XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
"Engine Malfunction- Reduced Power" seems to be BMW's equivalent of MS's
"Blue screen of Death" .
I'm @ 30,000km now &
It's happened on my x6 3.5i once, between X'mas & nyr's, but restarted engine & drove fine (thought nothing more of it over the holidays) until today,
i.e. Engine suddenly ran rough & Cntl Message threw up EM-ReP, tried restarting & ran ok for less than 1km. three separate times.
Called for app't to have dealer do their song & dance tomorrow.
When I need normal maintenance I make an appt, when car breaks I drive (or tow) to the service dept right then.

let us know how this turns out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #24
CodyATX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M

Just picked my X6 35i up from the dealer today after getting the HPFP swapped out. Got the reduced engine over the weekend had it towed in on Monday. Its less than a month old with 2k miles! I knew this was a problem on earlier year models but thought they would have a fix by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #25
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Dealer replaced high pressure pump (pt.#13-51-7-592-881) &
ASA Bolt (Whatever this is ? 11-13-7-529-690). Then took them 3 tries to update programming, so it stayed over lastnight.
Lost some addresses in the Navigation mode of idrive.
Wondering how safe is new idrive w/builtin harddrive during a program update.??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #26
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dealer replaced high pressure pump (pt.#13-51-7-592-881) &
ASA Bolt (Whatever this is ? 11-13-7-529-690). Then took them 3 tries to update programming, so it stayed over lastnight.
Lost some addresses in the Navigation mode of idrive.
Wondering how safe is new idrive w/builtin harddrive during a program update.??
since the x6 has a USB port I wonder why BMW doesn't provide a method to back up settings, etc when this needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #27
TheX6M
Rep
Drives: X6M 2010 , 1M and now M5 2013

engin falut ..reduce power

I had the same problem on my previous X6-5.0 especially in summer time (40 to 47 C over here in Dubai) .checked with the dealer they told me it is a programiming issue and I have to install the update .They've done the programing update for the car but the problem was still there .the update was a desaster in term of performance and it has more saftey mesure which always restrict the car .This is why I sold it .I've heared that it is common in both 3.5 and 5.0 also 3serice 3.5 has the same issue .

lucky enough nothing similar in the X6M till now .I've done some long trip with high speed and all looks great
      01-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #28
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Engine Malfunction - Technicians Dumbfounded!

10 days after I thought they fixed it by replacing the HPFP, the idiot light came back on!
After a whole day in the garage the mechanics are scratching their heads & waiting for further instructions from ??? headquarters back in Munchen!
I thought they can change a whole engine in minutes in F1 ?
Oh I forget ... (slap my forehead)...they are not in F1 anymore!

As related to me by the SA, apparently they have been prescribed to only deal with warranty repairs in a linear, step by step manner.

This is reminding me of the wrong battery problem from the factory.
That took them 3 strikes, after i told them to look for the right battery part number based on the Car & Driver longtermer article!

They cannot jump to brilliant deductions, pinpoint the issue, with brilliant understand of the latest turbocharger technology(they've only won Engine of the Year at least 2x), diagnose & fix/replace the turbo wastegate actuators (if that's the offending component) immediately...

So they replace the HPFP on the 1st complaint, then if problem recurs, fix/replace the next component that's next in line on the 2nd complaint, then the next next component if problem is not fixed...all down the line.
The dealer technicians seem to have been turned into car part shufflers (instead of paper shufflers & pencil pushers).

No wonder they lost the war !

Too bad owners have to keep bringing their cars back!

That means BMW don't have to provide much training to their mechanics!
Anyone who can do paint by numbers can repair any BMW !

Right now a LEXUS sounds pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #29
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
10 days after I thought they fixed it by replacing the HPFP, the idiot light came back on!
After a whole day in the garage the mechanics are scratching their heads & waiting for further instructions from ??? headquarters back in Munchen!
I thought they can change a whole engine in minutes in F1 ?
Oh I forget ... (slap my forehead)...they are not in F1 anymore!

As related to me by the SA, apparently they have been prescribed to only deal with warranty repairs in a linear, step by step manner.

This is reminding me of the wrong battery problem from the factory.
That took them 3 strikes, after i told them to look for the right battery part number based on the Car & Driver longtermer article!

They cannot jump to brilliant deductions, pinpoint the issue, with brilliant understand of the latest turbocharger technology(they've only won Engine of the Year at least 2x), diagnose & fix/replace the turbo wastegate actuators (if that's the offending component) immediately...

So they replace the HPFP on the 1st complaint, then if problem recurs, fix/replace the next component that's next in line on the 2nd complaint, then the next next component if problem is not fixed...all down the line.
The dealer technicians seem to have been turned into car part shufflers (instead of paper shufflers & pencil pushers).

No wonder they lost the war !

Too bad owners have to keep bringing their cars back!

That means BMW don't have to provide much training to their mechanics!
Anyone who can do paint by numbers can repair any BMW !

Right now a LEXUS sounds pretty good.
Don`t know about the BMW X6 yet, how frustrate it may be. But there is no such car that don't brake. Even Lexus is braking. And they mechanics aren't smarter. I own Hummer right now, and you know it may looks like a simple car with no super pupper chargers and etc. But it still brakes, simple fucking things. And when u go there to dealership for repair service - its so annoying, they fixing wrong things, when u tell them to put synthetic oil they putting regular.....i can tell you thousands of the problems story with Hummer dealership. What i figured out is more important, HOW THEY TRYING to fix the problem.

PS. One last wild example. Every time when i`m giving my hummer for repair - i have to wait or come back later for it. And guess what ?? There is no free rides from GM, the best they can do is call a taxi for you. And waiting area doesn't exist in GM shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #30
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Yes BMW does try to minimize the pain but they are their own worst enemy with this set of problems in this car. They need to allow the technicians some leeway so they can diagnose and fix the problem right the first time. In mycase, they only got to the diagnosis of a loose wastegate (which required replacing the turbos) after they tried everything else twice, and that was too late.

The step by step process of elimination and needing to go through the loop more than once, with delays for interaction with the factory, frequently brings the situation into lemon law territory. When you add the easily fixed but frequently failing HPFP onto the difficult to diagnose waste gate and boost leak problems and the battery issues, you have, shall we say, an ownership experience that is, shall we just say, not up to par.

I'm surprised BMWNA hasn't stepped in yet for Archwerks. I'm also surprised the factory hasn't come up with a test for loose wastegate and added it to the standard test proceedure. I'm concerned they are ditching the N54 engine for the N55 instead of sticking with it and fixing its reliability problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #31
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

turbo trouble

Apparently they found broken actuator rod in one of the turbos & they'll replace the turbos.
Sidelined for parts from back east. big job to repair when it gets here.
Out of commission for at least 2-3 days.
Maybe turbo engines are too complicated, should look @NA engines next time.
How does it break @30,000 kms, when I don't take it to the track & just drive 80% city 20% interurban??
Is it worth keeping the car when it's out of warranty? or buy xtended?
Something for all owners to think about.
Will report back on Sat. or next Monday, if they get it fixed.

Not enjoying my x3 loaner without Active Steering & Autohold magnetic brake, & running boards for stepping on for ingress/egress, idrive for bluetooth phone & ipod & PDC.
Amazing how all these options make driving the car so much more enjoyable !

Last edited by archwerks; 01-20-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #32
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Yes BMW does try to minimize the pain but they are their own worst enemy with this set of problems in this car. They need to allow the technicians some leeway so they can diagnose and fix the problem right the first time. In mycase, they only got to the diagnosis of a loose wastegate (which required replacing the turbos) after they tried everything else twice, and that was too late.

The step by step process of elimination and needing to go through the loop more than once, with delays for interaction with the factory, frequently brings the situation into lemon law territory. When you add the easily fixed but frequently failing HPFP onto the difficult to diagnose waste gate and boost leak problems and the battery issues, you have, shall we say, an ownership experience that is, shall we just say, not up to par.

I'm surprised BMWNA hasn't stepped in yet for Archwerks. I'm also surprised the factory hasn't come up with a test for loose wastegate and added it to the standard test proceedure. I'm concerned they are ditching the N54 engine for the N55 instead of sticking with it and fixing its reliability problems.
I wonder how this engine will do in the 7 series. I agree there are enough failures to take it into lemon territory or even class action. I expected the first vehicles after launch to have some problems but for the same problems to be occurring on this years model sort of does look like BMW doesn't give a shit. They seem to think that their "talk to your service center" absolves them of any responsibility. The auto business is going to be tougher than it has ever been and brand loyalty will be the differentiator. At least they should have a line you can call to get expedited help like when the dealer needs a part.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #33
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

no option

yes, keeping these high tech machines beyond the warranty period becomes less & less of an option. I mean if u have to change a turbo charger every 30,000 km ! out of warranty! However well it drives, who needs the headache?
A friend who was considering the x5 3.5 D just drop it from his list after hearing my x6 problems!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #34
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Petition for Total Turbo Recall!

Does anyone know any lawyers who specialize in lemon laws/class action/ recall petition?
Or if it's worth the trouble? Or just ditch the brand? Let the market take care of it like the Sudden Acceleration Syndrome that Audi had back in the early '80s when 60 minutes had a program on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hilarious & Outrageous!

Good to hear bmw confirm they r going to R & R the 2 turbos in my 3.5i.....
Good 2 hear they even have all the parts !
Good 2 hear they may even have it all done by Saturday!
So I asked ( I know I shouldn't have, but I wanted 2 know if my guess was way off),
" How much would this exercise have cost me if it was out of warranty??"
Reply " $ 7000 " !
My next question when I pick up (or for anyone having the same issue) will be to the shop foreman or service manager'
"How many N54 Engines require turbocharger replacement ? & @ what mileage interval ?"

I mean, imagine doing a crosscountry trip of a lifetime, & get stuck somewhere for an extra week or 2 ( if they don't have the parts & even if they overnight express fedex the parts in from Munchen, provided they have it there, sitting on a shelf, waiting for ur beckon call!)

My question is how many vehicles w/ N54s will be keepers beyond the warranty period?

It would not be the 1st to have good design, even Award Winning, but bad execution.

" The Ultimate Driving Machine" ,
Yes, when it's on the road & not on a hoist under repair!

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!.....
Next, AMG ML 6.3.... or Audi A8 Spyder...The journey continues.....

Last edited by archwerks; 01-21-2010 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes, keeping these high tech machines beyond the warranty period becomes less & less of an option. I mean if u have to change a turbo charger every 30,000 km ! out of warranty! However well it drives, who needs the headache?
A friend who was considering the x5 3.5 D just drop it from his list after hearing my x6 problems!

I wonder if BMW has thought this through, the reason they have their reputation and the reason people will pay a premium price for their cars is there are lots of 5,10,15,20 year old BMW's running around.

If the quality is going to suck to the point that when the car is out of warranty and things like turbos (which BMW is going to in all their models) have to be replaced at $7k-10k a pop they will not be as desirable. If they are not as desirable then resale demises , then value of new ones will not hold up.

All of the old ones you see running around are NA , I don't think you will see the same number after the turbo's have made their way down through the line over the years (i'm not thrilled with turbo lag in new one). There are two things that MUST be in a BMW in order for me to pay the high price, QUALITY and PERFORMANCE.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #37
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
" How much would this exercise have cost me if it was out of warranty??"
Reply " $ 7000 " !

My question is not many vehicles w/ N54s will be keepers beyond the warranty period?
Well i`m for sure not gonna keep the car after the lease. Not worth it. Any kind of hight level car will be a NIGHTMARE after warranty will run out. Repair service is a goldmine for Dealers, they dont make money on sale, as much as they do on REPAIRS, PARTS....etc
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #38
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
Well i`m for sure not gonna keep the car after the lease. Not worth it. Any kind of hight level car will be a NIGHTMARE after warranty will run out. Repair service is a goldmine for Dealers, they dont make money on sale, as much as they do on REPAIRS, PARTS....etc
Yes, The 3 of 4 dealers in the metro area that i frequent are usually all booked solid, a week to 10 days ahead.
Now are they all for regular maintenance??

Should we, the customers be the victim of their success?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #39
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, The 3 of 4 dealers in the metro area that i frequent are usually all booked solid, a week to 10 days ahead.
Now are they all for regular maintenance??

Should we, the customers be the victim of their success?
No we shouldnt be, but here is the catch, for each car that you buying, repair cost is already included into the price. So - the more expensive car - the more money you are paying for repair when you buying it. Its like a on ebay, when there is a add and it says - shipping FOR FREE.....Well its not, you paying for it, just shipping included into the price already
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #40
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

this is interesting info re:hpfp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N54

Have to confirm if this information re: extended warranty is legitimate.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #41
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I was just at the dealer and they didn't think that the extended HPFP warranty applied to recent production cars (sorry, I can't be more specific than that). On the other hand, I am sure that if problems continue it will be extended for such cars. On other forums there is talk of people working on robust/improved HPFPs to sell into BMW aftermarket. I'm trying to maintain good relationship with my dealer so they will go to bat for me if it becomes an issue for my car. I've got my fingers crossed hoping they will learn to diagnose and repair boost leak issues better in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #42
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Does anyone know any lawyers who specialize in lemon laws/class action/ recall petition?
Or if it's worth the trouble? Or just ditch the brand? Let the market take care of it like the Sudden Acceleration Syndrome that Audi had back in the early '80s when 60 minutes had a program on it?
I don't believe the HPFP failure has been related to safety issues. However, it is easy to imagine the concern of sudden loss of power.

BMW is repairing HPFP's as they break.I am not sure what would be the justification for litigation without a pattern of deaths as a result of the defect.
      01-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #43
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Ask & ye shall receive??

[B]
The Continuing Saga of The Achille's Heel of "The International Engine of The Year Award" Winner
There may be an extended warranty on the HPFP for the n54 of 10yr/120k miles on '07 & '08 models, if problems continually occur for affected owners.
So check w/ ur dealer if u have problem(s) with HPFP.
Service mgr. @ 1 of the local dealers confirm it's a relatively new policy for '07/'08 335i owners w/ n54 & is looking into whether x6 w/n54 is included.
Whether BMW will send out notices to owners of n54 is not known at this time in Canada at least.

My internet travels have uncovered a hypothetical cause for the frequent recurrence of HPFP problems:
It may be due to the low pressure fuel sensor in the fuel tank, particularly if the fuel tank is less than 1/4 full. The sloshing fuel is either physically damaging the components or the insufficient level of fuel to keep the components @ consistent operating temperature.
In any case, it's my guess that it is typical corporate culture bureaucratics to keep their mouth shut to the public for fear of having to do a massive recall as "No Death" has actually resulted from their "engineering" .

So for BMW: Don't Ask Don't Tell !
Otherwise it will be like an Olympic Gold Medalist admitting to doping!
The only casualty is their customers' patience & their tarnished "Engineering" reputation.

My advice is to keep at least 1/4 tank full of gas in cars w/ n54 engines.
Particularly for those who have had more than 1 HPFP replaced.
And hopefully the problem will not recur.
Would be interesting to have feed back from people who have had multiple hpfp swaps, 2 c if this hypothesis holds gas, thus keeping the issue at bay.!

Now onto the next reason for more "Engine Malfunction": TurboChargers.....

Last edited by archwerks; 01-22-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #44
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

California Class Action, Underway on N54 !

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/12/ca_bmw.html

More interesting all the time as more merde hits the TurboFan!
Appreciate 0