XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Rear Air Spring Retrofit

Has anyone here retrofitted a rear air spring setup to replace the traditional suspension? I'm just curious as I'm looking to accomplish two objectives on my X5:

1) Ability to get a dropped look while maintaining better ride comfort over traditional lowering springs and

2) Adjust ride height based on tow loads.

When I saw retrofit in this thread I'm talking about using an aftermarket system in conjunction with either the OEM air springs or an aftermarket set. I've seen a complete D2 system go for $2k but that seems to be for front and rear, I'm primarily focused on just the rear at the moment.

I'm still doing some research but curious to see comments from those who may be familiar or have experience with these setups.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
Has anyone here retrofitted a rear air spring setup to replace the traditional suspension? I'm just curious as I'm looking to accomplish two objectives on my X5:

1) Ability to get a dropped look while maintaining better ride comfort over traditional lowering springs and

2) Adjust ride height based on tow loads.

When I saw retrofit in this thread I'm talking about using an aftermarket system in conjunction with either the OEM air springs or an aftermarket set. I've seen a complete D2 system go for $2k but that seems to be for front and rear, I'm primarily focused on just the rear at the moment.

I'm still doing some research but curious to see comments from those who may be familiar or have experience with these setups.

Thanks
Just a thought...

If using the OEM setup the rear is not going to go up and down as you wish. There is no button to give you the desired height.

If that's what you want you, scrap whatever you have now and just go with aftermarket and call it a day.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep

My thought is that I could use OEM air springs connected with an aftermarket air management system with its own switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Just a thought...

If using the OEM setup the rear is not going to go up and down as you wish. There is no button to give you the desired height.

If that's what you want you, scrap whatever you have now and just go with aftermarket and call it a day.

Good luck.
plus I'm pretty sure OEM air setup needs coding as well. I don't know 100%, but its likely the car can detect the weight on the rear (due to the 3rd row occupants, the primary reason for air suspension on the X5) and then adjust as needed. An added benefit was for those who tow, car could detect the rear level due to the tow and adjust accordingly.
      01-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
My thought is that I could use OEM air springs connected with an aftermarket air management system with its own switch.
I don't think using OEM with an aftermarket setup is a good idea either.

Your trying to retrofit aftermarket to OEM? The stock air bags are shitty and the compressor is just ok. I replaced the airbags in 45 minutes on both sides. The aftermarket ones recommended are Arnott if going with OEM type.

Aftermarket all the way for what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
belarus27
Private
Rep
Drives: E550

Arnott looks like a better substitute to OEM.
read a lot of good reviews.
and prices are lower for a more of a quality product.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
socale39
Major
Rep

So bringing this thread back. My thoughts were to use Arnott rear air springs since they will drop right in and they are reasonably priced. I'm not sure how the ride quality is but I imagine that even lowered, they are probably more comfortable than a traditional lowered spring which is what I have now.

As for the electronics I was thinking aftermarket as well. It seems like there are some pretty basic kits I could get for a few hundred or I could always spend a little more and get a management system that automatically adjusts the level based on my preferences. Of course the part I like about this is that if I ever decided to do air bag struts in the front, I'd already have the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
Weeezle1971
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW X5 35D, BMW Z4 40i

I am looking at installing exactly what you are describing. I am wanting to tow a ~4,500 pound TT without using a WDH or Friction sway as is recommended by BMW.

To do this I need to raise the end of the BMW when towing for obvious reasons.

Did you even install the set-up you described? Did you have BMW install it? Overall cost/time? Parts?

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
Weeezle1971
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW X5 35D, BMW Z4 40i

I just realized this is for an older model of X5. I currently own a 2015 X5, but am still curious how this worked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Also curious- Towed my car on my car hauler for the first time this weekend, curious about levelling the suspension. What're the arnott bags like? I'd be interested to know where they actually sit, because if the mounting points are there, I see no reason why I couldn't run a tiny compressor to fill the bags.