XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Lazy wiper?

So its been raining recently which gives me a chance to try the wipers. One thing that I noticed was that the passenger-side wiper in its rest position does not "hide" below the windshield. Actually, to be more precise, the part from the middle block of the passenger-side wiper to its end (the side furthest from driver) lays slightly above the dotted/black part of the lower windshield.

I don't know if I only now noticed this since I'm using the wipers or if that's the position where the passenger-side wiper has always rested.

Once I parked the car I noticed that I could gently nudge this last part of the wiper to be slightly below the dotted/black windshield transition.

I would be very interested to know what other X6 owners are seeing on the passenger-side wiper.

Thanks!
ANDREW
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

both of mine lie below the black line , they are evenly spaced.
had them on this morning so this is where they ended up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
both of mine lie below the black line , they are evenly spaced.
had them on this morning so this is where they ended up.
Thanks! That's good to know. When I bring it in for its first service I'll point this out to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Lazy Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
Thanks! That's good to know. When I bring it in for its first service I'll point this out to them.
I noticed at delivery, that passenger side wiper on mine is the same, sitting slightly high. & remarked that the pair of wipers do not sit under the hood like my mb. None the less, x6 is suppose to have Cd similar to/lower than Smart car, according to bmw sales comparison brochure.
Another thing i noticed. A friend came by w/ a Smart car, costing $19,000, it has the same wipers as the x6. All of them, looks xactly like Michelin replacement wipers i can get from Costco in the US for $7.99 & $12.99 in Canada! ( I was shopping in a US Costco for wipers for my toyota!)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Just noticed same problem

Apollner,
I just noticed the same thing, the pass side wiper is resting up in view. I know it has not been like this all the time. Did you go back to the dealer for this ? What was the fix ? Thank You
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Lazy wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
Don't let them bs u w/" It's within tolerances" when u take it in. Insists they get it right !
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Noticed that too. Will see when it stays above the black line. (when on automatic or manual)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Apollner,
I just noticed the same thing, the pass side wiper is resting up in view. I know it has not been like this all the time. Did you go back to the dealer for this ? What was the fix ? Thank You
Nothing to report yet, as I haven't taken it to the dealer. I probably will do so soon as the passenger seat has a rattle that I can't eliminate.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Mine stops almost in the same spot, on automatic or manual. .not sure if it is related to the dirt stacked at the base of the windshield, or the wiper needs some manual stretching.

You have that rattle in the right seat, I got that whining in the steering column that folks where talking about in another topic. Well, it's just a minor whining now, like a woman discrete fart. But will go to the shop soon, before making any longer trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I still believe the small dirt at the base of the windscreen is the reason. Maybe the motor of the wipers doesn't have that final torque to push that dirt off to get the wiper back under the black marking. . .Or it's the shape of the right wiper.

PS: Hey guys, if my case is solid, don't stress the service shop dudes. It's maybe a design issue. They cannot fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Mine stops almost in the same spot, on automatic or manual. .not sure if it is related to the dirt stacked at the base of the windshield, or the wiper needs some manual stretching.

You have that rattle in the right seat, I got that whining in the steering column that folks where talking about in another topic. Well, it's just a minor whining now, like a woman discrete fart. But will go to the shop soon, before making any longer trip.
Have you checked, maybe the last service technician to work on your car forgot his girlfriend under the hood of your car, that might be the reason for the (to use your words) 'woman discrete fart'
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Hahahahahah
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Lets see if we can measure a difference

Stopped by the dealer the other day and spoke with the service manager. He wasn't completely sure as they don't have many X6's in service. Nothing to compare to on the day I was there. He did think it was a little odd for the wiper to not rest below the black line.

He will look at other cars and see if there is anything in service bulletins. Also suggested it may be off a notch on the teeth when the wiper arm is placed on the wiper shaft.

One idea that I had was to measure the distance where the wiper arm ends the stroke to the side of the windshield. Then we could compare this same distance with those cars that are not affected. This could indicate an offset in mounting issue.

I've attached a PDF showing what to measure. Could those of you with a lazy wiper measure and post your results? Would the lucky ones without the lazy wiper do the same so we can compare?

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X6 Wiper Test.pdf (7.1 KB, 194 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
kj2002
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0 Alpine White

malposition of the passenger side wiper

Hi there. I have the exact same issue. Just picked up my new 2011 X6 5.0 was totally shocked that this thing could happen in an 80,000$$$$ car. What the heck ! is this b/c we are less than germans when it comes to meticulous quality control and overall appearance...I cant wait to mention this to my BMW advisor later this week. will keep u posted
Appreciate 0