XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

My warranty runs out this Friday, and I've been thinking about getting an extended one for the next couple years. With less than 35K on the odometer, hat's probably the soonest I'd replace the car anyway. A friend of mine just had to replace the water pump on his 335i and it ran about $1200 at the dealer, so I'm a little concerned about this.

If anyone's out of warranty, would you mind sharing your thoughts or experiences about it? Would you just set aside funds for future repairs instead of getting an extended warranty?

As a side note, just wanted to put in a good word for my service advisor Ken Evan at Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, who got me in today for an "end of warranty" inspection without an appointment and found the front brakes in need of replacement. Saved me $1000 right there, and completed the job same day.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Hmmmm.....your Dinan warranty expires, too, I presume, or would they extend theirs if BMW does same?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M View Post
Hmmmm.....your Dinan warranty expires, too, I presume, or would they extend theirs if BMW does same?
Yeah, the Dinan warranty goes bye-bye too. Not thrilled about that, but knew it was coming. If I get really concerned about it, I suppose I can just go back to stock and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
My warranty runs out this Friday, and I've been thinking about getting an extended one for the next couple years. With less than 35K on the odometer, hat's probably the soonest I'd replace the car anyway. A friend of mine just had to replace the water pump on his 335i and it ran about $1200 at the dealer, so I'm a little concerned about this.

If anyone's out of warranty, would you mind sharing your thoughts or experiences about it? Would you just set aside funds for future repairs instead of getting an extended warranty?

As a side note, just wanted to put in a good word for my service advisor Ken Evan at Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, who got me in today for an "end of warranty" inspection without an appointment and found the front brake pads in need of replacement. Saved me $1000 right there, and completed the job same day.
$1000 to replace $100 (parts cost) front brake pads ? It is a 1/2hr (at the most) do-it-yourself job, why would someone ever pay $1000 to replace brake pads?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep

Whoops- meant just front brake job, so pads *and* rotors.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I purchased the extended warranty $1200 at the time, it has paid for itself many times over. to repair air condition leak ( remove dash , replace a bunch of stuff) was $2800 that was billed to extended folks, also had the backup cooling system for turbos go south , that was $1700. so if you use it once you paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info, dmglc. That's a fantastic price- did you get BMW's or a third party warranty?

Also just wanted to share pricing info for anyone else who might be in a similar situation. I was quoted $4850 for 6 year/100K and $4450 for 6 year/70K for BMW's own platinum extended warranty. Without pushing too hard, the best price I could get was $4050 for the 6 year/70K, which is when resistance started. Also, pretty much every dealership wanted me to bring in the car for an inspection, although a couple of them also said they'd accept a local dealership's inspection report as well.

As for myself, I decided to forgo the extended because I couldn't find a copy of the contract online anywhere and wasn't sure whether my Dinan modification would give grounds for denying a claim. I figure as a somewhat conservative driver with only 33K on the odometer, the chance is low that something major goes wrong and costs over $4K before I'd switch into something else. *Knocks on wood.*

I'll update with repairs as I go.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

My extended warranty is Easycare , my only mod(other than grills and light stuff I did myself) was the BMW "performance tune" (not as good as Dinan's) done by the dealer which I think now is an option when ordering.
The price was a deal but we were buying two cars at the time so I was able to negotiate (most likely them made it up elsewhere in the deal). I don't know if you get a better price if you do it an purchase vs doing it later.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

Knock on wood, the only problem I have had thus far is I needed to replace the camera on the driver's side mirror. My warranty expires in another year but I think overall these vehicles are pretty reliable. I haven't heard about any major problems from a stock X5M/X6M.

However I have the BPM tune and an Eisenmann Race exhaust, but so far so good!
Appreciate 0