XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

E70 mods and assorted question thread

So being so new to BMW, these cars are modified differently, and run differently then what I have been exposed to being a mostly American vehicle wrench-er and owner.

First thing, with the e70s, do they have a lower bar radiator cap for these trucks? I know some of the other BMW's it makes sense to drop to a 1.2bar cap, as that tends to keep the cooling system from grenading itself.

Second thing, tuning, I think it would be between ESS and JB4, looks like the price point is right around $800, what is the good power to money ratio tuning options for the 50i trucks? I am leaning towards JB4 because they strike me as something with a bit more customization, though I am sure ESS is pretty good to. I may not tune at all for a while, this truck is PLENTY fast enough stock for me, but I know me, Ill get the itch for more soon.

thanks guys
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
So being so new to BMW, these cars are modified differently, and run differently then what I have been exposed to being a mostly American vehicle wrench-er and owner.

First thing, with the e70s, do they have a lower bar radiator cap for these trucks? I know some of the other BMW's it makes sense to drop to a 1.2bar cap, as that tends to keep the cooling system from grenading itself.

Second thing, tuning, I think it would be between ESS and JB4, looks like the price point is right around $800, what is the good power to money ratio tuning options for the 50i trucks? I am leaning towards JB4 because they strike me as something with a bit more customization, though I am sure ESS is pretty good to. I may not tune at all for a while, this truck is PLENTY fast enough stock for me, but I know me, Ill get the itch for more soon.

thanks guys
Well for the end of this month Dinan is running a half off sale for Their ECU software. It can be installed at any dealer that installers Dinan.

May also be a good option for you and at half the price it's a steal.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
azm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 96 SC M3, 20 X5MC

The ESS tune is incredible, transforms the 50i in to a beast. I went to the dealer a few weeks ago for service and returned the software to stock for a few days. It felt so sluggish and non responsive it was killing me.

I also replaced the stock cats/downpipes with a set of de-catted and ceramic coated stock downpipes last week and it transformed the truck again.

No more turbo lag and incredibly awesome sounding noises from the turbos and exhaust note now. I was considering doing something to get a deeper exhaust note and this did it. Lots of pops and crackles also :-)

I was going to apply the same treatment (de-catting and ceramic coat) to the sock pipes I pulled out and will be selling them for about $400 in the next few weeks if you are interested...

Only thing I have found with the ESS tune, is that when I wrap out the top of 4th gear with the A/C on, I get an error the the MAF is not reading enough air. I replaced the air filters with the drop-in's from http://n63intake.com and it fixed the issue 80% of the time (when I go up a steep freeway on-ramp with the pedal to the floor in high temperatures, I still get the error sometimes).
      02-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Well for the end of this month Dinan is running a half off sale for Their ECU software. It can be installed at any dealer that installers Dinan.

May also be a good option for you and at half the price it's a steal.
there is no reason to pay a 700$ premium other then the name, for software. $1500 at half off still doesn't settle well with me vs $800 I am seeing for others who seem to be making more power. Thanks for inputting though, I just won't go that way, if I can save money with others, unless there is an unseen advantage Dinan offers vs the other tunes I mentioned?
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter

Last edited by JoeyBimX5din; 02-27-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm3 View Post
The ESS tune is incredible, transforms the 50i in to a beast. I went to the dealer a few weeks ago for service and returned the software to stock for a few days. It felt so sluggish and non responsive it was killing me.

I also replaced the stock cats/downpipes with a set of de-catted and ceramic coated stock downpipes last week and it transformed the truck again.

No more turbo lag and incredibly awesome sounding noises from the turbos and exhaust note now. I was considering doing something to get a deeper exhaust note and this did it. Lots of pops and crackles also :-)

I was going to apply the same treatment (de-catting and ceramic coat) to the sock pipes I pulled out and will be selling them for about $400 in the next few weeks if you are interested...

Only thing I have found with the ESS tune, is that when I wrap out the top of 4th gear with the A/C on, I get an error the the MAF is not reading enough air. I replaced the air filters with the drop-in's from http://n63intake.com and it fixed the issue 80% of the time (when I go up a steep freeway on-ramp with the pedal to the floor in high temperatures, I still get the error sometimes).
And ESS will not change anything in the tune because of this? I would like some JB4 feedback, I have heard some good things about ESS, but they are not without hiccups. I don't think I can blame them though, I don't think there is a huge market for n63 tuning work, so they may not have a ton of R&D time.

So you just gutted your stock cats? You just bought a set of stockers and modded them? Or does a company offer this product?
Appreciate 0