is the best oil for the engine, with Other oils I felt the engine was either suffering from loss of acceleration or increased noise (diesel rattling on idle) ... I busted my own bubble trying to find an oil better than stock, nay .. Motul is too expensive I change oil at 4.5k
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

I agree with you on Amsoil. I gave the signature 5w30 low saps in the x5d a try - did not like the characteristic changes to the engine, much of the same you mentioned. Note they have recently reformulated and is no longer "low saps". They fail to mention this ANYWHERE and now cant even find a saps reference in the documentation, they just removed the "low saps" label off the bottle. The only information I could find regarding this was some third party article talking about the reformalation having an "optimal blend" of SAPS. I try my best not to support companies that actively try to mislead their customers.

Last couple changes I have used Valvoline Synpower MST 5W30 and have been happy with the results so far.
Appreciate 0