XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Windshield vs Tire Retread @ 70MPH

Came up from the truck - I had zero time to respond other than getting it out of my wife's side (came from the passenger side of the truck right to her side of the car). Could have been worse...could have been a lot worse. Ended up covered in glass though...

Course - truck is long gone, so this is on my dime. 3rd no fault accident in 3 months (3 different cars)...insurance company is going to love me

I feel like the guy driving the orange McLaren who got punked by the kid on a skateboard.
      07-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Truck tire's are messed up. Can you imagine a motorcyclist?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Wow! Look at the windshield. Almost penetrated all the way through... Glad everyone is ok!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Glad you and your wife are ok. Hood needs help too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

I had one bust up a van. I got the truck # And the phone #. Called and they said, " Do you know it was our truck?" Well I saw it come off and that's when I took down the numbers. They respond,"contact your insurance, we aren't doing anything unless you can PROVE it was our truck". Since that day I feel that re-caps should be illegal.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #6
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
I had one bust up a van. I got the truck # And the phone #. Called and they said, " Do you know it was our truck?" Well I saw it come off and that's when I took down the numbers. They respond,"contact your insurance, we aren't doing anything unless you can PROVE it was our truck". Since that day I feel that re-caps should be illegal.
I'm getting a dash cam...toomey times I've stated that I wished I had one
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Wow! Look at the windshield. Almost penetrated all the way through... Glad everyone is ok!
Thanks!

So...this car has the sound insulated glass. I question if it was regular glass, if it could have gone through?

Always made comments that if something came at me like this...that I'd just duck out of the way. Just to say, there's no time to do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Glad you and your wife are ok. Hood needs help too.
Thank you...it may buff, but who knows what's underneath that coat of rubber.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

That sucks, had near miss in past myself
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #10
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Holy shit, glad you're both safe!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #11
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Damn, that stinks! REALLY glad everyone's ok though...

First thing that came to mind when I saw this was the video I saw of the bus driver who had some kind of debris pierce his windshield and strike him right in the abdomen. He died soon after

I'll post the vid, but I don't think it's appropriate after your close call...
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #12
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Glad that you are OK. Can't even imagine what that must have been like. I'm doing a lot of road trips this summer and will BOLO for those angry inconsiderate rubber monsters.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Holy jeebus!
Glad you're ok though. One more reason my monies spent on a dash cam is monies well sepnt.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Damn! Guy Glad you're Ok
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Yeah, that is the course of business if you get hit by a truck. My son's friend got tire rub on the side of his car by a truck as the truck took a bend wide and the truck kept going he got all the information called the police and insurance and still have not gotten paid. The trucking company petty much said prove it was in fact their truck, they said the kid could have gotten those numbers as their truck drove by that is no proof their truck hit him, his GF was in the car and the police said their hands are ties its their word against the trucking company.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
I'm getting a dash cam...toomey times I've stated that I wished I had one
same. I'm absolutely sick of shit drivers and incidents occurring then not having the evidence to back it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #17
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
They are, on steering axle (at least for big trucks). Still legal on non steering axles though. That right there tells you that everyone knows they aren't as reliable as unrecapped tires.

I used to not care but it seems in the last few years I've been seeing a LOT more gators on the road than I remember. Hit one at speed a while back too because no chance to avoid, fortunately just scraped up front bumper and cracked two of the lower grilles.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

wow, glad it held up and no major injuries.

This is my #1 concern driving on highways...is debris from trucks. Everytime I see them, I just hurry up and pass them. I don't linger behind or besides them or even on front of them.
      07-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
They are, on steering axle (at least for big trucks). Still legal on non steering axles though. That right there tells you that everyone knows they aren't as reliable as unrecapped tires.

I used to not care but it seems in the last few years I've been seeing a LOT more gators on the road than I remember. Hit one at speed a while back too because no chance to avoid, fortunately just scraped up front bumper and cracked two of the lower grilles.
Recaps usually fail like most tires on trucks, the drivers are lazy, they do not check the air pressure on the trailer tires and they drive on low tires which heat them up and cause the tire to come apart. Most time the trailer may not belong to the driver of the truck or the company he maybe driving for so they do not care what shape the trailer is in.

Unlike what I saw just this morning, a cement mixer going down the road with one tire low and I know he is going to have a blow out since a load cement mixer needs all it tires fully inflated.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Reminds me of what happened to my neighborhood quite a few years ago. I came home one night and noticed I had no power in the family room. I scratch my head as other parts of the house on the first floor had power. I go up stairs to the MBR and realized there's now power there too. I change out of my work clothes and go down to the breaker panel. I see the two breakers tripped. The family room was able to be reset but the MBR kept tripping. I go back up to the MBR and narrow down the issue to a surge protector fried. So I'm really confused as to what happened.

A couple of days later I talk to a couple of my neighbors and found out they were also affected. Apparently there was a huge power spike which tripped my breakers and fried my surge protector but my neighbors actually lost a substantial amount of electronics in the hit. One neighbor said he could smell burnt electronics from the foyer which was from a fried DirecTV box in his MBR.

We all filed claims against the power company. Power company responds back saying there was a work truck which hit a utility pole which crossed power lines and sent a surge down to our homes. The power company gave the name of the company and the insurance information for the company. My neighbors filed claims. I didn't as I didn't lose anything. Monster Cable replaced the fried surge protector. A few weeks go by and my neighbors say the company of the work truck and the insurance company essentially told my neighbors to pound sand and prove the incident caused their lose...despite the power company stating they were responsible.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Holy cow! Thank god you and your wife were safe.
I once saw an entire wheel fall off from a semi truck on a highway that casually ran with us in line then hit the median and jumped to other side and landed on oncoming car. But the truck driver didn't even notice it and went his way.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Reminds me of what happened to my neighborhood quite a few years ago. I came home one night and noticed I had no power in the family room. I scratch my head as other parts of the house on the first floor had power. I go up stairs to the MBR and realized there's now power there too. I change out of my work clothes and go down to the breaker panel. I see the two breakers tripped. The family room was able to be reset but the MBR kept tripping. I go back up to the MBR and narrow down the issue to a surge protector fried. So I'm really confused as to what happened.

A couple of days later I talk to a couple of my neighbors and found out they were also affected. Apparently there was a huge power spike which tripped my breakers and fried my surge protector but my neighbors actually lost a substantial amount of electronics in the hit. One neighbor said he could smell burnt electronics from the foyer which was from a fried DirecTV box in his MBR.

We all filed claims against the power company. Power company responds back saying there was a work truck which hit a utility pole which crossed power lines and sent a surge down to our homes. The power company gave the name of the company and the insurance information for the company. My neighbors filed claims. I didn't as I didn't lose anything. Monster Cable replaced the fried surge protector. A few weeks go by and my neighbors say the company of the work truck and the insurance company essentially told my neighbors to pound sand and prove the incident caused their lose...despite the power company stating they were responsible.
Do you live in Falls Church? I got hit by that too. Basically the HV transmission lines dropped onto the 240V distribution lines about a block away. I was totally anal retentive and had already installed a whole house surge protector plus had point of use surge protectors on most electronics. I still lost the control board for my dishwasher, the power supply for the electrostatic air filter on the furnace/air handler, and one old surge strip in the MBR. Whole house protector had one light noticeably dimmer than the other after this incident so I replaced it as well. Coworker one street over wasn't so lucky, he lost several big screen TVs and other assorted electronics.

Of course we saved receipts for all the stuff that I replaced; I figured that since I'd done all the troubleshooting and repair myself, and bought the parts online for the best prices I could find that they'd play nice. Total bill was probably in the neighborhood of $300 if you consider my labor free. Nope, Dominion Power considered it an "act of God" and politely invited us to urinate in a vertical direction on some woven hemp. Guess they would have had to lay out a LOT of cash had they set the precedent of playing nice though. I feel bad for the people less prepared that actually lost lots of good stuff.

Today I've got cooler toys and better protection... the HT setup and home networking gear is actually running off a 1500VA double conversion true sine wave UPS (used, I get batteries at distributor cost through work.) If a surge gets through that I don't want to be anywhere near it.
Appreciate 0