XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Nightlysam
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Turbo Lag

Folks,

I am about to take the plunge and buy a 2011 X 6M but I have one concern. Turbo Lag! I recently got rid of my 911 Turbo because of the dreaded lag and on paper it was a second to 60 quicker than the X 6M. Have any of you experienced turbo lag and is there a quick fix for it, ie going to sport mode, shifting with the paddles, etc.

I have never had a BMW but have met many zealots who have them and I am impressed with their passion. However a couple of cars ago I had an AMG E55 and it ruined me for life. I must now have instant power - at any time and any speed. I have heard that turbo lag is inevitable in a turbo charged vehicle but with 550 HP I find it hard to believe that the famous makers of the Ultimate Driving Machine can't get rid of that damnable slip second hesitation.

Your comments would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlysam View Post
Folks,

I am about to take the plunge and buy a 2011 X 6M but I have one concern. Turbo Lag! I recently got rid of my 911 Turbo because of the dreaded lag and on paper it was a second to 60 quicker than the X 6M. Have any of you experienced turbo lag and is there a quick fix for it, ie going to sport mode, shifting with the paddles, etc.

I have never had a BMW but have met many zealots who have them and I am impressed with their passion. However a couple of cars ago I had an AMG E55 and it ruined me for life. I must now have instant power - at any time and any speed. I have heard that turbo lag is inevitable in a turbo charged vehicle but with 550 HP I find it hard to believe that the famous makers of the Ultimate Driving Machine can't get rid of that damnable slip second hesitation.

Definitely going to sport mode or using paddle shifter pretty much eliminates turbo lag for me. I also have a CLS55 AMG and can relate to what you mean. I didn't get the M versions but opted for the 50i with performance pkg(+40hp increase). Totally enough power, and it's a blast to drive. It handles so much tighter then the Mercedes. Gives me more confidence driving through bends. Acceleration is unbelievable for such a big vehicle. Trust me, you'll love the BMW handling, compared to your Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
john335coupe
08 e92 M3 DCT, Pulley, AFE stage 2 intake, Dinan
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S, e92 M3 DCT

I have a 2010 X6m with 3000+ miles. I've driven but not owned a 911 turbo. IMO The M has substantial lag but in sport mode it does not short shift and is in a better rpm range for power more often. If that makes sense... I feel BMW has made the car/sav with two distinct personalities. Cruising, leave all setting in normal mode....it short shifts, gets pretty good mpg (I get 15mpg in city) and is pretty smooth. Sport driving, tight suspension, rougher shifting, "sport mode" "m" mode, better throttle response etc.

I do have a problem with paddle shifting. There appears to me a substantial delay from when I pull the paddle and when it actually shifts. I don't know if my car has a problem or this is normal. In first gear, if I shift at the proper prm 6500, it hits the rev limiter... same at 6,000, same at 5,500. Whats the point of pulling the paddle lever at 5000rpm to have it actually shift at 6500prm. Maybe the tachometer is not accurate? Maybe the rpm's are gaining so fast the computer or trans. cannot keep up? I don't know???
I'll ask the stealership next time I am there.

All in all I love the car. I'm glad I opted for the full leather package. The build quality is awesome. The comfort is awesome! And when you want to feel 16 again...it can do that too. Hope this helps.
john
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

the lag will always be there no matter how u cut it. it's the natural of turbocharged car. i just hope the new 8-speed transmission will help to reduce the lag.

Nightlysam,
i feel what u're saying on the 911 Turbo. it's hell quick but the turbo lag sucks. that's what make the GT3/RS shine.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Nightlysam
Rep

Thanks for your replies. Although a little discouraging. In a couple of years I saw myself in a M5 but of course, that too will be turbo charged. Even the E63 will be going that route. There must be some way to get around turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Although a little discouraging. In a couple of years I saw myself in a M5 but of course, that too will be turbo charged. Even the E63 will be going that route. There must be some way to get around turbo lag.
I don't know what people are talking about. I think it's more to do with the driver then the car itself. I haven't had any issues with turbo lag in manual or sport mode. If one is flooring it from a dead stop then I suspect you would have the turbo lag but, who drives like that on a daily basis? Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Nightlysam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
I don't know what people are talking about. I think it's more to do with the driver then the car itself. I haven't had any issues with turbo lag in manual or sport mode. If one is flooring it from a dead stop then I suspect you would have the turbo lag but, who drives like that on a daily basis? Just my opinion.
I may not "floor it" constantly but I do drive aggressively enough to notice turbo lag. It appears quite obvious from the replies, many people with high performance vehicles also drive similarly. If I get a 500hp + vehicle, it will be utilized on a daily basis, safely but very aggressively. Let's face it, this isn't Driving Mrs. Daisy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

i cant say for my self that i`m a "pro" driver, but i never noticed a turbo lag on sport mode, car goes perfectly fast and no lags in between. Than again its only me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

NightlySam: U got rid of a 911 Turbo?

Quote:
Folks,

Was it the 997 w/ variable vane turbo??
Thought they eliminated T-Lag w/it.?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

I have a CLS55, ML63, 997TT, all of them since launch and my X6M is arriving next week.

There is no question the AMG 55Kompressor engine is the best power-wise, instant power no matter the rpm, there is simply no comparison.

If you think there is turbo lag in your 997TT, it must be attribute to your style of driving. Myself and most of the owners in the Porsche board I frequent all agreed the lag is pretty much non-existent, just maybe a tiny bit delay, but the super wider powerband make this a non-issue.

The 63 engine is the worst for 'turbo lag'. A trait suffer by all high revving NA engines, they make all the power up top so I need to wait for the engine to spool up to the proper rpm before the car goes anywhere. This is absolutely the worse engine in my garage, which is why it is being replaced with the X6M. The big 6.2l displacement at lease make it semi drivable even in low rpm, but it really is no match with the other forced induction engines.

I test drove the X6M a while ago, it's drives similiar to the 997TT with minimal lag but with a super wide powerband there isn't really a time when the car is in the wrong gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I may not "floor it" constantly but I do drive aggressively enough to notice turbo lag. It appears quite obvious from the replies, many people with high performance vehicles also drive similarly. If I get a 500hp + vehicle, it will be utilized on a daily basis, safely but very aggressively. Let's face it, this isn't Driving Mrs. Daisy.
Having owned numerous high performance vehicles besides my current lineup, my analysis stands that it's the driver not the vehicle. Maybe you should hire a driver.

Last edited by REInvestor; 05-29-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #12
Nightlysam
Rep

I have to disagree with those that say it must be a driving style problem that causes a delay when looking for acceleration. Especially when the same driver (me) hasn't had problems with delay in an E55 or E63. Turbo Lag is a reality in most turbocharged vehicles. The Porsche dealer's head mechanic, where I purchased mine, even admitted to lag being an issue with the 997. But in any event, the bottom line is, in my opinion, with an 80k + vehicle with over 500 hp power there should be an instantaneous delivery of power, regardless of driving style. Just as AMG has been able to deliver in so many of their models. My only question is does the X 6M deliver such power? From the replies on this thread that I have gotten, that have been rational, it looks like the answer is no. And that is fine. It is just a car. A car that, over the years, I will buy and sell just like the rest. I am not adopting a child here. I just wanted some expert opinions before I made my final decision.

Last edited by Nightlysam; 05-30-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Tire Shredding Torques ?, Choose ur Poison!

Surely turbo lag is a subject with much mechanical engineering study.
Who has the best design to eliminate it?
What are the compromises, if any(usually are more than 1, I can assume that any transmission for such an engine will have to be robust enuf to handle the "instant jump in torques), in order to achieve instant but smooth power.
Has anyone actually measured the turbo lags of all the turbocharged engines on the market down to the millisecond ??

Why not go to supercharged engines if turbo lag is of such concern?

http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...ged/index.html

Awesome!

Last edited by archwerks; 05-30-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

There are 2 kinds of superchargers, screw type and turbine type.

Only the screw type provides instant throttle response, the turbine type works like a turbo. Air exiting the screw type are already compressed to their optimal state, while it takes time for the system to flush out the initial batch of lower compression air from turbine type.

Trouble with screw type is it has a lower ceiling for HP and rpm compared with turbine type and it takes more HP to run.

Superchargers are not free power, unlike turbo, it takes quite a bit of HP to drive the supercharger, so the net gain is not great, which is why car makers are going the turbo route instead of supercharging.

Car ECUs always bleeds off the boost in manual cars, to protect the drive train. But for cars with dual-clutch or autoboxes, the ECU maintains the boost pressure in most cases for instant response as the computer has full control on the shifts, no dumb drivers fumbling the shifts.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
wukur
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Maybe Sprint boosters will help??

Is there anyone who installed it on 50i?? What can you comment about them. I have recieved Sprint booster but could not install it my self. The connecting wire does not coming out of the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

you guys are all ridiculous. These are not enormous turbos that create a ton of lag... DOWNSHIFT.. the lag you people speak of in your X6's is from the transmission choosing to stay at a lower RPM to save gas mileage. There is no such thing as lag on stock cars above 1st/2nd gear IF you are downshifting into the power band. Which you should be if you are trying to accelerate past something... Not to mention, the X6 utilizes diverter valves which recirculates the air, so that little to no boost is lost between shifts. Always on boost = no turbo lag. Unless you are driving a car with an enormous turbo (which none of you are), you don't have lag; or at least not enough to complain about.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Lag in a 997TT?!?! Learn to drive, seriously.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have to disagree with those that say it must be a driving style problem that causes a delay when looking for acceleration. Especially when the same driver (me) hasn't had problems with delay in an E55 or E63. Turbo Lag is a reality in most turbocharged vehicles. The Porsche dealer's head mechanic, where I purchased mine, even admitted to lag being an issue with the 997. But in any event, the bottom line is, in my opinion, with an 80k + vehicle with over 500 hp power there should be an instantaneous delivery of power, regardless of driving style. Just as AMG has been able to deliver in so many of their models. My only question is does the X 6M deliver such power? From the replies on this thread that I have gotten, that have been rational, it looks like the answer is no. And that is fine. It is just a car. A car that, over the years, I will buy and sell just like the rest. I am not adopting a child here. I just wanted some expert opinions before I made my final decision.
No offense, but stick to whatever has granted you the ability to afford such wonderful automobiles. Making comments like these merely shows your inability to comprehend the engineering that goes into these cars. This may be your opinion, but it is nothing more than unfounded expectation.

Btw, the E63 is N/A not F/I. And having drag raced an E63 at the track before, it was not lacking in throttle response at all, nor did it have trouble getting out of its own way.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Nightlysam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
No offense, but stick to whatever has granted you the ability to afford such wonderful automobiles. Making comments like these merely shows your inability to comprehend the engineering that goes into these cars. This may be your opinion, but it is nothing more than unfounded expectation.

Btw, the E63 is N/A not F/I. And having drag raced an E63 at the track before, it was not lacking in throttle response at all, nor did it have trouble getting out of its own way.

I would like to respond to your comments but frankly you missed my point completely and seem to have gotten very upset about a simple inquiry. Since I do have as you say, whatever granted me the ability to afford such wonderful automobiles, I really don't have time to untangle your spasms about cars, so I will not try to explain myself again. As I tell my girl friend during that time of the month "Whatever Dear... Whatever" Lol!

Last edited by Nightlysam; 06-01-2010 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Well this is great then! We get to share laughs at each others expense. And I will say to you what your mechanic has probably told you before you shelled out cash unnecessarily, "It's the windshield wiper bearing. It will be 4 hours labor and the part needs to get shipped from overseas. It will be $x,xxx.xx." Ignorance is bliss.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
$80k is nothing for a car. Come on, A loaded 3 series is $60k and that is an entry level model.

A loaded Toyota landcruiser is $80k.
      06-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
$80k is nothing for a car. Come on, A loaded 3 series is $60k and that is an entry level model.

A loaded Toyota landcruiser is $80k.
Wait one or two more years! That FIAT $ is being spent faster then they can print them!
Appreciate 0