XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #1
OP_osterchild
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Nightmare X6 3.5i

Hey there all,
Recently picked up an 09 n54 x6 to quickly replace a lost vehicle...shows it's age in some ways, fantastic condition in others.
I'm shocked at how this beastly thing handles honestly, dropped a RaceChip in it, and the engine feels more like it should...very decaffeinated stock.
I've had a numver of extremely frustating issues that I've been sorting through a step at a time, but seem to be hiting a wall with a sudden tsunami of errors...here's a couple things I hit in the last couple of months.
-both vanos sensors replaced to correct the usual vanos codes and to stop the engine from randonly going into limp mode...very frustrating
-airflow and intake sensors replaced to correct a lean condition and other errors

this was a weird one...

-oil spraying all over the charge tube and all over the alternator, using way too much oil, and getting an oil level sensor failed error, even though it always seemed to read the proper oil level....this strange combination of issues was actually just an oil filter that was full of garbage and not flowing oil properly...i was looking at seals and wear, anything I could, but after replacing the filter, the errors and oil spray have been corrected...ridiculous, and unfortunately I already had a number of replacement parts in hand...whatever...problem fixed!

I have a broken coil spring and a bad alignment that just ate a brand new set of tires...trying to get that sorted out as quickly as possible, frustrating way to spend a set of 275/40/20 rubber in a short period.

Recently I've been getting a parking brake error...persistent, wasn't at first, but it comes on right away now after starting the car, or after clearing the code. The parking brake works perfectly, no issues other than the error. From what I'm seeing on line that could be an amperage issues with the electric motor in the parking brake module...but of course, shortly after that started I began getting a massive load of DSC and tire pressure errors and lights just to confuse the crap out of everything...those lights take a while to come on....DSC first, the tire pressure shortly afterwards...I can't seem to find a way to trigger it, not speed, time, or distance related as near as I can tell. Sometimes right away, sometimes 40 minutes into the drive.

It was suggested that it could be a wheel speed sensor, but no codes indicate that...and occasionally I was getting other lights going off, and 4x4 failed...dash lit up like a christmas tree...requires a stop and restart to clear that mess.

As I've been pulling codes....like too many to understand...I've also noticed PT-CAN disconnect or interrupt errors that I'm wondering about possibly being a root cause...

most recently, and probably most annoyingly...my rear hatch release has started opening randomly and repeatedly...sometimes many many times in a row, sometimes just occasionally... (my power tailgate doesn't work so it doesn't open each time...think a module is required there, but it hasn't worked since I got it, and it ran code free for a month or so).

Last couple of days, it's happening so frequently that it's draining the battery enough to clear my console...tripometer, fuel economy, vehicle clock/time setting...and once that happens the convenience locks also stop working and I have to (gasp) push a button to unlock the doors...

I replaced the battery since the old one seemed ok, but felt like it was turning over slow...that was an expensive battery change good grief...new battery is registered...appears to charge fine, but I noticed that when the battery goes very low, that seems to trigger the 4x4, etc full christmas tree...once the battery charges up a bit and it's restarted that goes away...

I honestly have no words for how sickk and tired I am of this car right now, but it's my daily and I commute a minimum of 180km a day...not a thing I llike to mess with.

Friends...I'd appreciate any help or guidance you're able to provide on this one...it's exhausting my time and energy, and I already haven't got enough time at home with the high demands of my job taking me away....

thanks in advance....seriously...this thing is stressing me out!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 08:47 PM   #2
jaitoon
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Cut your losses and trade it in.

With that many issues, you are looking at a money pit. At this point, save yourself the stress and frustration. Trade it in or sell it if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:25 AM   #3
OP_osterchild
Registered
Rep

yeah...I feel that...not in a position to take the loss though with the market as messed up as it still is so that's my absolute last resort...but I get that's pretty much where I'm at.
Appreciate any insight regardless...even if it's just to validate that fully.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:46 AM   #4
jaitoon
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

If you really want to tackle these issues on the 35i, you may want to reach out to members like Sophisticated Redneck, and there a few other like him - they have done a ton of DIY work on their rides. Specifically the X6 50i. But I think they can still be of help. These guys are the real deal and they know their stuff. Sophisticated Redneck has been around for awhile, and I know that lots of folk have tapped into his knowledge base. Wont hurt to either DM him or reach out through this forum.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Grab a Trunk module on Amazon...100 dollars Canadian vice 1000 from a dealer....

https://www.amazon.ca/figatia-Contro...s%2C127&sr=8-4

Sounds like you have a scanner....I have a Foxwell and reside in Atlantic Canada - PM me if you want to see how far you are from me....unless your a liberal

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 04-18-2024 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:07 PM   #6
OP_osterchild
Registered
Rep

only thing I'm liberal about is throttle application and doing questionable things

Thanks all, appreciate the input...
Work is keeping me on the road far too much lately.
Quick update...the only code remaining at the moment is the parking brake fault (although it still works just fine...duh).

Just suddenly didn't code for the round trip commute (about 160km)...faulted one way the next day...and now two days in without faulting, which is why I wasn't feeling very confident about a speed sensor...I honestly don't know about this thing....frustrating.

Yeh I have a couple of scanners, handheld and phone based including bimmerlink...honestly not giving me much more than weirdness and a couple comms losses from the look of it...

even the wonky random and frequent locking and opening the trunk until the battery died has stopped...I'm inclined to think maybe it's a short somewhere or something...never a good scene.

Appreciate your thoughts all...have to get a broken front spring changed and an alignment asap...nearly through a set of front tires...quite tired...oh nevermind lol...can't do it....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:32 AM   #7
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Check the ground straps....see if any are corroded or broken...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 11:07 AM   #8
thiefcrazy98
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Grab a Trunk module on Amazon...100 dollars Canadian vice 1000 from a dealer....

https://www.amazon.ca/figatia-Contro...s%2C127&sr=8-4

Sounds like you have a scanner....I have a Foxwell and reside in Atlantic Canada - PM me if you want to see how far you are from me....unless your a liberal
Don't like liberals?
Appreciate 0