XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #353
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Looks like there isn't a landscape mode on the home screen, as it uses the compact layout of the iphone 8 rather than the expanded layout of the 8+. Certain mail apps may not show the expanded layout in landscape mode either, due to the screen being essentially a taller version of the smaller screen. Also, when watching videos it is letterboxed and about the same size as the smaller phone unless you expand it to fill the screen, which cuts off the top and bottom of the image as well as the notch. The bigger phone has a 16:9 aspect ratio so better for watching movies/videos on the larger screen. The X has a larger diagonal measurement but is smaller in area than the 8+
What's the native resolution for the X? Full disclosure, I have the S8 so Android user here. Just looking to see if Apple thought through this new stretched video format better than Samsung. The annoying issues I'm dealing with are when I do a screen mirror, I constantly have to manually set the resolution to 16:9. I use an automation app which launches the screen mirroring when my phone connects to my car's blue tooth. However, I can't automate the screen resolution setting.

Also, Plex is another issue I have where they haven't updated their app to deal with the new screen resolution format. So right now when I watch videos on my phone, the video doesn't fill the screen vertically. I don't mind having left and right black bars. But I'm getting top and bottom black bars too.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #354
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Looks like there isn't a landscape mode on the home screen, as it uses the compact layout of the iphone 8 rather than the expanded layout of the 8+. Certain mail apps may not show the expanded layout in landscape mode either, due to the screen being essentially a taller version of the smaller screen. Also, when watching videos it is letterboxed and about the same size as the smaller phone unless you expand it to fill the screen, which cuts off the top and bottom of the image as well as the notch. The bigger phone has a 16:9 aspect ratio so better for watching movies/videos on the larger screen. The X has a larger diagonal measurement but is smaller in area than the 8+
What's the native resolution for the X? Full disclosure, I have the S8 so Android user here. Just looking to see if Apple thought through this new stretched video format better than Samsung. The annoying issues I'm dealing with are when I do a screen mirror, I constantly have to manually set the resolution to 16:9. I use an automation app which launches the screen mirroring when my phone connects to my car's blue tooth. However, I can't automate the screen resolution setting.

Also, Plex is another issue I have where they haven't updated their app to deal with the new screen resolution format. So right now when I watch videos on my phone, the video doesn't fill the screen vertically. I don't mind having left and right black bars. But I'm getting top and bottom black bars too.
Not sure what the resolution is without looking it up but I think it is sharper than my old phone. It seems I'm able to zoom in the video in most apps to fill the screen but some apps won't fill the screen but not when playing video just using the app itself. I think all apps are required to use QuickTime on the iPhone so you have the same functionality. I don't think it is 4K though. There's only one phone that has a 4 k display I think it is the Sony Xperia.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      11-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #355
Bomex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 N55

Quote:

Phone X sports a 2436 x 1125 resolution
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      11-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #356
Bomex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Whys that?
instead of launching the phone in Sept they waited till November giving them a month to make more phones.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #357
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

So I saw someone list on here an iPhone X for about $200 markup, not the mythical 2k price tag being floated around which means not a ton of profit especially if shipping to the buyer. Estimated shipping is now 3-4 weeks which means realistically 1-2 weeks and the previous 5-6 week estimates were just put out there to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #358
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Whys that?
instead of launching the phone in Sept they waited till November giving them a month to make more phones.
True I agree. Would have gave more time to sell the 8's. Also holidays are coming so X would have been wetter for that
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #359
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Got very lucky... cancelled my online order and reserved at local miami store... picked up 2 hrs later.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #360
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Got very lucky... cancelled my online order and reserved at local miami store... picked up 2 hrs later.
So does that mean I cAn go buy one in Atlanta? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #361
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

An Apple retail store?

When was that?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #362
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
An Apple retail store?

When was that?
Quote:
yeah, ucan now reserve online... typed in my zip, went and picked it up... line out front was like a mile lol
      11-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #363
ASAP
Major General
Rep

check it
Attached Images

11-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #364
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I ordered mine online last week on launch and got everyone one in my family one and everything was delivered to my house yesterday.

why go to line or wait or do any of this bs?

i really dont get people
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #365
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Sadly 12/1 is my backorder date. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #366
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Thought I'd update y'all.
I played with a demo X in store to be sure about my decision and I hated it.

The notch will divide opinions and I cannot stand the notch.

Face ID was not practical. It works really well but I still prefer unlocking my phone at awkward angles. I think some people will get over the lack of a home button quick. As said I use apple pay a lot and it is impractical to look at my phone every time.

Then it dawned on me that the X is a first generation product so anything that can go wrong with it might because of the all new design.

There I was comparing all these phones and for the first time I picked up a plus phone. Never thought I would turn to a phablet but I did.

The screen size impressed me. I looked at the X and thought gosh that screen is small and is smaller than the 8 screen but the longitudinal proponents of the X mean it has more screen - so it is deceptive in hand. It also nets a few hours extra battery life! I am a heavy media user so it would be nice to end my day with 30 per cent remaining after heavy use. Dual camera. The display quality is not too far off from the X. I have big hands and for once they are not making it difficult to type.

So welcome home 8 plus. Never thought I would go plus ever as always thought they were too big but I did and no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #367
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

I haven't tried Face ID with the setting where you don't have to look directly at it, it may unlock at an angle with that setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #368
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
The bigger phone has a 16:9 aspect ratio so better for watching movies/videos on the larger screen. The X has a larger diagonal measurement but is smaller in area than the 8+
My 55" TV is 16x9 too, so I want movies on that rather than my phone.

Really - is this actually a concern for people? I travel. I'm a Kiwi living in Texas. Never ever at all in my life have I watched a movie or any video of significance on my phone, other than comedic youtube clips friends texted to me. I have never been in a situation where I thought "I want to watch a movie" and haven't had a better option provided by someone else (hotel, airline, home TV...)
Appreciate 1
UncleWede18079.00
      11-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #369
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

2436 x 1125. Higher res than the 8+ (and every + before it) despite the smaller physical size.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      11-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #370
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post

Face ID was not practical. It works really well but I still prefer unlocking my phone at awkward angles. I think some people will get over the lack of a home button quick. As said I use apple pay a lot and it is impractical to look at my phone every time.

Then it dawned on me that the X is a first generation product so anything that can go wrong with it might because of the all new design.

There I was comparing all these phones and for the first time I picked up a plus phone. Never thought I would turn to a phablet but I did.

The screen size impressed me. I looked at the X and thought gosh that screen is small and is smaller than the 8 screen. It also nets a few hours extra battery life! I am a heavy media user so it would be nice to end my day with 30 per cent remaining after heavy use. Dual camera. The display quality is not too far off from the X. I have big hands and for once they are not making it difficult to type.

So welcome home 8 plus. Never thought I would go plus but I did and no regrets.
No - the X screen is not smaller than the 8 screen. You are deluded. The 8 has a 4.7" screen. Your 8+ has a 5.5" screen. The X has a 5.8 inch screen, although at a different aspect ratio. And at the same time - it has a higher resolution than your 8+. So while you've successfully purchased the ideal "old man" phone with nice big pixels, you have indeed purchased a phone with lower resolution than the X, even if you remove the "safe zones" top and bottom.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10187.50
      11-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #371
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:

The screen size impressed me. I looked at the X and thought gosh that screen is small and is smaller than the 8 screen. It also nets a few hours extra battery life! I am a heavy media user so it would be nice to end my day with 30 per cent remaining after heavy use. Dual camera. The display quality is not too far off from the X. I have big hands and for once they are not making it difficult to type.

So welcome home 8 plus. Never thought I would go plus but I did and no regrets.
No - the X screen is not smaller than the 8 screen. You are deluded. The 8 has a 4.7" screen. Your 8+ has a 5.5" screen. The X has a 5.8 inch screen, although at a different aspect ratio. And at the same time - it has a higher resolution than your 8+. So while you've successfully purchased the ideal "old man" phone with nice big pixels, you have indeed purchased a phone with lower resolution than the X, even if you remove the "safe zones" top and bottom.
FYAH
Appreciate 1
dinonz3216.00
      11-05-2017, 01:54 AM   #372
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:

The screen size impressed me. I looked at the X and thought gosh that screen is small and is smaller than the 8 screen but the longitudinal proponents of the X mean it has more screen - so it is deceptive in hand. It also nets a few hours extra battery life! I am a heavy media user so it would be nice to end my day with 30 per cent remaining after heavy use. Dual camera. The display quality is not too far off from the X. I have big hands and for once they are not making it difficult to type.

So welcome home 8 plus. Never thought I would go plus ever as always thought they were too big but I did and no regrets.
Felt the same way about the IPX. That notch will be gone on the next iteration. At first I was like, this is a pretty nice phone. after a bit I was like meh.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13360.50
      11-05-2017, 05:22 AM   #373
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Been using it for 2 days now and absolutely love it. I had a 6S before, I did get the 7 for a few days but didn’t find much of a difference between that and the 6S. The X on the other hand is the first properly new iPhone since the 6. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is incredible as well. The phone looks and feels the part as well. I will be keeping this phone for at least 2 years. Face-ID feature works great as well, and having a full screen makes going back to my 6S feel old.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10187.50
DSB335d1321.50
      11-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #374
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
Been using it for 2 days now and absolutely love it. I had a 6S before, I did get the 7 for a few days but didn’t find much of a difference between that and the 6S. The X on the other hand is the first properly new iPhone since the 6. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is incredible as well. The phone looks and feels the part as well. I will be keeping this phone for at least 2 years. Face-ID feature works great as well, and having a full screen makes going back to my 6S feel old.
My wife is very happy with hers as well. She's going from a 6 plus. We also bought an 8 plus that's she's been using for the past month or so which we are giving to her mom as she is still using a 5c:
Appreciate 1
GeorgeA758.00