XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #89
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

ok, the count down should have been at 0 now and it still keeps counting?

My counter is now at -1 day -1 hour -1 min -1 sec ???
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #90
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

that really sucks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #91
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Ok, an update to my earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Just had another quick look at the latest leaked photos of the X6M. I figured that they would have lowered the X6M a bit over the regular X6, but judging by the photos of the red X6M, they didn't...

Attachment 255170
Car&Driver: BMW development driver Bernd Limmer says, “I’m completely convinced this is a real M car.” That might have something to do with who signs his paycheck, but the X5/X6 M have been tuned to lend credence to Limmer’s claim. The ride has been lowered 0.4 inch, and adjustable dampers (Adaptive Drive with Electronic Damping Control, if you’re still playing BMW lingo bingo) are standard. EDC varies between Normal and Sport modes, and the latter stiffens up the hydraulic steering as well. Both settings are significantly stiffer than the stock suspensions.

Not much of a change but better than nothing and I guess in the grand scheme of things, that does alter the ride a bit...

Quote:
They also added another cover on top of the engine, my guess due to the extra heat generated from the engine, they needed to force more air over or through the engine compartment.

Attachment 255169

That's probably also the reason for the additional 'huge' air vent openings in the front fascia.

Attachment 255171

They need to get that heat out somehow
Car&Driver: The heart of the X5/X6 M, as in all M cars, is the engine. And the heart of this engine is a trick exhaust manifold and a pair of twin-scroll turbochargers. Of course this is BMW, so there has to be an acronym: Cylinder-bank Comprehensive Manifold, or CCM. The direct-injection 4.4-liter V-8 is based on BMW’s regular production engine, adding new pistons, a new intake manifold, and revised intake cam timing. Compression has been lowered slightly, to 9.3:1 from 10.0:1. The alloy used for the cylinder heads has been altered for greater strength, the oil pan is now aluminum with integrated cooling fins, and both the intercoolers and radiator have been enlarged to deal with increased engine heat.

The secret to the exhaust manifold, which sits in the valley between the two cylinder banks, is a convoluted plumbing system. Exhaust gas from each cylinder is routed to the dual twin-scroll turbochargers; each scroll is fed by a distinct pair of cylinders. The pairs are matched in such a way that the two cylinders fire a full crank rotation apart from each other. (In a four-stroke engine, every cylinder fires every two rotations.) This facilitates steady pulses of exhaust gases to spin the turbo, whereas a more conventional exhaust manifold will form waves of pressure. The M solution, while expensive, results in better engine response and less turbo lag. The torque peak, which runs flat from 1500 to 5650 rpm, backs up this claim. At max boost, the Garrett turbochargers produce 21 psi of pressurized air.

Quote:
Love the looks of the interior! It looks sharp!

Attachment 255173
Car&Driver: Distinctive gills in the front fenders and new front and rear fascias, with the characteristic quad tailpipes at the back, separate the X5/X6 M from their more plebeian counterparts, but the rest of the bodywork is unchanged. The interior changes are subtle as well, limited to a few M-themed accents and the M Drive button on the steering wheel. The X6 already looks wild enough in stock form, so the M transformation is more effective on the X5, in our opinion.

Car&Driver: Some will consider the announcement of the M versions of the BMW X5 and X6 arriving this fall to be heresy, a crime against the enthusiast faithful not seen since the debut of the Porsche Cayenne. Well suck it up fanboy, because the X6 M will lap the Nürburgring faster than the E46 M3. And if you really want to throw stones, blame the success of the Porsche, which demonstrated to BMW that a market exists for sporty SUVs. Both Bimmers—the powertrains are identical—put out 555 hp from a twin-turbo V-8, which is a 5-hp middle finger to the Cayenne Turbo S. The 500 lb-ft of torque in the BMWs, however, is 53 short of that of the top-level Cayenne.

Well the 555 hp output is impressive. The 500 lb-ft torque, being 53 lb-ft less than the Cayenne Turbo S was to be expected since the Porsche's engine has a slightly larger displacement (4.8l if I'm not mistaken vs. the BMW 4.4l). But even that is quite impressive

Car&Driver: If You Have to Ask, You Can’t Afford One

Pricing has not been announced, but the beastly BMW X6 xDrive50i starts at $67,475 and doesn’t include some features that will be standard on the X6 M. The 500-hp Cayenne Turbo has a base price of $98,515, so it’s reasonable to expect the X6 M to be closer to a hundred grand than ninety. We predict the X5 M to be priced slightly lower. Fuel economy is sort of an afterthought in vehicles like the X5 and X6, but the standard X6 V-8 gets an EPA rating of 12 mpg city and 18 mph highway, and the M versions are sure to be slightly worse.

As silly as these things seem, we’re looking forward to getting some test numbers; that should prove very interesting.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #92
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

Interesting.

I will have to fight tooth and nail to convince my party that this is what should be in the driveway. BUT if this thing really is at MSRP 100K, even I will have to take the latter (50i). There are are some real nice cars that fall around that 100K range, some that appeal way more to those in my household than my desired M.

Let the fun begin.
      04-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #93
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeVetti View Post
Interesting.

I will have to fight tooth and nail to convince my party that this is what should be in the driveway. BUT if this thing really is at MSRP 100K, even I will have to take the latter (50i). There are are some real nice cars that fall around that 100K range, some that appeal way more to those in my household than my desired M.

Let the fun begin.
Just out of curiosity, what other cars are you talking about that would appeal more to your 'party' and still cost $100k+ ?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #94
CyberDude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote:
ok, the count down should have been at 0 now and it still keeps counting?

My counter is now at -1 day -1 hour -1 min -1 sec ???
Maybe there's a little bit of turbo lag...

Finally working.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...?prm_action=x6
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #95
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDude View Post
Maybe there's a little bit of turbo lag...

Finally working.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...?prm_action=x6
Haha

Must have been the turbo lag

Thanks, I know it's working now, it was just weird the way it counted past 0...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #96
Finditguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Imm eggcited :P
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #97
silvrevo
Captain