XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep99 View Post
Actually the break-in rule is pretty easy as comparing to the M3 and there is no need for break-in oil change.
Up to 1200 miles/2000 km - drive at varying engine and driving speeds...not exceeding 5,500 rpm or 105mph/170 km/h
Also avoid transmission kick-down mode...this can be easily done.

From 1200 miles/2000 km to 3000 miles/5000 km.
Gradually increased up to a continuous vehicle speed of 135 mph/220 km/h.
And I did try sport mode a couple of time during this period before i had winter tire on.

I guess the M Twinpower turbo engine needs less babying than a natural inspired engine
What's transmission kick-down mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
ep99
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Kickdown is used to achieve maximum driving performance.

Press on the accelerator beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position.

Basically, you forced the automatic transmission to downshift one or two gears in order to increase acceleration and speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #25
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

congrats, great color choice

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kickdown is used to achieve maximum driving performance.

Press on the accelerator beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position.

Basically, you forced the automatic transmission to downshift one or two gears in order to increase acceleration and speed.
Ok thanks. I was aware of it now that you've described it, but have never heard the term before. Makes sense that you wouldn't want to beat on it like that during breakin.

Can you use "M Mode" though, or is that disabled until after first service? I was thinking of pretty much manual shifting most of the time especially during breakin.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike van D View Post
Congrats on the order and welcome the world of ///M!
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
sounds like a very nice configuration
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
congrats, great color choice
Thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Can you use "M Mode" though, or is that disabled until after first service? I was thinking of pretty much manual shifting most of the time especially during breakin.
I personally think you can and should use M mode during the first 1,200 miles.

Last edited by doug_999; 12-02-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #29
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I personally think you can [i]and should[/u] use M mode during the first 1,200 miles.
Nice.. My thoughts exactly... it'll be in M mode pretty much all the time
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
ep99
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks. I was aware of it now that you've described it, but have never heard the term before. Makes sense that you wouldn't want to beat on it like that during breakin.

You means Manual mode or the M button mode...anyway...nothing is disabled from factory.
You can drive in Auto, Sport or Manual mode.
The only thing that I haven't tried is the M button mode...basically, it just turn everything sport related on.

I also found the Auto H button usefully...this is a new feature for me...when turned on...you basically can take your foot off the brake pedal during rush hour traffic...don't have to ride the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #31
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You means Manual mode or the M button mode...anyway...nothing is disabled from factory.
You can drive in Auto, Sport or Manual mode.
The only thing that I haven't tried is the M button mode...basically, it just turn everything sport related on.

I also found the Auto H button usefully...this is a new feature for me...when turned on...you basically can take your foot off the brake pedal during rush hour traffic...don't have to ride the brake pedal.
Yeah I meant "M Mode" which I still don't know much about but I understand you can set all the memory for suspension, traction control, etc., in the M mode and also that the transmission is more aggressive with its downshifting (even if shifts are manually initiated) and lets you keep the revs higher without auto shifting up for you. And I think you have to be in M mode to use the launch control. Time to start reading the manual for me

That's my understanding so far. I figured I'd leave the car in M mode all the time unless there's some really good reason to turn it off and go back to normal or "comfort" settings ... like a complaining wife or something
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
ep99
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I meant "M Mode" which I still don't know much about but I understand you can set all the memory for suspension, traction control, etc., in the M mode and also that the transmission is more aggressive with its downshifting (even if shifts are manually initiated) and lets you keep the revs higher without auto shifting up for you. And I think you have to be in M mode to use the launch control. Time to start reading the manual for me

That's my understanding so far. I figured I'd leave the car in M mode all the time unless there's some really good reason to turn it off and go back to normal or "comfort" settings ... like a complaining wife or something
okay...the idea of the M mode is that at the push of a button...you can have your own preset settings and as you said...most people will set it at the highest setting with all the bells/whistles...sport suspension and higher shift point etc.
Just that you might want to start your car in normal or comfort settings for daily commute and if you want the extra boost...then activate the M button.

But then again who am I kidding...why did we buy a M brand...definitely not to save gas or shuttle kids.....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
okay...the idea of the M mode is that at the push of a button...you can have your own preset settings and as you said...most people will set it at the highest setting with all the bells/whistles...sport suspension and higher shift point etc.
Just that you might want to start your car in normal or comfort settings for daily commute and if you want the extra boost...then activate the M button.

But then again who am I kidding...why did we buy a M brand...definitely not to save gas or shuttle kids.....
Haha, yeah. My thoughts exactly. It's an ///M. It should be driven like it was meant to. My wife's GL550 gets about the same gas mileage

I've got kids to shuttle but that'll be 5% of the time, maybe a bit more, mostly to the park on a weekend or if we start taking the X6M instead of the GL550 on some of our weekend adventures.

And my commute ... Wait for it ... Is 1.7 miles if I take the LONG way.

The rest will be for fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Woo hoo!

BMW website on "track my order" finally changed from "order documented" to "production begins" and now shows all my selected colors and options ... Correctly!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Picked up me new baby on Thursday at BMW PCD!! It was love at first sight.

Had an awesome road trip on the way home, went through some beautiful winding mountain roads, including Tail of the Dragon.

I posted up my initial pics in a new thread in the pics section - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794084.

This is the most aggressive automatic transmission I've ever experienced. Flogging the (NYC - "Not Your Car") X6M at PCD was fun as hell. We kept coming up on others at the handling course, so the instructor had me go in through the pit lane on every lap so that I'd have a clear track, but the X6M caught up to the next car very quickly! I'm sure my prior track/motorcycle racing experience helped a little bit, though.

Also the breaking exercise was meant to show you that you can turn with ABS engaged, but the X6M stops so well that we didn't reach the part where you turn!

What was great is the entire time on track at the PCD, it was wet and drizzling/raining out, so we got to push an X6M in adverse conditions and see that it can handle amazingly well and be stable even in the wet. That really gave me the confidence boost of knowing the limits (none of which I came close to hitting on the track, by the way) of this car for our drive in the rain and snow in the mountains as we left the BMW Performance Center. Even on icy roads, the X6M was a champ!

I followed the break in procedure and gave my baby the welcoming into this world she deserves, through mountains and freeways, rain, snow, and ice, roads dry and wet, open roads and stop and go traffic, used every gear and every rpm (under 5500) and never kept a constant speed even on the interstate.

Man, I am in love with this car. She joins a Ducati Diavel in my garage so she won't be lonely sleeping at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
jcraigo
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Im in the same boat, purchase 2012, my wife is on a road trip now to go pick it up Monday AM. Just sent me a photo with the IL state patrol has her pulled over, 80 MPH in a 65. I told her good thing it wasn't in the M on the way home, it would have been a ticket for 90
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Nice, congrats btw!

Yeah I managed to not get pulled over going either direction - drove my SLK up and returned it in Greensville after PCD, lots of driving in 3 days - it was awesome if a little tiring toward the last leg of the trip on boring Florida interstate. Although the X6M can make any road fun!
Appreciate 0