XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

To run flat or not ?

Hello Fellas,
Could i ask, how many owners have actually replaced their r/flats with normal tyres, and have you had any problems if you have done so ?. My fronts have lasted around 14k miles and are shot, they are making a terrible drumming sound as well. I cant see there being any problems with sensors etc, as long as the sizes are exactly the same as standard. I would imagine the overall ride to be a lot more compliant, with normal tyres as well. Any input appreciated, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Rider1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6M

As I posted in the other thread re: Continental's , I changed and I love it !

I carry a portable air compressor and a tire plug kit. If that don't fix it then I call BMW roadside help. Which is probably what I would've had to do if the same cause for the flat happened to the RF.

Of course YMMV,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I live in San Diego, not much rain/snow gere, but switched to Continental DWS all season for longer tread life and about half the cost.

I have a spare tire/jack plus a compressor kit.

I must say the difference in handling between a summer and all season is neglible and the ride is much smoother. I am sure if you took the X6 to a track there would be a more obvious difference,but for everyday driving I am quite happy.

The DWS tires are rated around 50k miles. I am surprised how quiet they are.

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-14-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

For the difference in price, I will be using the Bridgestones for two reasons:

Softer compound on the rubber. I like the grip these tires offer for the extreme cornering I like to do.
I feel RFT are a plus for a couple of reasons. I would prefer to be able to get off the freeway in case of a puncture. Also, it could protect the rim from any damage, while you could experience damage with a puncture while using non run flats. I have the spare tire option also, but if I need to, I know I can get by with the run flats until service or a good place to place the spare on, is available. Think of all the different scenerios of when you could get a flat, and the RFT in my mind, are very nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Just say no to RFT.

RFT cost about 20% more, last about a third as long, and probably mean that you also need a set of winter tires to boot. What do you get in return? Some piece of mind, and a harsh and noisy ride.

For the savings you'll realize running the DWS's over the RFT you can get a spare tire, can of slime, a portable compressor AND replace your rim in the off chance you get a flat in a supremely inconvenient location and need to sacrifice it limping somewhere safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

I disagree. The third generation tires placed on the 2010 models are definitely not harsh or noisy. Most performance tires are in the 300 treadwear range. I refuse to believe that a tire with a 540 rating will offer as much grip. The difference in price is negligible.
The cost of performance tires and frequent replacement is the price you pay in my mind.

If I needed Winter tires, I would use the BMW 19 inch set of tires and rims.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Lets not confuse performance tires with run flats. It just so happens in OEM sizes our choice comes down to a summer/winter RFT setup or an all season non-RFT setup.

I'll agree that they are not noisy when new, but as soon as my tires get to about 5mm of tread, they start to drone. This has to be because of the necessarily stiff sidewall.

If there was a non-run-flat performance/winter option then swapping wheels would have more appeal to me especially if I had an M. But as soon as I find someone to sell me their gorgeous Style 300M rims, I'm going to slap some pedestrian DWS rubber on them, get rid of the unimpressive Dunlop SportMaxx's and sail happily into acceptable all season grip.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikendiken View Post
Just say no to RFT.

RFT cost about 20% more, last about a third as long, and probably mean that you also need a set of winter tires to boot. What do you get in return? Some piece of mind, and a harsh and noisy ride.

For the savings you'll realize running the DWS's over the RFT you can get a spare tire, can of slime, a portable compressor AND replace your rim in the off chance you get a flat in a supremely inconvenient location and need to sacrifice it limping somewhere safe.
In the case of the OEm Dunlop run flats, they cost $2k per set which is double the cost of the DWS. When you factor in tread life, 20k miles vs. 40k miles+, well the cost delta is much worse.
      11-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I agree with Landlord it depends on what are the likely conditions you will run into where you drive and what your pain point is for changing a tire. Changing a tire in California where I live is hardly ever a big deal but I would imagine in Chicago in the middle of the winter this would be a less than pleasant experience.

I drive to Nevada and Arizona a lot and last summer I had a flat out in the middle of nowhere(no you can't know what I was doing there) and it was one of those 110° days.
I was not inclined to deal with a flat, I have RF's so I drove it (carefully)about 50 miles to dealer and had the tire replaced. It turns out the leak was due to the little nut on value stem coming loose but after driving on it I wasn't going to trust the tire.

So I think it's matter of where you drive , what the weather is likely to be and your pain point on saving money.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
chuck92103
Major
Rep

If you are like me, I get a flat tire roughly every 8-10 years.

The pure pleasure of being able to drive a few more miles with a flat run flat every 8-10 years is vastly outweighed by a car that drives poorly 99.999999% of the time.
      11-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

I will be getting my X6 within 2 weeks. It has the Sports package, so the tires are performance summer tires.

Recently it has started to snow here. Do you guys think I will have trouble driving the car in the snow? It is a 4x4 but I wonder how bad the tires become on the snow.

Do you guys recommend me changing to All-Seasons right away? If so, how much can I sell those brand new Run-Flats for?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
coachk101
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
I will be getting my X6 within 2 weeks. It has the Sports package, so the tires are performance summer tires.

Recently it has started to snow here. Do you guys think I will have trouble driving the car in the snow? It is a 4x4 but I wonder how bad the tires become on the snow.

Do you guys recommend me changing to All-Seasons right away? If so, how much can I sell those brand new Run-Flats for?
If they are the Dunlop Sports Maxx tires...they are awful in the snow....like a hog on ice without skates....i switched to a different all season tire last year...still wasn't a lot better but you could tell the difference. The sport tires just slid and slid even at slow speeds. There is just no traction for snow with those.
To sell them could be hard based on the season....i'd check tirerack for the price depending on what kind they are.

Most dealers don't tell you all the needs of the car when you buy it..ie, snow tires or snow rims etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk101 View Post
If they are the Dunlop Sports Maxx tires...they are awful in the snow....like a hog on ice without skates....i switched to a different all season tire last year...still wasn't a lot better but you could tell the difference. The sport tires just slid and slid even at slow speeds. There is just no traction for snow with those.
To sell them could be hard based on the season....i'd check tirerack for the price depending on what kind they are.

Most dealers don't tell you all the needs of the car when you buy it..ie, snow tires or snow rims etc.
Oh no
Before I bought my X6, I was hoping to see more snows.
Now i wish it doesn't...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
coachk101
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

I feel your pain....this was my first BMW I've ever owned...so I had to find things out by myself and do investigating.

the pirelli scorpion snow and ice may be your answer so you don't have to buy new, smaller rims....just a thought from everything I've read on here.
Appreciate 0