XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
X6exy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 35I

Smile 20" tire All Season in lew of full snow tire.

I was recently looking for Snow tires for my X6 with 20" rims. I would have loved to have purchased a set of 19" or 18" rims and have a dedicated snow tire but due to low funds because of a home purchase I had to go with a set of 20" tires. I decided that since I am only in Germany for one more winter (US Army) that a set of new all seasons would get me through and that at least I would not have a set of snow tires sitting in the garage for years as snow tires are not needed in most of Washington state. At least all seasons I can continue to use year round or just use them in the winter months and save my summers for.....yeh summer.

Here is the tires I found:

Hankook Ventus AS RH07
Size: 275/40R20
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 106V
Load Index 106 = 2094lbs (950kg) per tire
Speed Rating “V” = 149mph (240kph)
Load Range: XL
UTQG: Treadwear: 420
Traction: A
Temperature: A420 A A
# Price: $149.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Total with shipping priority mail to my APO in Germany $718

This tire will fit the staggered 20" sport rims style 214. here is the URL for the right size

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Granted 20" tires and at that width are not optimum for snow or ice but they are 10 times better then high performance summer tires. These tires have a 65,000 mile warranty and will do fine on an all wheel drive vehicle for one winter.

I will be sure to right a proper review after I recieve them for wet and dry pavement and another once the snow comes.

For $718 and it already has some great reviews on tire rack I am confidant that they will be great for the price.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
X6exy
Rep

Dry road review

I received the tires the other day, two weeks to my Germany APO, I have to hand it to Tire rack. They really provide a great service.

I had them installed two days ago, first of all my local tire shop really had hell with the 315's for they were to big to fit on there machine. They had to pull off the old tire partially by hand.

So far these tire perform just as the reviewers on tire rack had stated. They are super quite, and have from what I can tell near equal dry road handling as the ultra high performance summers I had on the car. I have not had a chance to drive in rain or snow so I will review that when the chance arises.

Let me tell you this though. I have mounted these on the staggered 214 rims for the sport package. Putting the 274/40/20 on the rears does fit...although it does round the corners of the tire a bit and had me a little weary of the bead breaking on hard cornering. I have pushed them pretty hard already and they have shown no sign of doing that but I do have to keep it in mind.

One of the biggest things I notice with these tires over the summers is that they track better. The summers would grab any imperfection on the road and try to follow it. This was especially bad on hard braking. It was bad enough I was thinking my alignment was off. With the All seasons I have no problems what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
X6exy
Rep

Snow review

These tires are awesome. I have now had a chance to drive in rain, snow and on black ice here in Germany. I have drove up hills with 8 inches of fresh snow, really did well. I would rate them an 8 out of 10 for snow compared to a full snow tire being a 10. Every thing they do is predictable and easy to control. Between the tires and the DTC I can tackle and road conditions safely and at higher speeds then most cars out there.

I cannot say weather these are better then the Continental Extreme Contact DSW tires but I do know these are about $200 cheaper and have a very good mileage warranty!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Thank you for the review.

Since the Continentals have been out of stock for a long time, maybe I should consider canceling the order and get this one instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
X6exy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Thank you for the review.

Since the Continentals have been out of stock for a long time, maybe I should consider canceling the order and get this one instead.
I promise you will not be disappointed. I finally managed to give them a true test the other day, I drove into some really deep old crusty snow and the X6 just dove in and stopped. I was like shit. with some good skill (mostly from the X Drive), and a little perseverance she drove out, My passenger was very impressed thinking we would have to be pulled out.
Appreciate 0