XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Speeding

I never understood the time and money people put into not getting a speeding ticket these days (radar, jammers, camo plates, etc). I would hope the drivers that I assume speed on a regular basis for which a ticket would be issued know that speeding causes more than 10,000 deaths per year (a large amount of the entire road related deaths). If you want to drive faster than the speed limit than either face the consequences or put up some $$ to get on a track / private road.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/media/press...308_speed.html

Moderator Note: thread split off from radar detector discussion.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
I never understood the time and money people put into not getting a speeding ticket these days (radar, jammers, camo plates, etc). I would hope the drivers that I assume speed on a regular basis for which a ticket would be issued know that speeding causes more than 10,000 deaths per year (a large amount of the entire road related deaths). If you want to drive faster than the speed limit than either face the consequences or put up some $$ to get on a track / private road.

Thanks mom.

Let's all go back to cars with 85 mph speedos.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
Quote:

Thanks mom.

You're welcome kiddo. Now go back to racing your little ricers around town acting all fast and furious
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4

Lol 10k is a solid number but petty compared to 314m people and 200m drivers. Most of those deaths are from dangerous speeds. Go home with your antics. Nobody wants to see this hear please. Most people with radar detectors, on avg, go 15-25 miles over limit. Extremely safe for these cars. Keep driving your M4 like a 65 y/o would drive his Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5
Quote:

Lol 10k is a solid number but petty compared to 314m people and 200m drivers. Most of those deaths are from dangerous speeds. Go home with your antics. Nobody wants to see this hear please. Most people with radar detectors, on avg, go 15-25 miles over limit. Extremely safe for these cars. Keep driving your M4 like a 65 y/o would drive his Corvette.
+1 this is not about driving fast and furious. There is no place for that on public roads. It's about avoiding pointless speed traps and other local enforcement fundraisers. What I equate with the TSA frisking grandam in her wheelchair as she goes through security.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess people like you will never understand. I'm most likely younger than you but prefer to go fast on the big boy track, not the public highway. Maybe I am a lone voice on this forum since I lost someone close to me due to speeding but a forum should be open to all opinions, no? Even I would hate to see your 'handle' name befit you in the future but I wouldn't put past me to say I told you so...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
F80M4ROCKS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecleland
Quote:
Quote:

+1 this is not about driving fast and furious. There is no place for that on public roads. It's about avoiding pointless speed traps and other local enforcement fundraisers. What I equate with the TSA frisking grandam in her wheelchair as she goes through security.
1+ completely agree
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:

You sir are not allowed to bring common sense to this forum.

It is an assumption (large one) that most of the M forum drivers have obtained some of these radar devices to avoid being ticketed for "marginal speeding" (i.e. 5-10 mph over speed limit). In my occupation, any fine or ticket becomes a reportable event and discoverable when re-credentialing for privileges at a healthcare institution...an event that I care to avoid.

Having said that, as an individual who has spent over a decade putting folks back together after motor vehicle accidents, etc., I am entirely sensitive and respectful of your opinion.

At the end of the day, one of the most dangerous activities we perform involves sitting behind the wheel of a "missile" traveling at low or high velocity in the same and in opposite direction to other "missiles" also traveling at low or high velocity.

Be safe everybody.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
If you want to drive faster than the speed limit than either face the consequences or put up some $$ to get on a track / private road.
That's certainly not bad advice at all. But do you really drive your M4 at or below the speed limit all the time, no exceptions? If so, I will both commend you for amazing discipline and also sympathize with you for what must be challenging to your strict resolve on this issue in some particular instances.

Quote:
You're welcome kiddo. Now go back to racing your little ricers around town acting all fast and furious
I would caution any forum member against making assumptions which imply that egregious wrecklessness is always found in conjunction with speeding. You are making a fairly iffy judgment call with a comment like this, and moreover you are treading dangerously close to being overtly self righteous which won't do much good for getting others to listen to and absorb your message.

It's terrible that you've lost a loved one in a traffic accident involving excessive speed. I am sorry for your loss. It has no doubt made a big impact on you, and I'm sure you only wish to see it make a positive impact on others as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

I may have been a bit misunderstood with my last comment. I'm not saying I always go at or below the speed limit, but I do not go at high enough speeds to warrant a jammer/detector. Rather, I go with the flow of traffic.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my F&F comment, but if you give a senseless comment you get a senseless comment. I don't expect everyone on here to absorb my opinions anyways, I merely write for my own entertainment.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

/end thread
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Some speed limits are set artificially low for the roads. That is part of the problem. No doubt crashing at a higher speed cause more carnage than lower one. IMO, it is more dangerous for a huge differential of speeds amongst vehicles than everyone going at a moderate pace.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

I understand where you are coming from and am sorry for your loss.

In my opinion, it really depends on the intentions and how people use devices like radar detectors and jammers. If used to avoid speed traps or while passing somebody on the interstate (even if you're going 10-15mph over the limit) is reasonable in my mind, it is often difficult to overtake somebody on the interstate without speeding. On the other hand if the intention is to use the devices to drive recklessly while trying to avoid cops, then it's not very responsible or considerate of others.

But people will make their own choices for better or worse.
      01-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Sorry for your lose, figures why you are defending the original statement. Happy New Year and be safe sir.

Quote:
I may have been a bit misunderstood with my last comment. I'm not saying I always go at or below the speed limit, but I do not go at high enough speeds to warrant a jammer/detector. Rather, I go with the flow of traffic.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my F&F comment, but if you give a senseless comment you get a senseless comment. I don't expect everyone on here to absorb my opinions anyways, I merely write for my own entertainment.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I see. In that case, hopefully you've gained some valuable knowledge as far as the great variety of people and situations that may lead to a radar detector purchase.

Quote:
Well, he could have been less sarcastic, yes. But to be fair you did make a rather broad and preachy statement that, had you been distinctly and keenly aware of the different types of scenarios out there people are trying to protect themselves from, you quite probably would not have swept such a broad stroke with.

I've never felt the need to invest in a detector myself, and it's good to know that others like yourself also don't find it necessary. Some states have very strict limits with harsh penalties. I also found the comment made by the medical professional very enlightening. Were my place of residence or profession different, I might find myself looking at ways to avoid a costly citation. One great thing about a forum like this is it can give you new perspective that may help you better relate to those facing different circumstances than yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Personally, I speed within reason, like 70-75 on a 65 on a clear day with minimal traffic, only because the LA area is full of douchebags that'll tailgate/flash high beams at you for going the de facto speed limit, not to mention if I wanted something designed for the speed limit I'd get a Prius since it feels kinda... Aesthetically weird to go the speed limit in my E90 in my opinion, I don't know why.

However, back when I actually had a radar detector, it was only there because my dad gave me his after he sold his car, and I hated getting BS tickets and feeding the government more money than they deserve; the last time I got a tax refund was 2009 (only $56) and had to pay every year since and nothing substantial has resulted from my tax dollars, but that's another story for another time.

Yet, like others are saying... In my opinion, there's a huge difference between the scenario of 5-10 over in the interest of keeping up with the flow, then there's reckless on inappropriate situations, like Hondouches who break triple digits with plenty of other cars around.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #17
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Just a while ago on the way home from an errand I punched it in the left lane while exclaiming "hole-shot!" because there was a large gap in traffic. Got it up to about 85 before slowing down for traffic. Very exhilarating. No one endangered. True story.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
Jamaro
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Thanks mom.

I remember that era. I want to forget that era.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
If you think that will protect you, see my comments in the other speeding thread. When I get that bail around $500, my next investment may be an advanced early warning system.

I've never driven in Illinois, so have no idea what it's like compared to here in Cali. The night after my "encounter" I drove home, never more than 10 over the posted, in the HOV lane, and people behind me were PISSED!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

That linked study is SO flawed. The place in which TX increased speed limits to 80+ MPH saw a DROP in speed related deaths. If you read anything about our increases in highway deaths, it's due to poor infrastructure and increased oil field truck traffic on roads that weren't designed for it in the Permian Basin and Eagle Ford shale areas of the state.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Notice in recent years the government and police do not say speeding caused the accident, why, they been hammered on this false claim. Most accidents happen because of bad and poor drivers and they now say Speed was factor. Speed of the car is always a factor for the seriousness of the accident. You can going the speed limit and still die in an accident if that speed was too fast for the current condition.

The problem today, it is hard to stop and pull over poor drivers and fine them for the bad things they do on the roads every day. However, it is easy for police to stop someone for speeding even though it may not be dangerous at the time. Also, speeding tickets have become a revenue generator for governments. So you think it is fair government to collect hundred of millions in speeding fine so they can waste it on the stupid things they do.

I live in PA, where only the State Police on major highways are allowed to ticket speed using Radar, they also are not legally allowed to ticket you for less than 6 over. All other police have to use old fashion ways and usually do not bother. Also PA does not heavily ticket for speeding. PA is one of the states with more highway than most. Because of this you would think PA would have a much higher accident rate per million miles driven, it does not, it is no worse than any other state, it is actually better than some of the states that have heavy enforcement like VA.

The government for a time period attempt to say that heavy enforcement of speed limits reduced the deaths on the highways, when in fact it has nothing to do with speed enforcement but how cars are built today. Car Technology has saved lives not some police officer standing on the side of the road with a radar. Accident rates have not really changed much per million miles driven but accidents with serious injury and death rates have decrease even though people drive on average faster today. You all seen the bad accident with BMW and people walking away, that would not have happen 20 30 yrs ago.

Speeding does not kill people, poor drivers kill people.

Last edited by Maestro; 01-13-2015 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Number one killer on the roads is inattentive drivers, not very confident maneuvers and simply not being aware of your surroundings.