XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Question H&R springs + adaptive drive + self-leveling...thoughts?

Hey all, I'm thinking about adding a set of H&R springs (1.2/1.0" drop) to give the X5 a little more aggressive stance.

I have a 2011 50i M Sport with Adaptive Drive and self-leveling suspension (3rd row), stock wheels and no spacers (for now).

I've searched around and found reviews that range from "awful" to "rides like OEM", so I wanted to see if I could find a few people with similar setups to chime in and share their thoughts. I would't mind a slightly stiffer ride, but with two kids (and one more on the way) I don't want to sacrifice ride quality just for looks.

Also, I was quoted $600 by a local shop to have the springs installed...does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
      01-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M and E60 M5

I put H&R springs on our X5M and I think it rides really harshly. It's very bad if you bottom out the links on the self-leveling suspension, but with them turned about half-way up it's livable, though the front suspension is still extremely harsh. Hit any potholes and you'll bottom out your suspension.

I think if you want to lower your car, do it properly and go for coilovers. Springs are a nice quick fix for sure, but in the long run you'll probably regret it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHorton View Post
I put H&R springs on our X5M and I think it rides really harshly. It's very bad if you bottom out the links on the self-leveling suspension, but with them turned about half-way up it's livable, though the front suspension is still extremely harsh. Hit any potholes and you'll bottom out your suspension.

I think if you want to lower your car, do it properly and go for coilovers. Springs are a nice quick fix for sure, but in the long run you'll probably regret it.
Thanks for the info. That's kind of the consensus I'm finding as well...coilovers is the only way to go. The only downside here (aside from cost obviously) is I'd lose the adaptive suspension button.

Did you do a 2.0" or 1.2" drop in the front?
      01-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
I have had H&R's on for a couple weeks now. the 1.2 front with self leveling lowering links in the rear. To me, the front is very close to stock. Just a touch harsher on really big impacts, but no "bottoming out" there is just less travel in the spring. It completely eliminates what little body roll existed, and also eliminates nose dive on hard braking. I did a lot of research on this, too, and I am still undecided on whether to stay with H and R or go with coil overs. The ride in the rear is entirely dependent on how low it is adjusted. Mine was too low initially, and it was like a fat girl - her ass jiggled all the time. I raised it two turns, and it is better. Now I only get the jiggle when there are repeat bumps before the chassis settle from the first bump. It is much more tolerable, but not perfect. I may have to go up again, but I want to see it with mu summer wheels on before I decide. If you want the slammed look, you have to go with coilovers - as your ride with H and R's adjusted that low will suck. If you just want to drop it moderately, you can have a lower ride and a comfortable ride with H and R's.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
I have had H&R's on for a couple weeks now. the 1.2 front with self leveling lowering links in the rear. To me, the front is very close to stock. Just a touch harsher on really big impacts, but no "bottoming out" there is just less travel in the spring. It completely eliminates what little body roll existed, and also eliminates nose dive on hard braking. I did a lot of research on this, too, and I am still undecided on whether to stay with H and R or go with coil overs. The ride in the rear is entirely dependent on how low it is adjusted. Mine was too low initially, and it was like a fat girl - her ass jiggled all the time. I raised it two turns, and it is better. Now I only get the jiggle when there are repeat bumps before the chassis settle from the first bump. It is much more tolerable, but not perfect. I may have to go up again, but I want to see it with mu summer wheels on before I decide. If you want the slammed look, you have to go with coilovers - as your ride with H and R's adjusted that low will suck. If you just want to drop it moderately, you can have a lower ride and a comfortable ride with H and R's.
Thanks. Definitely not looking to go slammed...just a mild drop.
      01-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
Thanks. Definitely not looking to go slammed...just a mild drop.
If money is no object, go coil overs and there are no regrets. If you are having a hard time justifying damn near 4K after install to lower your ride, and a moderate drop is sufficient, and you aren't a total ride snob, then give the H&R or Dinan a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If money is no object, go coil overs and there are no regrets. If you are having a hard time justifying damn near 4K after install to lower your ride, and a moderate drop is sufficient, and you aren't a total ride snob, then give the H&R or Dinan a try.
Strange, KW doesn't even show a kit for the 50i with self-leveling suspension, but they do have one for the X5M with self-leveling. Maybe I need to give them a call.

Either way, I'll probably wait until the weather warms up and I get my summer tires back on before I pull the trigger on anything.
      01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Strange, KW doesn't even show a kit for the 50i with self-leveling suspension, but they do have one for the X5M with self-leveling. Maybe I need to give them a call.

Either way, I'll probably wait until the weather warms up and I get my summer tires back on before I pull the trigger on anything.
It's the same set up for both. Talk to Velos - they had the best prices when I was looking, and their customer service is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's the same set up for both. Talk to Velos - they had the best prices when I was looking, and their customer service is outstanding.
Thanks!
      01-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
alpin325
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36/5/4 M3

Not to hijack you thread, but I also want to lower my 4.8. I was looking at eibach instead. Anyone have any experience with these springs?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

I have the H&Rs with self-leveling rears and I enjoy them. As others have said, the adjustment of the rear end-links is paramount to them riding right. You have to dial in a touch of forward rake. Some don't like doing that, but I have no qualms with it at all. Visually I prefer it over a dead-level vehicle at stock ride height.

coilovers are an expensive option on a SUV. Personally, I don't see the advantage. I have coilovers on 3 other vehicles too. With the adaptive suspension and factory air in the rear, I wouldn't swap out for coilovers, the factory suspension works great for what these were intended to do.

As for the ride quality, I could not perceive much change from the factories. Over jarring bumps (potholes, abrupt lane or driveway edges) at speed you can feel a slight difference, but I've never bottomed out the suspension as others have mentioned. I'd hate to even know how they accomplished that... yikes.

I didn't notice a marked improvement in handling or body roll with the springs. I don't really think the H&Rs are much (if any) stiffer than the stockers. I haven't done any research on spring rates for the front but I really doubt an H&R equipped (non-M) X5 would do a lap around a track any faster than stocker would. For me the modification was purely for aesthetics.

Over speed bumps is the only place I notice a significant change. You CAN bottom out the suspension over speed bumps and I suggest slowing down going over them until you get a feel for the suspension travel going over there. That was the only real difference I felt between stock and the H&Rs.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
I have the H&Rs with self-leveling rears and I enjoy them. As others have said, the adjustment of the rear end-links is paramount to them riding right. You have to dial in a touch of forward rake. Some don't like doing that, but I have no qualms with it at all. Visually I prefer it over a dead-level vehicle at stock ride height.

coilovers are an expensive option on a SUV. Personally, I don't see the advantage. I have coilovers on 3 other vehicles too. With the adaptive suspension and factory air in the rear, I wouldn't swap out for coilovers, the factory suspension works great for what these were intended to do.

As for the ride quality, I could not perceive much change from the factories. Over jarring bumps (potholes, abrupt lane or driveway edges) at speed you can feel a slight difference, but I've never bottomed out the suspension as others have mentioned. I'd hate to even know how they accomplished that... yikes.

I didn't notice a marked improvement in handling or body roll with the springs. I don't really think the H&Rs are much (if any) stiffer than the stockers. I haven't done any research on spring rates for the front but I really doubt an H&R equipped (non-M) X5 would do a lap around a track any faster than stocker would. For me the modification was purely for aesthetics.

Over speed bumps is the only place I notice a significant change. You CAN bottom out the suspension over speed bumps and I suggest slowing down going over them until you get a feel for the suspension travel going over there. That was the only real difference I felt between stock and the H&Rs.
Thanks for the insight. Did you do the 2.0" drop in front, or 1.2?
      01-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Did you do the 2.0" drop in front, or 1.2?
1.2" which ends up being quite a bit more once they settle.

I was really torn on whether to do springs on this ride because I have coilovers on everything else I own. I actually got this suspension off another forum member's X5 after he traded it in on a Cayenne GTS. The new owner wanted stock height so we swapped straight across. Read "SerbX5"s posts in this thread, it's enlightening:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775997
Appreciate 0