XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
tkainz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 3.0l

Level Control System Malfunction after tire change

Hi everyone.... so... I'm doing (did - actually) one of the most simplest things you can do on a car... taking off the winter slippers and putting on the summer sneakers. I must have done something wrong during the tire change, though, as immediately starting the car to take it on a test drive, I got the 'Level Control System Malfunction' error. I examined two sensors in the rear and they don't 'appear' to be damaged and likewise, there's a sensor with a short lever linked to the suspension in the wheel well of the left front which also 'appears' to be in good shape. Is there anything else I could look for? Given that the error didn't exist prior to my changing the tires it must be something that I had inadvertently done. I'm attaching pics of the three sensors I noted earlier. Ironically, I actually did this seasonal tire change last week, with no issues, but had to put the snow tires back on Friday as we had a two-day snow storm come through. I should also note that I've already tried doing the steering wheel left, then right thing to try to get the error to go away! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Hey,
I'll give it a educated guess... Those sensors could possibly have been overextended and one or both damaged if you jacked up the vehicle and the suspension was extended fully. It should be able to move that far but if they were brittle or corroded... who knows. Could one of them been bumped or strained by hitting it with the wheel/tire during the change? If hit while extended 100% it may have broken.

Maybe try unplugging them and plugging them back into the wiring harness? Make sure all wiring and other parts are firmly snapped together and engaged?
Take them off the hard parts and see if they move through the range or get stuck somewhere?
Def play with them before going to dealer or ordering parts. Good luck and report back when corrected.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
Rikkem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Carefully study the wiring to the rear sensors. Very often moisture gets in and the wire inside the insulation rot. If you do a diagnosis, it will be clear which side sensor is not working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0