XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Thinkkkker
BMWs since 1977
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M Silverstone

X5 sunroof

Does anyone know why on at least the 2012 x5 (M in my case) in order to open the sunroof glass even part way the shade has to be 100% open (thus exposing the back seat to unwanted sun and or wind)?! I took the vehicle to the local BMW dealer today and was told that they have no idea why one cant open both the glass and shade part way. Is this limitation because a partially opened shade may get "blown up" by the draft?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

i dont think i've opened the sunroof on my M since i bought it but i remember on my 09 x5 if you push the switch further back than normal (to the point where it automatically opens the whole sunroof) it opens both the sunroof and the sun shade together so that it doesn't expose the rear like you were saying. not really sure how to explain it that well with words but i hope that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Forster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, S54 Mcoupe

On my 11' X5M I can open the shade and glass partially... If you click the switch back two times quick the shade opens and the glass quickly opens as well. Hit the switch at any time to stop it (I believe hitting it twice) & stops both glass and shade wherever you want. Weird the dealership wouldn't explain this to you but try tackling the button in different ways and you should get it to work... Unless 12' models are different I am not sure..
      03-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
bairen
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 5.0

on my '12 x5 - from a fully closed position I can press the button up - and the glass opens partially, and the shade only opens a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Thinkkkker
BMWs since 1977
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M Silverstone

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post
On my 11' X5M I can open the shade and glass partially... If you click the switch back two times quick the shade opens and the glass quickly opens as well. Hit the switch at any time to stop it (I believe hitting it twice) & stops both glass and shade wherever you want. Weird the dealership wouldn't explain this to you but try tackling the button in different ways and you should get it to work... Unless 12' models are different I am not sure..
Forster you were spot on re opening the sunroof glass and shade part way: click the sunroof button twice rapidly, the shade opens first then the glass opens; the shade is always slightly in advance of the glass; at the point you want the two to stop just click the sunroof button again but just once. Go figure why a dealer didn't know this! Thanks!
Appreciate 0