XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
cqckdiezel
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

No sport mode on x6??

Guys my bro got5.0 x6 but it has no ds mode WTF?? Is that because he doesn't have adaptive drive?? Help please aim ordering mine tomorrow and ds is a must have for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

What do u mean "ds Mode" Do u mean DSC dynamic stability control??
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
cqckdiezel
Private
Rep

Ds means drive sport. I have it in my 335 coupe and 5 series. It's basically sport mode your car becomes very responsive and is used for aggressive driving. In the x6 when I switch the shifter to the left it shows me s1 and m1 m2 and so on. There is no ds or sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
x6xdrive50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50I

Did you see the little sport button right next to the gear leaver?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

Presume you mean 'Sport' mode button, located at base of Gear Shift lever.
Included with Adaptive Drive option
      05-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
cqckdiezel
Private
Rep

No guys there is no button for it. He doesn't have adaptive drive though is that the reason
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

DS mode is when in D, shift the lever to the left (as you would if you wanted to go in manual mode) without changing gears. It will go into S mode (DS). If you push or pull it after it will go into M mode (manual).

No sport button if you don't have adaptive drive as others have said.

T
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

can u take a picture of the gear stick area? Also, let us know if he too the sports package when ordering the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
cqckdiezel
Private
Rep

yea it does go into s1 mode is that just a new way that bmw makes sport mode ? because in my 335 coupe its known as DS mode for (drive sport). when he ordered the car he got sport activity package, he does not have adaptive drive
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Batke
36th Chamber
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqckdiezel View Post
yea it does go into s1 mode is that just a new way that bmw makes sport mode ? because in my 335 coupe its known as DS mode for (drive sport). when he ordered the car he got sport activity package, he does not have adaptive drive
Yep. It's the same thing DS & S1,2,3, etc. So you friend does have sport mode. If he did not order Adaptive Drive then there should not be a Sport button located behind the gear shifter. That button adjusts ride stiffness.
'05 BMW 325i (E46) - Jet Black
'99 Oldsmobile Alero - White
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
cqckdiezel
Private
Rep

sweet ! thanks for clearing that up
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batke View Post
Yep. It's the same thing DS & S1,2,3, etc. So you friend does have sport mode. If he did not order Adaptive Drive then there should not be a Sport button located behind the gear shifter. That button adjusts ride stiffness.
I just got confused. I have the S mode button. When I push it, doesn't that put the car in sport mode or do I need to push the gear lever to the left as well? I have a 2010 50i.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
I just got confused. I have the S mode button. When I push it, doesn't that put the car in sport mode or do I need to push the gear lever to the left as well? I have a 2010 50i.
As far as I know, the sport button below the gear shifter is just for the Adaptive Drive (suspension) settings. In order to get the transmission into "Sport" you need to push the gear shifter to the left as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post
As far as I know, the sport button below the gear shifter is just for the Adaptive Drive (suspension) settings. In order to get the transmission into "Sport" you need to push the gear shifter to the left as well.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Dang it. That such bull$@#t. My salesman told me just to push the button. Only push to the left if I wanted to use it on manual. I haven't yet pushed to the left to drive it in manual mode. Once you push to the left with the sport button engaged, is there other options that are available, if so how are they performed? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Quote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Dang it. That such bull$@#t. My salesman told me just to push the button. Only push to the left if I wanted to use it on manual. I haven't yet pushed to the left to drive it in manual mode. Once you push to the left with the sport button engaged, is there other options that are available, if so how are they performed? Thanks.
not a big deal. just might be ur salesman gave u some wrongful BS.

as simple as this. u have the ''SPORT'' button meaning u have the Adaptive Drive option, which only changes the ride firmness on the suspension.

putting the gear level to do left has nothing to do with the suspension but the transmission will shift more aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's no big deal. Your salesman was slightly misinformed.

Pushing the sport mode below the gear shifter = Sport setting for Adaptive Drive.
Pushing the gear selector to the left = Drive Sport = Sport setting for the transmission
Pushing the gear selector to the left and then pushing it forward or back and/or using the steering wheel paddles = Drive Sport - Manual Mode

As far as I know, those are the only two "sport" modes available on the X6.

My M3 has a sport button that changes the throttle mapping (more sensitive) ... it would be great if the X6 had that ...

Last edited by Rac10000; 05-06-2010 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
not a big deal. just might be ur salesman gave u some wrongful BS.

as simple as this. u have the ''SPORT'' button meaning u have the Adaptive Drive option, which only changes the ride firmness on the suspension.

putting the gear level to do left has nothing to do with the suspension but the transmission will shift more aggressively.
LMAO. Here I was driving around with the sport mode button engage and thinking to myself, hmmm it does feel more aggressive then regular drive mode. I might've even told the wife, who was sitting next to me! Man, That's just wrong! Thx for clarifying cause I did not read the owners manual!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
LMAO. Here I was driving around with the sport mode button engage and thinking to myself, hmmm it does feel more aggressive then regular drive mode. I might've even told the wife, who was sitting next to me! Man, That's just wrong! Thx for clarifying cause I did not read the owners manual!
on my Porsche Cayenne GTS, when you hit the sport mode button. the suspension stiffens AND the engine REVS are higher and longer. But the coolest part while in sport mode, the exhaust baffles open and the exhaust changes to what can i describe as a fire breathing dragon. great sound, deep growl. I miss that the most...the X6 sound good but not like the GTS sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
on my Porsche Cayenne GTS, when you hit the sport mode button. the suspension stiffens AND the engine REVS are higher and longer. But the coolest part while in sport mode, the exhaust baffles open and the exhaust changes to what can i describe as a fire breathing dragon. great sound, deep growl. I miss that the most...the X6 sound good but not like the GTS sport mode.
I know what you mean. My CLS55 AMG also has the sport button and all you have to do is engage it, and it drives and shifts more aggressively. SO when the salesman went over the car with me, he made me believe it was the same on the X6.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
picosp
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6MC

On my 08 550 sport, the sport button definitely changes the throttle response.
      05-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post
It's no big deal. Your salesman was slightly misinformed.

Pushing the sport mode below the gear shifter = Sport setting for Adaptive Drive.
Pushing the gear selector to the left = Drive Sport = Sport setting for the transmission
Pushing the gear selector to the left and then pushing it forward or back and/or using the steering wheel paddles = Drive Sport - Manual Mode

As far as I know, those are the only two "sport" modes available on the X6.

My M3 has a sport button that changes the throttle mapping (more sensitive) ... it would be great if the X6 had that ...
OK. I just drove it with the sport mode set correctly. Let me just say WOW! It is freaking AWESOME! I saw it go all the way to S5. Is there an S6? I can't believe what I've been missing for over 2 months. Damn salesman! Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK. I just drove it with the sport mode set correctly. Let me just say WOW! It is freaking AWESOME! I saw it go all the way to S5. Is there an S6? I can't believe what I've been missing for over 2 months. Damn salesman! Thanks guys!
Glad you enjoyed it! There should be an S6 ... S6 would be 6th gear ... you should see it if you're going fast enough that the transmission shifts out of 5th ...
Appreciate 0