XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Hello! I'm a longtime lurker, first introduced to Bimmerpost years ago by my good friend Tron1043. One of his old 3 series was the first BMW I ever drove way back in college.

It's great to finally be a part of the BMW community with my first Bimmer - a 2013 e70 MSport 50i. I spend way too much time online and I'm not sure there's a better car community than the one here around Bimmers - thanks to all!

So I had VWs since I left college. Two GTIs and a Tiguan when the baby came along. While VW is a great product for the price point I was ready for my first substantial vehicle. I went back and forth with a number of cars (S6, Q7, Model S and 3 series GT were the most recent considerations) and finally chose the X5 (notice I didn't say "settle" for the X5). I chose to go with an e70 rather than wait for an F15 as I'm partial to the body style of the e70. I think it will go down in BMW history with the likes of the e39. The lines are just fantastic - especially with the MSport package.

Of course I may have saved a few pennies as well which doesn't hurt ;] Maybe the F15 will grow on me by the time I'm ready for an X5M - we'll see.

As a 6' 5" car enthusiast it's tough for me to find a vehicle that I fit in let alone others who may want to ride with me fit in as well! The X5 met all my needs and I couldn't resist going with the 50i as I'm a sucker for throaty exhaust. I knew the mileage would be bad - just not this bad! I suppose it evens out in the household, my wife drives an A3 TDI so 12+/- and 40+ leave us in a remotely acceptable place, right?

I needed something I enjoyed driving that also comfortably fit my wife and daughter. I've got a Clek Foonf car seat that is still rear facing - any of the Dads out there will know - those things ain't small.

I'm loving the truck so far, the design, comfort, power and sound are all incredible. If I had to nit-pick I would mention the LCI taillights are great but that upper corner light really should be the little LED cluster you see on the 3 & 5 series LCI tails - the ones we have look half baked imo.

So it's got just over 1k miles on it and I've had it in to service 3 times - yes t h r e e! I like my dealer but not that much - I can't keep wasting my day off there ogling at their frozen M5.

First visit was for squeaky brakes - I understand I have vet the new brakes (maybe it's bet I still haven't heard it clearly and evidently Google doesn't know of this special task for new brakes and I neglected to ask the service guy how to spell it). Living in the city I haven't had it on the highway yet so I'm told that had something to do with it - they're getting better but for awhile there I sounded like a CTA bus at every stop light.

The other two visits were for check engine lights. Both came back claiming gas cap wasn't closed. Silly rabbit, you have to close the gas cap after you fuel the truck. Really? I cinched that SOB down and the light came on well over a week after fill up both times. Anyway, service said if it happens a third time they're going to take it for 2+ days and check the integrity of the entire fuel system.

I don't have any stunning DSLR photos yet, maybe I'll snap some after it gets a wax following a Thanksgiving road trip to Northern Michigan. For now I have to settle for a couple of iPhone Instagram photos as that is all I have to share. Give me a follow at moabiite - if you're an Instagrammer - come on all the cool kids are doing it!

As you'll see in the photo I still haven't mounted my required front plate. One $60 ticket later I'm searching for a solution. I don't want to screw up that beauty of an MSport bumper. I also am not interested in the off center tow hook workaround. One suggestion I've gotten is 3M velcro and just slap it on when I'm parking on the street. I am leaning towards something that under-mounts on the very bottom of the bumper. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks for looking and I'll be sure to add more photos as I have them. I'm definitely going to make sure I post a photo of how the car seat fits. Car seat photos were one of the hardest things to find when I was researching various models.

Full Spec:
-Titanium Silver
-Black 'Nevada'
-Dark Bamboo
-Cold Weather
-M Sport
-Premium 2
-Premium Sound
-Tech/BMW Apps
Attached Images

Instagram@particulardude

Last edited by particulardude; 11-17-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Nice intro, and beautiful E70. As soon as my M3 is sold, I'll be getting one myself. Like you, the lines off the F15 don't appeal to me. I hope the issues you are having are resolved soon.

Enjoy your car in good health!
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Ginger Jay
Awesome Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E70 50i

Congrats moabite! I am in the same situation as you. Picking up a '13 X5 50i next week. And I have a baby on the way too. Anywho... congrats on the beautiful ride!

One more thing... did you get the M performance package? Mine has it and the computer mpg is at 10.8 right now. Hoping that improves over time as the engine breaks in.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Beautiful car, and the E70 just isn't complete without the M Sport package. When I was shopping for my E70 (I have a 2011), two things I was going to stand my ground on where the M Sport package and the fact that it had to be white. My wife's M Sport 135i is white so I wanted them to match. Haha.

I looked at the 50i, but having come from two gas guzzlers (a Dodge petrol and then a Dodge diesel truck), I really wanted something that would get me 25 mpg on the motorway. The 50i would have put me in a worse position than my 3/4 ton Dodge! Right now, I get 19 mpg around the city and 25 mpg on the motorway. Satisfied!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Do328j
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5

I have been impressed with my mileage on my 2011 x5 35i Just bought it used last month 52k on the odometer. Mixed driving mostly city 19-21 mpg. Highway 75 -78 mph 24 mpg.
Much better than my Honda Ridgeline... 15 -17 mpg mixed driving , 19 mpg highway. My x5 has way more power and better mileage nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Do328j
Enlisted Member
Rep

New to me 2011 x5

I have been impressed with my mileage on my 2011 x5 35i Just bought it used last month 52k on the odometer. Mixed driving mostly city 19-21 mpg. Highway 75 -78 mph 24 mpg.
Much better than my Honda Ridgeline... 15 -17 mpg mixed driving , 19 mpg highway. My x5 has way more power and better mileage nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Do328j
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
Great ride. AW is best color for X5 IMO. Not a big fan of M-Sport though.
For the front plate I would suggest tow hook mount frame, that's what I use.
      11-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh97 View Post
For the front plate I would suggest tow hook mount frame, that's what I use.
Ooh...I need one of those, mind sharing where you purchased?

OP - nice looking rig my friend! What color is it? It looks Alpine in the first picture but silver in the second. I hear you on the fuel mileage - these things are pigs and draaaaank the fuel. It's worth it though.

Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted with updates!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

X2Board - thanks, you won’t be disappointed!

Ginger Jay - congrats to you! I saw your thread about your deal, glad to hear it worked out! No performance package - I'm not sure I could wrap my head around any mpg that starts with 10 without it being an M but at the same time that will be the ultimate "sleeper" if you will.

P1et - thanks, I couldn’t agree more on M Sport being a must have. I know the wheel/tire package that comes with M Sport is available on other trims with the extended wheel arches but I just can’t get over how massive these rear wheels are! A buddy has a 997.2 GTS and I couldn’t believe how wide his rears are - turns out ours are even wider! Oh, and I bet I’ll be posting in a few years, referencing your post here, when I say how I had to get away from a thirsty V8 after I learn my lesson.

Singh97 & rennis - interesting it looks AW in the pics! Gotta be those silly Instagram filters. It’s Titanium Silver. I just added all the specs to the OP.

Instagram@particulardude

Last edited by particulardude; 11-17-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
I purchased them used from a forum member and it does not have a brand name marking on it either. But i know Bimmian sells the exact same one and there is brand called rho-plate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
Ooh...I need one of those, mind sharing where you purchased?
      11-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Ouch on the mileage, my ///M gets better than that and I drive it hard...
      11-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Love the M-Sport look ! I just couldn't find one in my color choice and options, but very satisfied otherwise. Some 20's with fender flares and i'll be halfway there
11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I found a front plate solution. Saw it on a Jeep SRT8 that parks next to me sometimes at work and then dug it up on Google - appears it's been discussed quite a bit here on the forum. I think I'll just go with the manual version - Hide The Plate

So I really never used DS or the paddles at all until I just hit the 1200 mile mark yesterday. DS is an impressive change for sure!

Does it change something in the exhaust or is it just the throttle adjustments that make it sound a bit more aggressive?

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Rollit115
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

This message board is great! Just bought 2012 E70 with sport package. Shopping for new summer performance tires for my new baby. Was looking at the Michelin sport but dealer recommending Bridgestone dueler sport rft. Any suggestions?
Currently has dunlops but there pretty loud and apparently have terrible wear rating.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328i

Congrats on your new X5! Regarding your brakes.....it's called "bedding in"....That should lead you to a few more Google hits!
      12-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxDawg View Post
Congrats on your new X5! Regarding your brakes.....it's called "bedding in"....That should lead you to a few more Google hits!
ahhh - thank you KnoxDawg!

Have to post some more pics soon. Popped over the 1,200 mile break in and have been enjoying DS a bit more lately - this thing is a monster. I might be intimidated to drive the M. I know I would have some speeding tickets that's for sure.

Received my second "no front plate" ticket this evening so it's time to order Hide The Plate. I have nothing in my condo garage to accommodate a DIY. Can anyone recommend a good local shop that will throw on the mount for me? I know IND is local but I'm not bothering them with such a mundane task.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #18
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I haven't seen my e70 in a week. Check engine light came on a third time in less than two months of having the truck. When does it get lemoned out?

No reflection on my dealer as they have been professional and solid every time I've had to take it in but wth - I don't have time for this crap.

Dealer was gracious enough to get me a 528 loaner as I need whatever extra room I can get for the kiddo. I just read another thread about a guy having issues with his F15, having 3 kids and getting a 328 loaner so I'm not complaining.

But seriously, if this doesn't get resolved and/or happens again - what's next?

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0