XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Hawaii Road Rage

I saw on the news this morning that Hawaii, especially Oahu is the worst road rage state in the nation. I believe it. I am always seeing stupid shit out on the roads. And we have two of the most idiotic things here. Bike lanes, now I am all for bikers having their right to ride but these lanes go in both directions on the same side of the street. So if a motorist is trying to turn left into a parking lot or something they have to look in front of them which is easy but also behind them which isn't so easy. Numerous collisions have been reported. Also, pedestrians have the right of way over motorists which means they can just barge out into a sidewalk into oncoming traffic forcing motorists to slam on their brakes. Hell this whole place is just an accident waiting to happen. End rant.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

They should pass guidelines on under cutting and over taking i.e. if the vehicle in front is turning then the bike must not pass unless safe to do so.

Any footage of the idiot drivers and riders?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
VandalF16
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

We go to Maui every year and thankfully haven't witnessed anything memorable in a road rage sense. Traffic can get pretty bad but hopefully the influx of tourists won't increase further. Island roads are pretty much maxed out from that perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

I live on Oahu now and lived in Northern Virginia previously. It’s not even close. Drivers in Hawaii are some of the nicest, most polite drivers I have ever encountered. (Rural Texas was best - almost every car going the opposite direction waived, and drivers on empty two lane highways actually drove onto the shoulder to let me pass). People here let you merge when you put on your signal and trow you a shaka when you do something nice. In fact, the thing that gets to me sometimes is that drivers here ignore traffic rules to be polite - like they will wave you through at a 4 way stop when it’s their turn.

Drivers in NOVA, on the other hand, are some of the most horrible people and unreasonably aggressive drivers I have ever encountered. If you put on your signal, they will universally speed up to keep you from merging. I am very conscientious about looking for a gap when merging on the highway, and I have even had people speed up to keep me from merging ahead of them. Also, for some reason EVERYONE thinks they need to be in the left lane. They also ignore traffic rules, but only to try to screw other drivers over.

Also, while I share some of your frustrations about bike lanes and pedestrians, that problem is in no way unique to Hawaii
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I have driven in Oahu many times and I find that report very hard to believe since Hawaiians don't seem to be very stressed out people. They are generally not very punctual or violent people so I think it was fake news
Appreciate 1
cjb7621220.00
      10-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
I live on Oahu now and lived in Northern Virginia previously. It’s not even close. Drivers in Hawaii are some of the nicest, most polite drivers I have ever encountered.
Agreed, I visit every year and experience only niceness. It's one reasons the traffic so bad, because everybody is stopping to letting other people in. They are so polite.
Appreciate 1
cjb7621220.00
      10-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

OBVIOSLY none of you ever drive with a board strapped to your car. Then the rules fly right out the windows!!!!

Even here in the 'Nard, my worst experience was a dude chasing me because he saw a board in my front seat, chasing me off "his beach" when I had been there for 20+ years, and this grom just got his car. Granted, he had a mighty large flashlight he was banging against the side of his beater, so I just left.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I live on Oahu now and lived in Northern Virginia previously. It’s not even close. Drivers in Hawaii are some of the nicest, most polite drivers I have ever encountered. (Rural Texas was best - almost every car going the opposite direction waived, and drivers on empty two lane highways actually drove onto the shoulder to let me pass). People here let you merge when you put on your signal and trow you a shaka when you do something nice. In fact, the thing that gets to me sometimes is that drivers here ignore traffic rules to be polite - like they will wave you through at a 4 way stop when it’s their turn.

Drivers in NOVA, on the other hand, are some of the most horrible people and unreasonably aggressive drivers I have ever encountered. If you put on your signal, they will universally speed up to keep you from merging. I am very conscientious about looking for a gap when merging on the highway, and I have even had people speed up to keep me from merging ahead of them. Also, for some reason EVERYONE thinks they need to be in the left lane. They also ignore traffic rules, but only to try to screw other drivers over.

Also, while I share some of your frustrations about bike lanes and pedestrians, that problem is in no way unique to Hawaii
I can definitely attest to this in NOVA. I'm from NY and they're even more polite then the idiots in VA. People will drive in the left hand (including Prius') and will not move. They don't give a shit. It's completely rude.

I would think people in Hawaii would be so nice. I mean, look at what they have to look at everyday!
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
cjb7621220.00
      10-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
If you put on your signal, they will universally speed up to keep you from merging. I am very conscientious about looking for a gap when merging on the highway, and I have even had people speed up to keep me from merging ahead of them.
Sorry dude, I know how you feel. I totally agree. I grew up around DC/MD/VA and I'm so desensitized to the shit driving skills around here. I don't even get mad at anyone anymore for even the most dangerous driving antics, it's effin sad.

Turning on your blinker to let people know you want to merge into their lane? Not a chance in hell around here. If there is someone remotely close to you, the minute you turn your blinker on, they WILL close the gap. This is very common in DC/MD/VA. It's sad to see out of state drivers get overtaken by car after car, not understanding why nobody will let them in

But, at least around here, most people have no idea what they're doing behind the wheel, and 9 out of 10 times the person merging into your lane will drive slower than you. It will make you go mad.

Not sure about Hawaii, but I think driving in NOVA is almost equivalent to driving in Manhattan, except the drivers have much shittier skills and could care less about doing the right thing.

What do you expect from a country that hands out drivers licenses like water bottles?

Last edited by catcher22; 10-24-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
cjb7621220.00
      10-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #10
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Sorry dude, I know how you feel. I totally agree. I grew up around DC/MD/VA and I'm so desensitized to the shit driving skills around here. I don't even get mad at anyone anymore for even the most dangerous driving antics, it's effin sad.

Turning on your blinker to let people know you want to merge into their lane? Not a chance in hell around here. If there is someone remotely close to you, the minute you turn your blinker on, they WILL close the gap. This is very common in DC/MD/VA. It's sad to see out of state drivers get overtaken by car after car, not understanding why nobody will let them in

But, at least around here, most people have no idea what they're doing behind the wheel, and 9 out of 10 times the person merging into your lane will drive slower than you. It will make you go mad.

Not sure about Hawaii, but I think driving in NOVA is almost equivalent to driving in Manhattan, except the drivers have much shittier skills and could care less about doing the right thing.

What do you expect from a country that hands out drivers licenses like water bottles?
I don't drive any more...I qualify.

My driving tactic is now to stay as far away from all vehicles as possible. I was on I-10 at 3:30 AM and overtake a car. This moron then changes lanes and flanks me for about 3 mileS WHEN THERE ISN'T ANOTHER CAR IN SIGHT. I sped up and he matched me 3 or 4 times at which point I became impatient and did a triple digit burst to clear him completely. This is typical of the crap that happens down here. The level of incompetence of the average driver is shocking and we'd all be better off staying as far away as possible when the opportunity presents itself.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^At least you have a cage. Try it on 2 wheels, you Spidey-senses really get a workout (or you get wiped out)
Appreciate 0