XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-31-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
self_russell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35D. Pure stock

Coding options?

I have NCSExpert and NCSDummy downloaded on my laptop. I have a BimmerGeeks protool cable. After reading about folks torching modules Im very scared to try it. I have recently started looking into the Carly app to code.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? If anyone is around the Columbia SC area and wants to teach me coding ,i would be happy to pay you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Having just gone through this, I will give my advice.

My experience may be a bit different than yours. I work for an automotive pcm tuning company (not bmw related) so I am used to this sort of thing; however, I had never worked with a bmw before acquiring my 2013 X5 this year. It is also my wife's car so I had to make sure I was comfortable doing this as I would never hear the end of it if I caused an issue lol.

I to read about bricking modules. It has been my experience, again not bmw, that this usually happens due to power. Whether that be the laptop loses power in the middle or hibernates/goes to sleep or the battery voltage drops in the vehicle. I recommend hooking up a battery charger and plugging in your laptop if possible.

I changed the following on my vehicle:
1. mirrors fold in and out with the key fob
2. windows up/down with the key fob
3. control liftgate open and close with the key fob

I also wanted to disable the idrive disclaimer but that didn't work.

The first time I attempted anything, I tried to go too quick. No charger connected, and I tried too many things at the same time. This caused my liftgate to not function and I started getting xdrive malfunction messages. I was able to get everything back to normal and decided to try again when I had more time. Last week I tried it again with a charger connected, made sure I did items individually and waited before moving on to the next. Everything worked this time with no issues.

I used the following link as a "guide"
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222277

Keep in mind, all of the information for any and everything you would need is out there but definitely not in one place.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I used Okee at http://www.codemycar.com

He does everything remote, I paid $140 or so a few years back. If your coding gets wiped out for any reason (happened to me after dealer installed new software) he'll recode for free.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_russell View Post
I have NCSExpert and NCSDummy downloaded on my laptop. I have a BimmerGeeks protool cable. After reading about folks torching modules Im very scared to try it. I have recently started looking into the Carly app to code.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? If anyone is around the Columbia SC area and wants to teach me coding ,i would be happy to pay you for your time.
There’s a very good DIY guide by a forum member “junior” (different forum), follow that guide & you’ll be fine.

http://www.**************/showthread...or-easy-coding

Edit - *** = bmw coding dot com (no spaces)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I used a YouTube video that showed me how to do it. I'm in NY, too bad I can't help you any further
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Get Carly app, user bimmer geeks cable. Call it a day
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:43 AM   #7
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

If you are able to get somewhere close to me I gonna code your car for free XD. I’m in Montreal Btw, wanna come to do some skiing and get your car coded?
Appreciate 0