XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Impressions: DINAN stage 1 for X6 50

I've had this upgrade in my 2009 X6 50i for about 10 days. Here are my thoughts.

Background: I've had this BMW since January 2010 - bought it lightly used. Has performed near-flawlessly. Beautiful machine. I drive largely city (90%), much of it rush hour. But I do let out for bursts, either in traffic or on highway or small roads.

My only problem is the accessibility of all of that factory-spec power. In "regular" transmission mode, there is a noticeable/annoying lag and the transmission gears down to access the power. So, not easily accessible and lotsa transmission work. Works fine for 90% of the time though. BMW are no dummies and they set it up pretty much right. In "sport" transmission mode, the power is more available. That factory setting makes this vehicle a beast!

But I want more, so having read lots of good things about Dinan in general, plus being attracted to the Dinan warranty side of things (and the fact that the upgrade is on sale to the eo 2010), I decided to get the upgrade.

How it went: Unlike "dmlgc" who got the factory performance upgrade, I did not have any issues - at least nothing yet. I suspect that it took all of 30 minutes. I was explained that they set up an appointment with Dinan, download the latest code from Dinan to their computers (done by Calgary BMW, an official reseller for Dinan), and then do the upgrade to my car. No mechanical intervention whatsoever - this is a USB-type fix.

Impressions: My simple take is this: The old factory "sport" transmission is now the the new Dinan "regular" setting - same feeling of power. A bit less hunting and pecking by the transmission when you floor it. But still laggy. Turbos? The Calgary BMW rep for Dinan said this mode would be enough for me, but he is wrong (or easily satisfied).

The Dinan "sport" setting is something else. It is often instantly available power. Essentially, I see the transmission down a gear (as was for factory settings), 1000+RPM higher than normal mode at same speed. Power is more available from starts and also when in motion. But not always - I dunno, can't put my finger on it.

Mileage is about 10% worse than before - depends how much you push the X6.

Am I happy - it's OK. I expected more. I wanted that juice available right there when I hit the gas. Sometimes it feels like the gas pedal is sending a slow fax to the engine. I don't feel that the extra HP and torque is always reliably available to me, and the max power is only available in pretty "outlier" situations: you need to go find it, at high range of RPM for instance.

Maybe there will be a tweak to the Stage 1 code to make things better. Maybe Dinan just tease you enough to want Stage 2...

Conclusion: Grade "B" (7/10). I expected more "magic". But when Stage 2 comes out, I will probably get it - but I'll ask a lot more questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
I wonder how the Hartge system compares. Its an additional ECU, not a software update and the difference is 5hp (basically irrelevant) I was considering that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
spicysausage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0i

Great write Kanuc - makes me think twice about getting the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
VENO///M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

nice review, but you should have dynoed your car before and after if your spending $2k+ on software. Just to see if dinan claims are accurate..or BS.Maybe some good aftermarket downpipes,exhaust, and sprint booster would help with the lag ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
I wonder if they have taken into account a replacement exhaust system. I'm in the process of replacing the whole system with the exception of the cats (yet) from down pipes to mufflers with a complete flow through racing system (hamann) Since the cats arent being replaced but the rest of the system will be less restrictive i wonder if there will be an issue with the software since this and most other updates are with completely stock power.

I have emailed HARTGE with all the new component details and they just got back to me telling me that they are investigating weather or not it will make a difference.

Im thinking if you are just replacing the muffler at the rear this won't really matter...but replacing the down pipes and x pipes with larger diameter ones and eliminating the middle resonator and mini muffler, it might??

Just some info i figured I would share since it might make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Does anyone know what it costs to get the car dynoed? Theoretically, you can "uninstal/delete" the Dinan upgrade, do the dyno and then reinstall and do the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
VENO///M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
Does anyone know what it costs to get the car dynoed? Theoretically, you can "uninstal/delete" the Dinan upgrade, do the dyno and then reinstall and do the dyno.
around ~ $100
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

An others install Dinan Stage 1?

I have seen 1 or 2 other comments about it. Anyone else have impressions? Thoughts about the lag, solutions?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 SG/SO

Are you sure you even got the DINAN tune? I highly doubt that you can barely feel a difference. I have a tune, not Dinan, and the difference is NIGHT and day. After I dynoed my HP went up to 465 and torque is at around 585. DINAN claims 495HP and 573 torque...thats 95hp more and 123 torque. After my tune I ran my car at the track and I did a 12.8...thats X6M/X5M territory.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Kanuc, you described my impression of the 50i engine exactly. In everyday drive mode, its setup almost perfectly for a daily driver. The power is there, but you've got to work a bit to find it and wait a beat for it to come on. In sport drive mode, the engine holds higher revs and makes that power more instantly available. There is still a delay at times, but it seems shorter. I like that bipolar nature for those times when someone else is driving my car, but it would be great to get faster response from my lead foot.

The X6 is my first turbo charged engine, and I attribute this delay to the effect of the turbos. If you look at what they did to the X6M turbos, http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385221, I'd imagine you need some craftwork like that to get that "magic" you are looking for.

495 HP and 573 PF torque is so intoxicating I still may get it one day myself. Maybe after winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I think I got the Dinan tune...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie12 View Post
Are you sure you even got the DINAN tune? I highly doubt that you can barely feel a difference.
I think my disappointment comes in two forms:
1. The lag - and that sounds like Turbo lag, and no Dinan in the world will fix that in a Stage 1 at least.
2. The power and torque curves. I believe that the HP and BHP claims by Dinan are at "6500 RPM". That's redline. I'm curious how those curves look: factory v Dinan. When do they separate? At redline? That seems kinda useless.

My thoughts are to get the pre- and post-Dinan dyno done.

Would be curious if any Dinan person who reads this could PM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
jfewins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I think the tune rocks. Night and Day difference. Same difference I noticed when I tuned my 335i. The car is considerably faster.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I think my disappointment comes in two forms:
1. The lag - and that sounds like Turbo lag, and no Dinan in the world will fix that in a Stage 1 at least.
2. The power and torque curves. I believe that the HP and BHP claims by Dinan are at "6500 RPM". That's redline. I'm curious how those curves look: factory v Dinan. When do they separate? At redline? That seems kinda useless.

My thoughts are to get the pre- and post-Dinan dyno done.

Would be curious if any Dinan person who reads this could PM me.
the HP and torque are not a 6500 RPM.
This is from the Dinan site
"The results of Dinan’s tuning are nothing short of breathtaking, with the added boost and related recalibration producing maximum output of 495 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 573 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
I've had this upgrade in my 2009 X6 50i for about 10 days. Here are my thoughts.

Background: I've had this BMW since January 2010 - bought it lightly used. Has performed near-flawlessly. Beautiful machine. I drive largely city (90%), much of it rush hour. But I do let out for bursts, either in traffic or on highway or small roads.

My only problem is the accessibility of all of that factory-spec power. In "regular" transmission mode, there is a noticeable/annoying lag and the transmission gears down to access the power. So, not easily accessible and lotsa transmission work. Works fine for 90% of the time though. BMW are no dummies and they set it up pretty much right. In "sport" transmission mode, the power is more available. That factory setting makes this vehicle a beast!

But I want more, so having read lots of good things about Dinan in general, plus being attracted to the Dinan warranty side of things (and the fact that the upgrade is on sale to the eo 2010), I decided to get the upgrade.

How it went: Unlike "dmlgc" who got the factory performance upgrade, I did not have any issues - at least nothing yet. I suspect that it took all of 30 minutes. I was explained that they set up an appointment with Dinan, download the latest code from Dinan to their computers (done by Calgary BMW, an official reseller for Dinan), and then do the upgrade to my car. No mechanical intervention whatsoever - this is a USB-type fix.

Impressions: My simple take is this: The old factory "sport" transmission is now the the new Dinan "regular" setting - same feeling of power. A bit less hunting and pecking by the transmission when you floor it. But still laggy. Turbos? The Calgary BMW rep for Dinan said this mode would be enough for me, but he is wrong (or easily satisfied).

The Dinan "sport" setting is something else. It is often instantly available power. Essentially, I see the transmission down a gear (as was for factory settings), 1000+RPM higher than normal mode at same speed. Power is more available from starts and also when in motion. But not always - I dunno, can't put my finger on it.

Mileage is about 10% worse than before - depends how much you push the X6.

Am I happy - it's OK. I expected more. I wanted that juice available right there when I hit the gas. Sometimes it feels like the gas pedal is sending a slow fax to the engine. I don't feel that the extra HP and torque is always reliably available to me, and the max power is only available in pretty "outlier" situations: you need to go find it, at high range of RPM for instance.

Maybe there will be a tweak to the Stage 1 code to make things better. Maybe Dinan just tease you enough to want Stage 2...

Conclusion: Grade "B" (7/10). I expected more "magic". But when Stage 2 comes out, I will probably get it - but I'll ask a lot more questions.
How much did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ooops... but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
the HP and torque are not a 6500 RPM.
I stand corrected.

That said, I remain somewhat underwhelmed.

Paid about $2600 - on sale until Dec 31 - see here.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
Clueless
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 4.8

Just a thought, but you mentioned that the vehicle was bought second hand. As the transmission 'learns' the driving habits it adapts the gear changes to suit ie conservative or aggressive. You can reset it and I do this regularly as it annoys me to find myself in the wrong gear before I overtake (I tend to drive fairly conservative).

Perhaps you can do this and see what results?

Cheers

J
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Very cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Just a thought, but you mentioned that the vehicle was bought second hand. As the transmission 'learns' the driving habits it adapts the gear changes to suit ie conservative or aggressive. You can reset it and I do this regularly as it annoys me to find myself in the wrong gear before I overtake (I tend to drive fairly conservative).

Perhaps you can do this and see what results?

Cheers

J
I did not know that. In fact I am not sure how. Will ask the dealer unless someone out there knows?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #18
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I stand corrected.

That said, I remain somewhat underwhelmed.

Paid about $2600 - on sale until Dec 31 - see here.
I have the n63 engine as well, although I have 8 gears to your 6, the difference is seriously night and day. Off the line, mid-range, and beyond......
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #19
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
I have the n63 engine as well, although I have 8 gears to your 6, the difference is seriously night and day. Off the line, mid-range, and beyond......
I totally agree with this. the difference is really noticeable! very awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #20
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

UPDATED Impressions on Dinan Stage 1

It's a funny thing, but as the car gets the Stage 1 under its belt, it seems to be performing better. Now a couple of months into it, the availability of the extra HP seems better, although you really have to drive it in Sport mode or manual to not be robbed by the turbo lag.

Anyone else have experience with the Stage 1 (or any other mod) "getting better with time"? Makes no real sense, but these are complex beasts.

I'm happier with it. It was worth the money. I'd probably do it again.
Appreciate 0