XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

05-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Wannabe

X5M Pricing

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Looking for some help/advice. Have been heavily shopping for an X5M and have found one (CPO) that is priced $5K above what both KBB and NADA have priced it at. In my negotiations with the dealer and in order to get closer to the NADA/KBB pricing the dealer has removed the CPO, now $3K above the NADA/KBB pricing. I am being jerked around and about to walk.

Any board members that have access to what the "should be" price would be based on BMW dealers, Manhiem, etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

2011 X5M, Melbourne Red, Bamboo Interior, all options including Ventilated Seats, 18K on the ODO.

TIA!

Last edited by 777man; 05-06-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
It will be better if you can share some pictures and details about the vehicle (for sale link). Some M's can have features/upgrades/mods which are expensive and worth paying the extra.
      05-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh97 View Post
It will be better if you can share some pictures and details about the vehicle (for sale link). Some M's can have features/upgrades/mods which are expensive and worth paying the extra.
Updated my original post giving the particulars.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Tremek
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V Wagon / 2011 X5M

I'm also in the market and I saw that one today online; being a 2011, that CPO is only going to last so long anyway - maybe only another year and a half? There's a 24k mile 2011 (not red - if that's a must-have I think you're going to be shopping a while) in south Florida for $45k.

That dealer is probably too far into that car and/or thinks the 18k miles means it's gold, unless your heart's set on the color and low miles I'd look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:03 AM   #5
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

the dealer cannot remove CPO.
that means they haven't CPO'd it yet
it cost them money to CPO, about $1000 apparently.
retail on CPO is $2-3K.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Tremek
Private
United_States
Rep

What are the limits for BMW to be able to CPO a car? Miles/years/etc, assuming condition is up to snuff?

Furthermore, how important would you guys rate CPO? Those of you that have CPO, have you gotten your money's worth and more, or are the cars pretty solid? In particular it feels like one bout of injectoritis can pay for itself with CPO... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
What are the limits for BMW to be able to CPO a car? Miles/years/etc, assuming condition is up to snuff?

Furthermore, how important would you guys rate CPO? Those of you that have CPO, have you gotten your money's worth and more, or are the cars pretty solid? In particular it feels like one bout of injectoritis can pay for itself with CPO... Thanks!
what you really want to know is how much they are in for it.

i'd guess low to mid 40s max.

i'd pay no more than 45 and try and get it CPOed or another extended warranty. this baby has issues, expensive ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Here are the Manheim prices for a 2011 X5M, for May 2015.

Because of the low miles, this vehicle is probably marked up at least 10 grand from Manheim auction pricing.

Dealer's can remove CPO, as long as the paperwork has not been submitted to BMWNA. Often times this doesn't happen until a sale has occurred. Rarely are they willing to remove it. On a X5M, you DEFINITELY want CPO ... heck, you really shouldn't own a M car outside the BMW 4yr/50K mi warranty, everything is so outrageously expensive!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2011 X5M - Manheim - May 2015.pdf (77.2 KB, 179 views)
      05-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
Salottox5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

can you send the report with the actual sales -- theres another link you can click on that manheim site

to buyer -- any decisions? i'm curious if you found something under $40k

honestly -- why not spend another $10k.. BUT get MUCH less miles AND warranty

great cars.. yes.. but the one you mentioned had 75k miles -- ALL cars between 75-125k need All major parts replaced do to wear.. no way around it -- i remember when I had my 02 m5 -- BMW recommended $7500 in replacements -- I only NEEDED $800 in a fix, but the point is -- that its recommended the major items get replaced so your car operated at 100% and always starts!

Good luck and keep us posted -- i thin for $50k you can get a nice 2012 with warranty!
      05-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Tremek
Private
United_States
Rep

This is how the math is stacking up for the '11 with 54k I'm buying:

$41k purchase price
$3300 tax I'll be paying to my state/county
$3000 for a 3 year, 30,000 exclusionary warranty or $4500 for a 5 year, 50k mile policy that I'm buying privately through Carchex/Assurant

So for $47,500 or so, I have a decent car that has evidence of a good service history (injectors, brand new tires, etc) that many of these cars don't come with.

By way of contrast, the cheapest BMW CPO car in the country is a $52k 2011, so add another $4k in tax on top of that and it quickly becomes almost $9k more expensive than the car I'm purchasing. By the way, said '11 with 25k on it that's CPO was apparently a manufacturer's demo car - no thanks!

The next car up on the rung is a 2012 with 39k on it for $53k, which looks to be a decent deal - assuming you're interested in spending $10k+ more than my 2011.

Overall I think I will do just fine with our 2011, and save a bunch of cash in the process.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
This is how the math is stacking up for the '11 with 54k I'm buying:

$41k purchase price
$3300 tax I'll be paying to my state/county
$3000 for a 3 year, 30,000 exclusionary warranty or $4500 for a 5 year, 50k mile policy that I'm buying privately through Carchex/Assurant

So for $47,500 or so, I have a decent car that has evidence of a good service history (injectors, brand new tires, etc) that many of these cars don't come with.

By way of contrast, the cheapest BMW CPO car in the country is a $52k 2011, so add another $4k in tax on top of that and it quickly becomes almost $9k more expensive than the car I'm purchasing. By the way, said '11 with 25k on it that's CPO was apparently a manufacturer's demo car - no thanks!

The next car up on the rung is a 2012 with 39k on it for $53k, which looks to be a decent deal - assuming you're interested in spending $10k+ more than my 2011.

Overall I think I will do just fine with our 2011, and save a bunch of cash in the process.
Sounds like a good deal, and one you're most comfortable with, which is all that matters.

Just a couple of other thoughts…

I don't think you can compare an aftermarket warranty to BMW's CPO warranty, can you? My only experience with a 3rd party warranty was awful, they wanted to exclude everything, and I had to wait around for them (sometimes up to a week) to get out to the dealer to inspect the problem, whereas you don't have to deal with that if the warranty is through BMW.

Second, the factory demo car…yes I agree, my first thought would be 'no thanks' as well. However, it probably has every last package and option? And it is CPO'd, meaning it had to pass through a long series of tests, both mechanical and condition, to even qualify for CPO. Therefore it's likely it top shape.

Have fun w/ your new X!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
Tremek
Private
United_States
Rep

I think CPO certification is hit-or-miss. The qualification inspection is not unlike a pre-purchase inspection, coupled with mileage/age thresholds. There are a ton of potential issues that inspection either can't or won't find.

Sure, all things being equal, I'm happy to have the manufacturer being the one holding the bag should issues arise - but considering the cost difference, and the exclusionary warranty (versus many of the inclusionary warranties out there) being a discussion between the shop and the warranty company - no inspection by the insurance company is required to do the repair, and 'wear and tear' is a suitable reason for service with the top tier warranties - this should be relatively comparable. I also understand that some of BMW's warranties may in fact be through the same company, but I haven't found anything conclusive yet, nor do I know which tiers.

Re: the 25k mile car, an auto journalist friend once told me never buy a press or mfr's demo car, because they're treated worse than rentals. I can believe that. I would rather have the privately owned and serviced car that likely hasn't ever been on a track, so that I can be the one to heap the abuse on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #13
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
the dealer cannot remove CPO.
that means they haven't CPO'd it yet
it cost them money to CPO, about $1000 apparently.
retail on CPO is $2-3K.
I spoke to BMWNA about this and they informed me that the dealer can in fact remove the CPO if they so desired. From BMWNA: All BMW dealers are treated as independent contractors, so it is their decision to do so.

Last edited by 777man; 05-13-2015 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Just another tidbit that I have discovered in my search and confirmed by BMWNA. The CPO is warranty is good for 72 months or 100K miles based on in service date (ISD). So for a 2011, based on ISD you could potentially only have 12 to 18 months of CPO remaining from date of purchase. So, you must ask yourself do you really want to pay the $2 to $3K premium that is normally associated with CPO for a max of 18 mo. depending on how much you drive the vehicle?

Last edited by 777man; 05-13-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #15
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
I too am in the market for an X5M. Trying to stay within Arizona, Las Vegas area, and Southern California.

Thus far, nothing but problems. All asking prices appear to be over retail no matter the age or the miles.

I missed out on a '12 black/red CPO with 35k a couple months ago locally. They wouldn't budge off their $63k asking price.

There's a white/black '12 CPO in Newport, CA right now but their internet department appears to be incompetent. I contacted them twice. 2 days later they respond to my inquiry by simply stating call us. I advised as I'm 6 hours drive away, I'd prefer email. No reply for 3 days. Emailed them again. Still no reply 3 days later. Ridiculous.

The difficult part is I'm getting my balls kicked in on my '11 M3 trade due to 75k miles but then being asked to pay over book for the X5M. I was in the auto sales industry for several years. I just can't justify doing that.

-James

2020 RDX A-Spec : Apex Blue Pearl / Red
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #16
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dn3k Flyby View Post

I was in the auto sales industry for several years. I just can't justify doing that.
-James
... then you know that the law of Supply and Demand applies to rare commodities!

The question I ALWAYS ask myself: what else can I do with the money (once the newness of the M has worn off).

For me it came to this: been tempted several times in the past year to plunk down that wad of cash for an elusive X5M ... until I spoke with the GM of my dealership about buying an X5M. He said (!): "think about it ... you'l be all excited for the next 2 or 3 weeks, driving this car with all that power ... after that, you'll slow down and be forced to drive the M just like you drive your 50i doing 50 - 60mph, about 90% of the time ..."

I thanked him and walked away ... The money I saved has since appreciated another 10% in its investment.
      05-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #17
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
I believe the primary issue with the one I was considering is that the dealership that has it is buried in it. They're a Nissan dealership that took it in on an old age 2015 GTR and enticed the previous owner of the X5M to drive 5 hours to trade it in. It's just not the right one to negotiate on.

There's another '12 locally that is a CPO at in independent lot. CPO is good through 7/2017. I think I'll get more money for my trade there. More So than a BMW dealer as they wouldn't want to retail my higher mileage '11 M3. It's black, which I would prefer to avoid, but I can suck it up, or have it wrapped. AZ roads and washes are harsh on dark colored cars.

We shall see.

-James

2020 RDX A-Spec : Apex Blue Pearl / Red
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #18
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys, found this truck but the front bumper bothers me a bit. The paint on front bumper looks flat and/or abraded to me. The other views don't show anything different. What do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777man View Post
Hey guys, found this truck but the front bumper bothers me a bit. The paint on front bumper looks flat and/or abraded to me. The other views don't show anything different. What do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]
I saw this one the other day on BMWUSA.com. It does sort of look that way in pictures, but the fact it's CPO it must the lighting/pic angle/etc., as I don't think they would/could list it as certified with obvious paint damage/paint work?

It's too bad this one doesn't have the Full LED headlights being it's a 2013 model (the only year they were an option).

I'd give the dealer a call and ask for some different/better pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #20
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I saw this one the other day on BMWUSA.com. It does sort of look that way in pictures, but the fact it's CPO it must the lighting/pic angle/etc., as I don't think they would/could list it as certified with obvious paint damage/paint work?

It's too bad this one doesn't have the Full LED headlights being it's a 2013 model (the only year they were an option).

I'd give the dealer a call and ask for some different/better pictures.
Concur regarding the LED lights as well. Guess that I will have to call the dealer for more pics/questions.

TKS.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777man View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
It looks like the color of the curtains is reflecting off of the front bumper giving the appearance of faded/dull paint. I'm sure if it's a cpo the paint will be fine good luck
Appreciate 0