XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Hayes21890
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

HELP!!! CEL came on, Code P21A9

My wife and I recently bought a 2012 X5 35D, about a week and a half ago actually. It has 53k miles on it and is bone stock. We just drove it 1300 miles over the past week to see her family and back and when we were in Michigan, driving through downtown Ann Arbor, the CEL came on. Got it checked out and it was P21A9 and from my understanding with some research, it looks like it is a sensor for the exhaust? Some threads I saw mention something about the gas tank (diesel tank) needs to be replaced. But, I am not sure. Can anyone help me out here? I am frustrated because we bought the car from a BMW dealership in Tennessee and live in NC so taking it back to that dealer is out of the question. Is there a simple fix or anything after-market that will fix it? It does not have any warranty on it nor is it CPO so not concerned about breaking the warranty factor.
Any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the light was on for about 25 miles (parked it over night at her families place) and came back on after about 450 miles of driving. Both times it came on, it happened to be in a big city with traffic. Downtown on both occasions.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes21890
My wife and I recently bought a 2012 X5 35D, about a week and a half ago actually. It has 53k miles on it and is bone stock. We just drove it 1300 miles over the past week to see her family and back and when we were in Michigan, driving through downtown Ann Arbor, the CEL came on. Got it checked out and it was P21A9 and from my understanding with some research, it looks like it is a sensor for the exhaust? Some threads I saw mention something about the gas tank (diesel tank) needs to be replaced. But, I am not sure. Can anyone help me out here? I am frustrated because we bought the car from a BMW dealership in Tennessee and live in NC so taking it back to that dealer is out of the question. Is there a simple fix or anything after-market that will fix it? It does not have any warranty on it nor is it CPO so not concerned about breaking the warranty factor.
Any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the light was on for about 25 miles (parked it over night at her families place) and came back on after about 450 miles of driving. Both times it came on, it happened to be in a big city with traffic. Downtown on both occasions.
Sometime sensors go bad and need replacing, always go with the cheapest fix first and work your way to the big ticket items unless you know for certain what the issue is. Since I don't have the diesel I can't help but it seems having to change the whole tank seems a bit outrageous.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Hayes21890
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Sometime sensors go bad and need replacing, always go with the cheapest fix first and work your way to the big ticket items unless you know for certain what the issue is. Since I don't have the diesel I can't help but it seems having to change the whole tank seems a bit outrageous.

Good luck!
I agree, it does seem a little wild that the tank would need to be replaced. I did some research but came up empty for the most part. Would love to get some input from others who have experienced the same issue.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

If you get moisture/water in the diesel you can get fungus or some such in it. My 12d had no CEL come on but they spent >$15k trying to fix it.

Looked up your code quick and it looks like it might be the DEF tank, not fuel.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865665
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
Hayes21890
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
If you get moisture/water in the diesel you can get fungus or some such in it. My 12d had no CEL come on but they spent >$15k trying to fix it.

Looked up your code quick and it looks like it might be the DEF tank, not fuel.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865665
I found that thread too but it does not seem to give a proper fix. Or at least one I want to agree with! Haha! Don't want to come off $1,500+ for a fix. Plus, that thread is almost 3 years old and didn't know if a new fix has since come about.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Hayes21890
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

bump!
Appreciate 0