XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
strongdeo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSPORT

Active Steering or NOT?

Hi - I have a 645 Ci with active steering and I regret getting the (first generation) active steering. It makes the car feel fantastic like a go-kart but it does feel artificial and in long sweeping corners I often have to re-calibrate how much steering inout I need mid-corner. I have test drive some 5ers with out active steering and the steering feels beautiful and natural.

Question is on the X6 should I spec active steering? I reckon on a larger heavier vehicle it would be a real help when parking, and at low speeds.

What is your experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

My experience is that active steering is great on X6. As it is a big heavy car with big wide tires (20" rims have 285mm wide tires in front) it helps it a lot at low speeds and at parking. I would not order active steering for a 5er or 6er, but for X5 and X6 it makes a lot of sense. I have ordered mine with active steering. Production in December, I should have it end January - beginning February.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongdeo View Post
Hi - I have a 645 Ci with active steering and I regret getting the (first generation) active steering. It makes the car feel fantastic like a go-kart but it does feel artificial and in long sweeping corners I often have to re-calibrate how much steering inout I need mid-corner. I have test drive some 5ers with out active steering and the steering feels beautiful and natural.

Question is on the X6 should I spec active steering? I reckon on a larger heavier vehicle it would be a real help when parking, and at low speeds.

What is your experience?
Did testdrive both systems... I didnt like the active steering. Just as you say it makes the car loose the natural feeling...
So i did order mine without and i love it. Never ever even thought about problem when parking it.

Good luck!
      11-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongdeo View Post

What is your experience?
I don't have it and am very happy without it. I drove it on the 5 series and felt the somewhat artificial feeling you are describing. I really liked it when parking or making a three point turn but I made the decision to not get it because I wanted more input and road feel when driving. I don't regret not having and parking is not a problem at all. The only reason I would have gotten it would have been to reduce the turning radius but the price did not justify the benefit to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Definitely get active steering. Not only does it make a difference at low speeds, but makes difference at high speed as well since the steering ratio gets reversed giving you more precision on the high way (less jerkiness as a result of slight movements in the steering wheel.)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i have order it,drove it with AC and i like it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I ordered it for mine, I can park really well but the X6 does weigh 5200 lbs
and this does make it easier in tight spaces. I like the headlights following the steering wheel, didn't notice it until I was on dark country road.
      11-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
rdk
Rep
Drives: 09 X6 50i VR Blk Nappa

I drove an X6 with and without active steering and did not order it. Did not like feel of a/s. It felt more like a cadillac than a BMW. Dealer told me they no longer order active steering for any dealer stock because most people don't like it. I have not had any issues with low speed steering or parking.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I like the headlights following the steering wheel, didn't notice it until I was on dark country road.
This is actually on all of the X6 models and not just ones equipped with Active Steering. I like this feature as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I had A/S on my 645. I don't have it on my X6.

A/S is a nice feature but you will notice odd steering wheel noises if you have it.

It is a feature I can live without. I had HUD before too. I like it a lot, but useless most of the time. If it had the turn signal indicators, radio station, etc. up on the screen it would be much more useful.

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-10-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Good point about HUD,totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I had A/S on my 645. I don't have it on my X6.

A/S is a nice feature but you will notice odd steering wheel noises if you have it.

It is a feature I can live without. I had HUD before too. I like it a lot, but useless most of the time. If it had the turn signal indicators, radio station, etc. up on the screen it would be much more useful.
I agree but navigation it is great and well worth it for me as I use my nav all the time
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Lynx
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi all
I'm going to place an order for an X6 Bmw, of course, and I'm undecided if the Act.Steer. is really useful.
But a doubt is in my mind: does the X6 has the servotronic on all version or it comes only with the Act. steer. system?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

All X6 models have power assisted steering, the active steering just adds speed dependent turning ratio.

Here is a short explanation from the BMW website:

Active Steering
When BMW first introduced Active Steering to the market in 2003, our drivers weren't the only ones who were impressed. It received the Innovation Award of German Industry, too. The technology allows for a variable steering ratio based on your speed. At low speeds, steering is nimble (10:1) for easy navigation in tight spaces. At high speeds, greater movement of the steering wheel is required to turn the front wheels the same amount (18:1), for increased stability. Most car companies split the difference with a constant 14:1 ratio, but we're not ones to compromise - even with our steering ratio.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
Hi all
I'm going to place an order for an X6 Bmw, of course, and I'm undecided if the Act.Steer. is really useful.
But a doubt is in my mind: does the X6 has the servotronic on all version or it comes only with the Act. steer. system?
thanks
The majority of all BMWs sold do not come with active steering, night vision, HUD, or active cruise.

These are really niche options. As a result, you will get few opinions.

Active steering is one of those options that the average buyer does not understand so dealers shy away from ordering cars for the lot with it since it is an expensive option.

If you are not sure you want it, my advice is not to get as you won't miss it. As others have said, your car will feel like a cadillac at low speeds.

As I said before, I had A/S on my 645, but it is not an option I had to have for my next car purchase.

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-24-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #16
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

The catch is: Adaptive drive is only available with active steering.And u definitely want adaptive drive, to work together w/DPC...fantastic. Otherwise, get the Touring w/xdrive, or wait til ZF produces enuf DPC units for other models.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 03:19 AM   #17
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

i have my x6 for a week and i must say ACTIVE STEERING and ADAPTIVE DRIVE is must have! there is a huge difference,much better driving felling. i am very happy that i have ordeer it both.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
The catch is: Adaptive drive is only available with active steering.And u definitely want adaptive drive, to work together w/DPC...fantastic. Otherwise, get the Touring w/xdrive, or wait til ZF produces enuf DPC units for other models.
What!?

No no... BMW will let you get the adaptive drive without the active steering.
After 1 week with an X5 with active steering and one week with an X5 without the choice for me was easy.
The roadfeel is so much more without the active steering.
Active steering was nice when it comes to park the car, but hey one more turn on the wheel can i handle if i get that nicer roadfeel at higher speed
But test them both and see what you think.
      12-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Active Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
What!?

No no... BMW will let you get the adaptive drive without the active steering.
After 1 week with an X5 with active steering and one week with an X5 without the choice for me was easy.
The roadfeel is so much more without the active steering.
Active steering was nice when it comes to park the car, but hey one more turn on the wheel can i handle if i get that nicer roadfeel at higher speed
But test them both and see what you think.
Daniel B:
Were u able to get in your x6 3.5d, adaptive drive without active steering?
When i order'd my 35i back in april factory came back saying ad was only available w/ as, both being part of the dynamic stability control.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #20
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Missing Clearcoat

Daniel B;
Nice fotos w/ your dog.
From your foto w/the hatch back open, looks like the inside edge of the hatch back door does not have the clear coat either.
Has anyone noticed this on theirs?
Mine is VR so without the clearcoat around the inside edge it's obvious when the dr is open.
Have to go back to dealer to find out more.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #21
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Daniel B:
Were u able to get in your x6 3.5d, adaptive drive without active steering?
When i order'd my 35i back in april factory came back saying ad was only available w/ as, both being part of the dynamic stability control.
Yes i got Adaptive Drive and DPC without the active steering.
      12-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #22
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
Yes i got Adaptive Drive and DPC without the active steering.
true,in europe those two are stand alone options.
Appreciate 0