XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

my tune up experience

Hi all

A lot you know me very well from meet ups and etc. I want to share with you my story of the Velos Design Personal tuner.

Originally I wanted to go with PP Performance but they gave me a price of $10k for their personal tuner. After that I started to search for cheaper options. So I came across of Velos. Payment and shipment was quick. I received a unit with manual where it says loud and clear you must have constantly power supply to you bimmer (like those at the dealerships). Yet I fuck it up big time I have bought from home depot simple battery charger which is a joke for such car appetite. Long story short I started flashing proccess. Thanks got it has option to read and save you stock settings on that personal tuner. Right after my battery died on me and flashing proccess was interrupted. Now all of you can image picture of $120k biker of bolts parked at my warehouse. I had to call for the tow truck and tow my car to my best friends (at onewayautosport ) into they shop. They hooked up the car to stationary charger. Charged battery back to 98%. We have loaded default settings first. After we have flashed the car with Velos personal tuner (which actually is not theirs, it's made by other company they just reselling it). At the first try on the road car felt the same I have called to Omar, and he explained that it takes about 80 miles to drive before I feel any difference. As soon as I hang up the phone I have to admit I was upset and fir some reason it felt like a lie. But in about 30 miles after. Holy shit car went a fucking beast on me. Turbo lag was reduced almost to none. It is very hard to express the felling that I had after I floored. My reason for doing it was that car such as M felt like some cheap ass Honda. That couldnt deliver for that price tag. Most of you saw my prevuos X6 5.0 tinned up by factory and me. So there was almost no turbo lag.

To summarize I'm very happy with that tune up. Here is pro's and cones:

Pro
1) affordable for what it delivers
2) portable
3) removes that huge turbo lag and brings it to almost none existence
3) Omar at Velos was very helpful and I had called him like 100 times
4) Undetectable by delearship (unless your engine died and they looking for excuse to hang you dry for it)

Cons
1) complicated to flash, takes a long time to do it.
2) needs stationary professional battery charger/maintener
3) if you car died on highway and you need to flash it back for dealership - you fucked
4) Velos design could off explain the flashing proccess a little bit better by defining the level of expertise of buyer
5) locked to you vin number and mist be always adjusted/reflashed if you planing to do some modifications like changing the octane number or adding downpipes.
6) personal tuner could be done from different hardware for much easier navigation and flashing

I have done about half a year ago and wanted some time to past to before I'd do any write ups.

Overall I'm happy with the tuner. Reason for my post is to warn all of you who has no knowledge of such type of flashing. And thank you Omar for your help.
Appreciate 0