XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Hidavey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Hybird

2012 X5 comes with white angel eye

Just saw a 2012 X5 5.0 with white angel eyes. I ran back to my office and called BMW parts dept. if they would go on a 2010 X6. The answer was no. Have to find after market. Someone posted using WeissLicht Ultra-Bright LED Angel Eye Upgrade for X6. Just want to know if anyone else used this and if there was any problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
DARE U
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

This topic been discussed over and over in this forum so many time, till now there are still don't have a solid answer to which brand of LED is the best. I'm using PIAA LED but it is not promising at all..but..much better then the halogen type.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Yup, this issue has been on-going for us X6ers.

I heard LUX is currently the best (close comparison to OEM LED rings). But they are still working on fitting it to the X6 headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
DARE U
Private
Rep

There's a friend in this forum just posted some pictures of his X6 with PIAA LED angel light, the result is very impressive and far much brighter then my PIAA! Have a look at bellow link and I might order his model as well:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532742
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yes, the PIAA that he uses in the pictures look great. It is bright and has a nice color.
DARE, after you get them, can you please also share the pictures (especially under direct sunlight)?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Yes, the PIAA that he uses in the pictures look great. It is bright and has a nice color.
DARE, after you get them, can you please also share the pictures (especially under direct sunlight)?
Here are some pictures taken at around 2:30pm under bright day light and also the PIAA that I'm using. As you can see it is a HUGE different with the other X6 which uses PIAA as well (the one I posted early on).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Can I ask a silly question?

Why is the outer halo ring not even lit? Don't know if UK spec is that different but when I changed up to LED markers I had both rings illuminated. You just turn the LED bulb to distribute light across the 2 halos.

Or is this just the preferred style over there?

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipez999 View Post
Can I ask a silly question?

Why is the outer halo ring not even lit? Don't know if UK spec is that different but when I changed up to LED markers I had both rings illuminated. You just turn the LED bulb to distribute light across the 2 halos.

Or is this just the preferred style over there?

That's what I had been saying, since I pop this PIAA in the light, only the inner ring is lighted and the rest is not. I did turn the led but the result still the same with the led faced the opening of the tube.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARE U View Post
There's a friend in this forum just posted some pictures of his X6 with PIAA LED angel light, the result is very impressive and far much brighter then my PIAA! Have a look at bellow link and I might order his model as well:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532742
The car in the quotes post is mine. I can say that the pictures so not do any justice to the bulbs. They are supe bright and super crisp. They are very visible in broad daylight. I'm actually at the dealer now and have been asked twice which bulb they are because some of the service techs want to use them.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are some pictures taken at around 2:30pm under bright day light and also the PIAA that I'm using. As you can see it is a HUGE different with the other X6 which uses PIAA as well (the one I posted early on).
Sorry to say but i hope those angel eyes dont like like that in person. We are currently working on re-designing the LUX H8 V3 to work with the X6 and X5M model and we should have them out soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

DARE_U, thank you for sharing the pictures.

Snipez999: Even for the stock lights, the inner rings seem a lot brighter than the outer rings. So I guess DARE's outer rings are still lit, but just not bright enough to show under direct sun light.

I am looking forward to the re-designed LUX! Thank you for the effort!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
Just to confirm - tonypap and DARE U are you guys using *different* PIAA models, or the same model with different results?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypap View Post
The car in the quotes post is mine. I can say that the pictures so not do any justice to the bulbs. They are supe bright and super crisp. They are very visible in broad daylight. I'm actually at the dealer now and have been asked twice which bulb they are because some of the service techs want to use them.
Yup...I like yours far better then mine even though is the same brand and this puzzle me a lot..anyhow..Im waiting for Lux to come out with their new light.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Sorry to say but i hope those angel eyes dont like like that in person. We are currently working on re-designing the LUX H8 V3 to work with the X6 and X5M model and we should have them out soon!
I'm still waiting for the good news from your side! Cheersss....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
Just to confirm - tonypap and DARE U are you guys using *different* PIAA models, or the same model with different results?
No idea at all, but the box look the same to me...For sure is same brand..PIAA..tonypap might have the latest improved version of the LED..this is what I can think of/.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
This topic been discussed over and over in this forum so many time, till now there are still don't have a solid answer to which brand of LED is the best. I'm using PIAA LED but it is not promising at all..but..much better then the halogen type.
I bought some time ago a set of PIAA H8's Extreme white, total frustration.....money lost, from what I have seen so far, new PIAA LED's are brighter but not even close to factory ones.
Here in Costa Rica there are plenty of new X5's and 5 Series running with factory LED's , you can see those cars coming on a shiny day, 12 noon from far away ! and there is a world of difference between factory and PIAA LED's

IMO is not worth it to keep throwing money on something that will never reach its goal....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #17
DARE U
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I bought some time ago a set of PIAA H8's Extreme white, total frustration.....money lost, from what I have seen so far, new PIAA LED's are brighter but not even close to factory ones.
Here in Costa Rica there are plenty of new X5's and 5 Series running with factory LED's , you can see those cars coming on a shiny day, 12 noon from far away ! and there is a world of difference between factory and PIAA LED's

IMO is not worth it to keep throwing money on something that will never reach its goal....
I did remove the bulb cover at the X5, surprisingly their angel ring bulb is kinda like HID!! Attached to it look like a ballast and from there onward I didn't take it out from its socket. I guess why their are much brighter and can be seen from mile away!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #18
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
We are currently working on re-designing the LUX H8 V3 to work with the X6 and X5M model and we should have them out soon!
Do you have a new ETA on this? The original estimate (4/29 I believe) is long gone. Perhaps people wouldn't be working so hard on an alternative if they know "all I have to do is wait until (insert date here)".

I have to admit, I'm considering getting some PIAAs myself. I really want some Lux's because I had them on my previous X5 and I loved them. But right now, I don't know if I have to wait a week or 2 years!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Do you have a new ETA on this? The original estimate (4/29 I believe) is long gone. Perhaps people wouldn't be working so hard on an alternative if they know "all I have to do is wait until (insert date here)".

I have to admit, I'm considering getting some PIAAs myself. I really want some Lux's because I had them on my previous X5 and I loved them. But right now, I don't know if I have to wait a week or 2 years!
I will wait until the new X6 comes with HID's probably it will be possible to retrofit our cars with OEM equipment......just a guess
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #20
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I will wait until the new X6 comes with HID's probably it will be possible to retrofit our cars with OEM equipment......just a guess
maybe I'm out of the loop here -
any firm(ish) dates for an updated X6?
i'm also impatiently waiting for the LUX units to be released.

also...
anyone (?LuxAngelEyes) have any side-by-side pics of the 2012 X5 or 5-series LED halo rings v. the current LUX set?
exposure and environmental conditions can totally change how lights appear in photos, so I'd like to see the two compared in the same photo.

Last edited by somonster; 05-28-2011 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by somonster View Post
maybe I'm out of the loop here -
any firm(ish) dates for an updated X6?
i'm also impatiently waiting for the LUX units to be released.

also...
anyone (?LuxAngelEyes) have any side-by-side pics of the 2012 X5 or 5-series LED halo rings v. the current LUX set?
exposure and environmental conditions can totally change how lights appear in photos, so I'd like to see the two compared in the same photo.
Its confirmed that the LUX H8 V3 will fit the X6 headlight - see my post here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=58
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #22
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Its confirmed that the LUX H8 V3 will fit the X6 headlight - see my post here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=58
Just noticed in your SALE THREAD that it fits X6 (2008 - current) but not X6M
What is the difference???

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8815982

Quote:
Product Compatibility:

• E92 3-Series Coupes | (2006-2010)
• E93 3-Series Convertibles | (2006-2010)
• E90/E92/E93 M3’s | ( 2006-Current)
• E90 LCI (with Xenon) | (2008-Current)
• E84 X1 ( with Xenon) | (2010-Current)
• E70 X5 (with Xenon) | (2007-Current)
• E71 X6 | (2008-Current)
• E89 Z4 ** | (2009-Current)
• E82 1-series (with Xenon) | (2007-Current)

• Does NOT Fit:
• X6m, or X5M
• E60 LCI 5-series
** - requires headlight modification to fit

** - requires headlight modification to fit

Last edited by AndreyATC; 06-02-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0