XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Bad Brake Rotor ??

I currently have 13,600 miles on my X6 35i. I am experiencing a vibration when braking coming from the left front wheel. This only occurs at very high speeds (80+ mph). Of course the dealer said we have not seen that. Has anyone else experienced this? Did the dealer turn the rotors or replace them?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
I currently have 13,600 miles on my X6 35i. I am experiencing a vibration when braking coming from the left front wheel. This only occurs at very high speeds (80+ mph). Of course the dealer said we have not seen that. Has anyone else experienced this? Did the dealer turn the rotors or replace them?
Thank you in advance for your help.

I have about the same amount of miles on mine and haven't noticed this, I drive fast but haven't tried slamming on the brakes at that speed. I have applied the brakes at or above that but in more of a steady push and hold slowing of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

That's sounds like a warped rotor.

It could be factory defective, but I've noticed on a couple of different cars the rotor gets warped after a hard stop and holding the position for a while. It's not scientific but I think the rotor cools at a slightly different rate around the brake pad when the car is held in a held in the same position when a really hot rotor cool down.

FWIW
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update to Orginal Post

Took the X6 in to the dealer for maintenance and a couple of other small issues. First I must tell you this is my first BMW and I was pleasantly surprised with every aspect of my visit.

I was given a new 3 series car to drive. When I say new....26 miles.

They found both front rotors out of BMW specs so they replaced them along with both front brake pads. They don't turn them !

I too had a problem with the passenger side wiper parking too high, so they removed it and re-set it.

I complained about turbo lag, which I felt has got worse since new. Although unable to confirm they reset something that learns how I drive. I did notice a very slight difference.

The best part of my visit was the bill........$ 0.00
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

How does it drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
How does it drive?
Not sure which vehicle you were refering to so I will comment on both.

The new 3 series is very nice, this appeared to be a basic version (No I drive and other goodies) but still a very nice car. I did not like the cup holders nor did I like the manual parking brake arm, it took too much center console space. One of the nicest features about the car was an arm that pushed the seat belt forward so you could easily reach it, once seat belt was clicked the arm retracted. Very slick !

As far as the X6 new brake rotors did the trick, very smooth braking. The acceleration has definately changed. I can't say it is faster, just does not require as much pedal to go. From what they explained the X6 learns your driving habits. I am sure it learned when the car was new and I was "babying it". Now that that's over, I plan to teach it how to be a race car !!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Took the X6 in to the dealer for maintenance and a couple of other small issues. First I must tell you this is my first BMW and I was pleasantly surprised with every aspect of my visit.

I was given a new 3 series car to drive. When I say new....26 miles.

They found both front rotors out of BMW specs so they replaced them along with both front brake pads. They don't turn them !

I too had a problem with the passenger side wiper parking too high, so they removed it and re-set it.

I complained about turbo lag, which I felt has got worse since new. Although unable to confirm they reset something that learns how I drive. I did notice a very slight difference.

The best part of my visit was the bill........$ 0.00
Awesome!
What's the name of the dealer?? in Novi, Michigan?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Awesome!
What's the name of the dealer?? in Novi, Michigan?
Erhard BMW. They have locations in both Bloomfield Hills and Farmington Hills. I was at Farmington Hills.
Appreciate 0