XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

New X5 owner here.

Hey guys,

IM a long time 335i owner, and my wifes malibu was about to kick the bucket so traded it on a cheap 2007 x5 for her, around 120,000 on it but the payments are cheap and she can afford them. Its a x5 3.0si, br

Carfax shows it to have just had alot of the routine maintenance done on it like coils/plugs etc.

So far the only things ive seen that i need to do is get a new set of hatch struts, the logo have fallen off the rear hatch roundel, and the passenger inner pull has turned to sticky goo (why...?)

anyways, First thing i'm replacing is that inner pull, and then i'd like to get a hitch for it. Can live with the struts, for a while with them being 70/ each. Any aftermarket options for these that are cheaper?

is there a hitch available that does not require any major cutting? and are there any that the hitch sits further under the bumper so you don't really see it there? on e trailers the 2 they have there says it requires major trimming of the facia. which i think means bumper cover, but not sure.

Second thing we're looking at trying is doing an android retrofit into the car she wants to be able to have a usb port, xm radio. the current aux port seems to not work. I'm still researching these, but if there's a recommended company for these let me know. also when doing the android swaps do you retain the ability to check vehicle status, like as it being just an additional input you select?

so far we love the x5, only wish we'd had the optional 3rd road for it, but those seem to be far and few around here.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

also one more question, because it's the first car with a backup camera for us... is it supposed to stay on after shifted from R to D? seems like it should shut off. we've been clicking the I drive button a couple of times to get it to go away after putting it in drive. Maybe it goes away after driving a few miles or so but we haven't tried that. SHe is getting annoyed though because as soon as its in drive she wants to start radio station changing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Welcome to the forum. Do a search for hitches. There’ve been many prior discussions. The rear camera should go off shortly after shifting into D and driving off.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

I read the answer of the inner pull -> goo thing somewhere. I'll save you some searching... Apparently that plastic is sensitive to cosmetic products - certain lotions, I think - and ladies like to put all that crap on and them go to work. Also common for the ladies to use the passenger seat... Anyway the plastic deteriorates badly from it. The only good fix is to completely replace the handle with OE.

The rear camera turns off either at like 5mph or when it hits second gear. It's like 5 secs after you start moving.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0