XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
ruger311
Rep
Drives: 11 X5M

2011 X5M JB4 w/ BCM dead?

Also posted on N54tech

So I bought a 2011 X5M in Nov 2017 with around 78000 miles on it, has the JB4 w/ BCM on it. I took ownership of it and it was running on Map 3, when I would stand on it during shift felt like it was running out of fuel, nosing over, then picking back up. I asked some questions to forum members and ensured me that I wouldn't be out of fuel on that setting.

Detuned it to Map 2 so not to mess up the engine if it was starved for fuel.

Fast forward around 5000 miles later, normal daily driving no major pulls or anything and I get an engine malfunction/low power warning. Pull off highway and into friends shop that specializes in german cars. He checks it out and says high pressure fuel pump on drivers side is bad, can hear it making noise along with two injectors #5 and #6, (#2 and #4 were replaced under warranty about a year ago).

We go ahead and install new HPFP, running fine for about 10 min and get same HPFP and injector code, he thought maybe a bad pump, warrantied it out, installed and running fine besides same two injector codes. Decided to have BMW warranty those out so it is towed to BMW. BMW gets it and gets the HPFP and injector codes. They can't diagnose injectors with HPFP code. Friend warranties the pump out again, installs it in for BMW and lets them have it. They start car and does same thing again, bad HPFP. They check injectors to see if they are leaking off and show that they aren't but the spark plugs were wet indicating that they were leaking or held open. Anyway they think it is the fuel rail pressure sensor on that bank, replace that sensor after checking electrical connections and still same thing, same codes, running like crap etc.

They remove the JB4 and BCM and try to start the car, starts up fine, runs idles drives the way it should from factory. They claim it was the JB4 throwing codes. I drive it outta the service bay and it is running good. They did not replace the injectors. The HPFP was definitely worn out and needed replacement and is good to go now.

Chatted with Ando with BMS and saying there is no warranty or support for the S63 JB4 anymore since discontinued. So here I am with a JB4 and BCM on my desk, anyone have similar issues or can help me out, or am looking at a paperweight?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Try to get BMW to replace all 8 fuel injectors under warrenty there is a campaign for S63 fuel injectors ... they fail I would replace them if it has not been done.

Are you driving hard with no malfunctions?

I enjoy my jb4

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
ruger311
Rep

Tried to get them to replace them all but got the same decision. Said they have to show plausibility code before will pay for them. Still have some time left

I’ve ripped on it plenty but not daily not even weekly. Really strange. Guy I bought it from has a stage 1 as well I’m going to get from him this weekend and see if it likes it. Make sure it the tuner and not something else
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Recommend you forget the JB4! The X5M is plenty fast stock,...all you need to do is just put your 'foot' into the go fast peddle,....she'll gitty--up-n-go!

Just wait for "MHD" to release a tune for the X5 M,....I have on 2010 535xi,...and I am not disappointed! The car simply hauls now.....

GL.
      04-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
ruger311
Rep

While it is quick it is not "fast", I'll keep an eye on them for a tune if/when they bring it out. Seems like these things have untapped potential but not many people wanting to modify them given their price tags.

Feels like extortion or as I call it the "corvette tax", or any "high end vehicle tax". $1500-2000 for some "name brand" downpipes, piss off it is just stainless steel.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
x800pro6
ZEE DEE
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi. I had the exact same issue years ago! My x6m after using the jb4 for a few months, same problem. Turned out the BCM module burnt it's self out. I received a new BCM. But now I'm in the same boat as you. Connect the jb4 and doesn't seem to work I'm going to try again tonight with just the tmaps and canbus wires.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #7
x800pro6
ZEE DEE
Australia
Rep

Here is what I found on my old notes for it.

Fuel control:

Circuit A (purple pair):
Purple female DB25#9 to DME black connector #45
Purple male DB25#19 to wire removed above

Circuit B (green pair):
Green female DB25#8 to DME gray connector #44
Green male DB25#14 to wire removed above

BCM:

Black female to DME black connector #17
BRown female to DME gray connector #6
Ground to strut brace
blue dsub pin to DB25#1
Red to switched 12v in relay box fuse tap
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #8
x800pro6
ZEE DEE
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger311 View Post
Also posted on N54tech

So I bought a 2011 X5M in Nov 2017 with around 78000 miles on it, has the JB4 w/ BCM on it. I took ownership of it and it was running on Map 3, when I would stand on it during shift felt like it was running out of fuel, nosing over, then picking back up. I asked some questions to forum members and ensured me that I wouldn't be out of fuel on that setting.

Detuned it to Map 2 so not to mess up the engine if it was starved for fuel.

Fast forward around 5000 miles later, normal daily driving no major pulls or anything and I get an engine malfunction/low power warning. Pull off highway and into friends shop that specializes in german cars. He checks it out and says high pressure fuel pump on drivers side is bad, can hear it making noise along with two injectors #5 and #6, (#2 and #4 were replaced under warranty about a year ago).

We go ahead and install new HPFP, running fine for about 10 min and get same HPFP and injector code, he thought maybe a bad pump, warrantied it out, installed and running fine besides same two injector codes. Decided to have BMW warranty those out so it is towed to BMW. BMW gets it and gets the HPFP and injector codes. They can't diagnose injectors with HPFP code. Friend warranties the pump out again, installs it in for BMW and lets them have it. They start car and does same thing again, bad HPFP. They check injectors to see if they are leaking off and show that they aren't but the spark plugs were wet indicating that they were leaking or held open. Anyway they think it is the fuel rail pressure sensor on that bank, replace that sensor after checking electrical connections and still same thing, same codes, running like crap etc.

They remove the JB4 and BCM and try to start the car, starts up fine, runs idles drives the way it should from factory. They claim it was the JB4 throwing codes. I drive it outta the service bay and it is running good. They did not replace the injectors. The HPFP was definitely worn out and needed replacement and is good to go now.

Chatted with Ando with BMS and saying there is no warranty or support for the S63 JB4 anymore since discontinued. So here I am with a JB4 and BCM on my desk, anyone have similar issues or can help me out, or am looking at a paperweight?

Thanks in advance.

Open your BCM see if it's burnt like mine was
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Just get software OBD2 tune from a good tuner. I have been running VFE tune stage 1 and then stage 2.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0