XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #287
kms
Rep
Drives: E70

Carplay works fine (at least for me)

I am using the android screen and the ZBox carplay adapter. Actually it is the only app I am using with the android screen.

1) I downloaded zbox-v4.1.1-Download.zip from zjinnova com.
2) Once installed I assigned this apk to the steering weel button (voice control button). Normaly the navigation application is assigned to this button. Whenever I press the button for "speech" the Carplay apps open.
3) Bad sound I fixed/parched rooting the screen with kingroot and I installed viper4android. (See other post here in the web site for settings).
4) I also installed a app called Autorun. I set viper4android in this app to start automatically.

So when i enter the car I connect my Iphone, start the car and after 1 minute I press once the "speech" button on the steering wheel. Now Carplay continues where it was the last time before I left the care. (Spotify, Maps, Tunein). Control of carplay I do mostly with voice commands.

All the rest of this Android Screen did not convince me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #288
magothy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M6 vert

Garage List
2008 BMW M6  [0.00]
Just Purchased 8.8"..

Cant wait for it to show up.. Everytime I look at the CCC screen, uughhhh
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #289
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Hi guys, I was doing some dash/center console modifications recently and I was able to pull USB extension cables as well new Aux cable to center console (pic attached) this is much more convenient.

My sounds thru aux is pretty good, I can't really complain at all, video/audio, mp3/flac etc..

The issue I'm having is with one of the USB connectors, I believe connector number 2, I'm using connector 1 for USB Modem and it works fine but the second one only works 1 out of 5 times, I tried different USB sticks and its all the same (( I'm trying to figure out if its possible to put music in to this system any other ways, thru SD Card or else... as I'm thinking this USB just bad and I won't be able to do anything with it (

Also I'm still not able to connect my front camera that I have from my older SmartView system, the AVIN gave me the diagram of their connections but its completely wrong, so I'm looking for different one, I just need to tap in to Ground and -+ Cable (with key in only)

If anybody has any input I'd love to hear it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #290
HS46
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2008 4.8i V8 (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Hi guys, I was doing some dash/center console modifications recently and I was able to pull USB extension cables as well new Aux cable to center console (pic attached) this is much more convenient.

My sounds thru aux is pretty good, I can't really complain at all, video/audio, mp3/flac etc..

The issue I'm having is with one of the USB connectors, I believe connector number 2, I'm using connector 1 for USB Modem and it works fine but the second one only works 1 out of 5 times, I tried different USB sticks and its all the same (( I'm trying to figure out if its possible to put music in to this system any other ways, thru SD Card or else... as I'm thinking this USB just bad and I won't be able to do anything with it (

Also I'm still not able to connect my front camera that I have from my older SmartView system, the AVIN gave me the diagram of their connections but its completely wrong, so I'm looking for different one, I just need to tap in to Ground and -+ Cable (with key in only)

Looks really great Boneca!!

Can you please give us more details of how you make or where you buy the usb cigarette adapter?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
boneca1999.50
      05-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #291
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

Looks really great Boneca!!

Can you please give us more details of how you make or where you buy the usb cigarette adapter?

Thanks
Thank you!

I bought it on Amazon, below the link!

BATIGE 2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Extension Cable for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel - 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66N1JK?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #292
HS46
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2008 4.8i V8 (E70)

Hi guys,

how can I fix this?

I have the CCC unit and the OEM screen size was 6.5"

Name:  IMG_5126.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  68.7 KB

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #293
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

You need to go into settings and change it to 10.25".
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #294
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS46 View Post
Hi guys,

how can I fix this?

I have the CCC unit and the OEM screen size was 6.5"

Attachment 1824348

Thanks in advance
Need to go into CANBUS settings and change it to one got 6.25" screen, it should stretch your screen to fit better
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #295
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Anyone try one of the updated units available on aliexpress?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...71703138.html?

Says it has a quad core, 2gb ram, and Android 7.1 (vs 4.4).
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #296
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Just got my Avin unit yesterday and installed it but my mood went from exciting to confused. If someone can help me please.

1. the screen is great but since i have a CIC my OEM BMW screen looks a bit large and slightly zoomed. I was told to change the settings but i cant since there shows no settings to change display size. My unit came in with a password when i go into settings but not sure were to put? I tried developer mode and the password doesnt work there.

2. I get no sound coming from the android interface. Does this mean i definitely need to connect the AUX splitter and connect one end to the OEM AUX port? Will i have to remove the whole center armrest area to run the wires along the inside of it?

3. Did anyone buy the torque obd2 plug? I bought it connected the obd2 connector and now im lost. I tried to download the app for it but i dont know which one it is. I thought it would come preloaded but i was wrong.

4. Navi - Ok here is my big confusion with this one. I understand you can use google maps in the android system or your OEM BMW Navi but i bought the microSD card with the offline navi maps only problem is where the hell do i connect the microSD??? On other units i had for my cars there was always a port for the microSD but not for this or am i missing it? Do i need to use a port from the dual usb cables i ran?

5. Apps - Does the android interface not have an option for radio or aux? I wondered if this means i have to go back to the OEM BMW screen to search for a station. How would i get AUX to work as well since i see no app in the android interface for it?

I understand this is an overlay but i didnt think i would have so many issue upon install.
So far im a bit disappointed in this system since i spent 600 on it but i have a little bit of faith right now on it since it does make the car look updated and at least i can still hear the radio and music.

Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #297
magothy
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M6  [0.00]
I was in the same boat as you; installed an 8.8" AVIN screen in an 08 M6; mine came with no instructions - other than video they have on the website -- which leaves *alot* to be desired.

I can't post files on here-- but pm me and I can send you what they finally sent me after many tickets opened.

At least for the first issue - the stretched screen -- you need to go into the factory setup options.. It's at:

Settings ---> System Information ---> there is a button for "Factory Setup"

from there you enter the PIN (for me it's 1314) and you can get into the settings.. Not sure why this information needs to be set (because when I ordered I told them the car and the screen I was replacing) but more importantly -- why the information isn't included in the purchase ;(

I havent gotten to permanently connecting the audio yet -- it's irritating to have to run an aux cable from the head unit to the arm rest.. really?? You wont need to do a splitter -- unless you want to add another aux input.

I didnt purchase the odb2 - but dont want to leave that plugged in all the time -- and the m6 has enough gauges for me........

for navigation -- I'm in the DC area - and traffic is most of what I use nav for... and offline doesnt work for traffic updates. Waze is super awesome.

RE: android and built-in radio.. from my understanding you need to go back to the 'original' to get to the radio.. kinda kludgy huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #298
magothy
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M6  [0.00]
sorry for the repetitive posts here - but I purchased from a "US" company because I figured there would be better support and instructions.. AVINusa leaves a lot to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #299
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by magothy View Post
sorry for the repetitive posts here - but I purchased from a "US" company because I figured there would be better support and instructions.. AVINusa leaves a lot to be desired.
I was watching YouTube and came across this video, where a guy from Canada is accusing AVIN about using his video, which seems true. The name of this company is 4x4shop and they are Canadian. Any feedback about 4x4shop.ca

https://youtu.be/FjzHCowJaMI
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:31 AM   #300
rodnex
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0si, E70 3.0d, E70 X5DUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
Anyone try one of the updated units available on aliexpress?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...71703138.html?

Says it has a quad core, 2gb ram, and Android 7.1 (vs 4.4).
Hi,

I have been buying from this seller...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...704d4c4dYj5zeD

Great price - great unit.

Cheers,
Rod
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #301
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnex View Post
Hi,

I have been buying from this seller...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...704d4c4dYj5zeD

Great price - great unit.

Cheers,
Rod
That's the older model with android 4.4 and 1gb ram.

The one I posted is android 7, with 2gb ram. Seems to be a newer / updated unit but I haven't seen anyone post about it.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:42 PM   #302
rodnex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
That's the older model with android 4.4 and 1gb ram.

The one I posted is android 7, with 2gb ram. Seems to be a newer / updated unit but I haven't seen anyone post about it.
Yeah you right. But I am not trying to sell anything. Just posted my experience with Alixpress

BTW: The one you posted is only available for CIC, I have a CCC and the seller offers different systems for both options.

Also the 7.1 seller does not put up any screenshots of the actual system, so I would be a bit suspicious...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #303
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Yeah you right. But I am not trying to sell anything. Just posted my experience with Alixpress

BTW: The one you posted is only available for CIC, I have a CCC and the seller offers different systems for both options.

Also the 7.1 seller does not put up any screenshots of the actual system, so I would be a bit suspicious...
I had it from AVIN - presale.. Returned back. When it was working it was ok but most of the time it was freezing or not starting or giving me instrument console error and noise in the speakers (even when off). no, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #304
cals
cals
Rep
Drives: E34, E39, E60, F10, E70, F15

Garage List
2017 BMW X5  [0.00]
2001 BMW E39  [0.00]
2004 BMW E60  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Hi, I'm seriously considering buying this unit; I have seen the AVINUSA site as well as a few AliExpress sellers; I would prefer to buy it directly to the US Store, is there any reason why I would go somewhere else? Is that the latest unit?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #305
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cals View Post
Hi, I'm seriously considering buying this unit; I have seen the AVINUSA site as well as a few AliExpress sellers; I would prefer to buy it directly to the US Store, is there any reason why I would go somewhere else? Is that the latest unit?

Thx

I know ppl who ordered from Avin directly and from Ali as well, as far as units goes its all the same, the firmware might be different but you want to upload latest one anyway, no matter where you getting your unit from. It might be little easier to get the firmware updates directly from Avin but there are other places where you can get them!

As far ar delivery timing goes if Avin in CA has the units in stock it will be delivered to you in Canada in few days, if not it might take little longer to arrive from China!

Also if you planning to get some additional accessories such as (GPS slitter, AUX slitter or extension) it might be easier to get them from Avin together with unit but you might find better deals and better quality for those accessories elsewhere (eBay or Ali)

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #306
DC_23
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, E70

I’ve emailed Avin asking some questions and they have not responded. It’s a bit frustrating. Can someone confirm that no factory features are lost with installing the CCC version? PDC, rear view camera, bluetooth, voice command would all still work?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:45 AM   #307
rodnex
Private
Rep

Hi, I have installed the CCC version I linked above in both my E70. The factory PDC/ Rear View Camera still works.

You still can use the IDrive completely as before. So bluetooth and voice command will work probably too (I dont have them in mine). Instead I am using bluetooth through the Android unit and it works very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #308
DC_23
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, E70

Thanks for the info. One more question: did you have to tap/splice into any stock wiring, or is this truly plug and play?

Quote:
Hi, I have installed the CCC version I linked above in both my E70. The factory PDC/ Rear View Camera still works.

You still can use the IDrive completely as before. So bluetooth and voice command will work probably too (I dont have them in mine). Instead I am using bluetooth through the Android unit and it works very well.
Appreciate 0