XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Question DEFA products and 22" wheels inquiries

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and new to BMW vehicles. Does anyone know who are certified installers of DEFA products in Alberta, Canada?

Secondly, I am planning to buy 22" wheels for my x5M but I am a little bit overwhelmed of the products out there. I've seen velos V, savini and d2 forged wheels, these wheels looks really good in pictures but not sure if it will be good when installed and how much these companies differ in pricing Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Welcome to the forum fellow albertan, can't answer you first question, but you can defiantly try to call around and ask, I'm not sure if anyone has done it tho.

As for your question on wheels, there are a lot more brands than what you have listed, they mostly make good products it comes down to personal design preference and liking at the end, for 22inch rims it can range anywhere from the low thousand to mid two thousand. It all depends on the brand and request
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
Welcome to the forum fellow albertan, can't answer you first question, but you can defiantly try to call around and ask, I'm not sure if anyone has done it tho.

As for your question on wheels, there are a lot more brands than what you have listed, they mostly make good products it comes down to personal design preference and liking at the end, for 22inch rims it can range anywhere from the low thousand to mid two thousand. It all depends on the brand and request
Hello there, fellow albertan.
yeah i was planning to get 22x10.5 fronts and 22x12 rears. Kinda liking the savini wheels but shipping is a killer. thats why, I'm just looking for a dealer here in canada to cut cost on shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

Buy my Hamann 23" rims!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roychimac View Post
Buy my Hamann 23" rims!
Any pics? width size? and of course how much?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Another Albertan, welcome.
      01-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

haha, looks like we need to do an alberta X5M meet soon
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

That sounds good. But not this time of the year though. Summer hopefully.

Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph Metallic X5M

Welcome...buying 22"s can be problematic...just an FYI. Make sure you do your due diligence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzblau View Post
Welcome...buying 22"s can be problematic...just an FYI. Make sure you do your due diligence.
Thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations? Just stay with stock? I was browsing for info about driving 22"s. I will see if ican find an article about this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
How so?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph Metallic X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
How so?
Of course you can do it...some combinations can mess with x drive BADLY. Just do your research
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^ the key is to keep the over all rolling diameter as close to OEM as possible, nothing too complicated
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course you can do it...some combinations can mess with x drive BADLY. Just do your research
That goes for any wheel size not just 22"

I like to keep the overall diameters as close to stock as possible, more than 3% larger than stock sizes is commonly known to cause additional stress on steering and braking components. However as long as front and rear wheels are within a couple % of each other in overall diameter the xdrive and abs will not have any issues. So technically you could go smaller or larger than OEM sizes and everything would function correctly aside from the speedometer being out.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-02-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Welcome OP. 22s are the route I plan on going with my X5M as well. I can tell you personally from multiple years of experience and almost invested in D2 wheels that I would probably stay away from their wheels. Great guys, but they have very poor quality control on their wheels. I had several sets for an E90 M3, range rover SC, Bentley GT and Aston Martin. All them had issues. Whether cosmetic or more severe like not properly bored, offsets, bolt pattern, etc. Even bigger wheel distributors and tuners in my area Boston, MA and along the east coast dropped them because of the quality control issues.

Velos makes a great looking wheel and I have been working with Omar the last several months. There are lots of brands out there. Do your research and ask the right questions. Lot of these "forged wheels companies" may not build the right load rating for the X5. They may have the sizes, but be cautious.

I recommend calling Rick at Wheels Performance. I have known him for years now. He is located in MIAMI. He is the owner of Wheels Performance and he only carries top of the line forged wheel brands. Most importantly, he is honest, truthful and his only intention is to deliver the customer with great quality and service. I have bought several sets of wheels from him with a few different brands. All of them came out of incredible, were delivered ahead of scheduled timing, and would update me weekly.

He is exceptional and runs a first class business. Much like an IND, ACM, VAC, ESS, etc. that you read about online. He carries Velos wheels and works very close to Omar and I believe they know each other well.

That is my personal and professional recommendation. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Welcome OP. 22s are the route I plan on going with my X5M as well. I can tell you personally from multiple years of experience and almost invested in D2 wheels that I would probably stay away from their wheels. Great guys, but they have very poor quality control on their wheels. I had several sets for an E90 M3, range rover SC, Bentley GT and Aston Martin. All them had issues. Whether cosmetic or more severe like not properly bored, offsets, bolt pattern, etc. Even bigger wheel distributors and tuners in my area Boston, MA and along the east coast dropped them because of the quality control issues.

Velos makes a great looking wheel and I have been working with Omar the last several months. There are lots of brands out there. Do your research and ask the right questions. Lot of these "forged wheels companies" may not build the right load rating for the X5. They may have the sizes, but be cautious.

I recommend calling Rick at Wheels Performance. I have known him for years now. He is located in MIAMI. He is the owner of Wheels Performance and he only carries top of the line forged wheel brands. Most importantly, he is honest, truthful and his only intention is to deliver the customer with great quality and service. I have bought several sets of wheels from him with a few different brands. All of them came out of incredible, were delivered ahead of scheduled timing, and would update me weekly.

He is exceptional and runs a first class business. Much like an IND, ACM, VAC, ESS, etc. that you read about online. He carries Velos wheels and works very close to Omar and I believe they know each other well.

That is my personal and professional recommendation. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Thank you very much for this info. Helps me alot to decide which one to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Buy my Hamann 23" rims!
Do you have any pics yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred_natz View Post
Do you have any pics yet?
I am hoping to have some for everybody by the time I'm back next Sunday.

PM me your email and I'll get them to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am hoping to have some for everybody by the time I'm back next Sunday.

PM me your email and I'll get them to you.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

To really help, what is you budget? Velos wheels with tires will be close to $10,000CAD by the time you get them here. Same with HRE, ADV1 and the other high end forged wheels with tires. I paid about $2,500 for my Advan tires alone....

Are you in Edmonton or Calgary? Calgary seems to have a couple good shops, ECUProgram is a great source for parts/wheels and they also code and tune BMWs. Tuner works deals in high end wheels they sell lots of ADV and HRE wheels.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-04-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #21
deepred_natz
YOLO
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
To really help, what is you budget? Velos wheels with tires will be close to $10,000CAD by the time you get them here. Same with HRE, ADV1 and the other high end forged wheels with tires. I paid about $2,500 for my Advan tires alone....

Are you in Edmonton or Calgary? Calgary seems to have a couple good shops, ECUProgram is a great source for parts/wheels and they also code and tune BMWs. Tuner works deals in high end wheels they sell lots of ADV and HRE wheels.
I'm looking at velos but not sure yet. just taking my time browsing for good deals for now. do you know if velos wheels will comprise handling? did you ever try hamann wheels? I'm in fort mcmurray. 4 hrs north from edmonton.

thanks for the info though. i will be goin to calgary next week but not sure if i have time to shop. let see..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #22
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred_natz View Post
I'm looking at velos but not sure yet. just taking my time browsing for good deals for now. do you know if velos wheels will comprise handling? did you ever try hamann wheels? I'm in fort mcmurray. 4 hrs north from edmonton.

thanks for the info though. i will be goin to calgary next week but not sure if i have time to shop. let see..
I always wanted a 3/4 of a million dollar house, I just never thought it would be a double wide mobile home in McMurray

ECUProgram in Calgary works with Velos one day when I was there they had an X5M with Velos 22" on it they looked great! As far as handling I doubt you would notice any negative effects, the wider wheels/tires would help handling but the increased weight and more weight farther out from the hub may hurt it so it might be a wash in the end.