XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Brembo 405MM 6 piston kit: what 20in wheels fit it!!!! HELP

Hey all,

I just purchased a lovely BREMBO GT kit by Velos. Thank you Omar and Kenny. However, we have a small dilemma.

I want to put this kit on for numerous reasons as soon as I get it. Was told the stock wheels won't clear the kit.

Because I live in Boston I ultimately will have poor road conditions and do not want to spend $$$ on HRE or something like that for the winter.

What wheels for those that have this kit will fit or did any OEM wheel fit that was a 20?

Also I have new OEM size rubber for the winter on and do not want to buy new tires. So the wheels need to fit the 275/40/20 and 315/35/20 sizing as best as possible.

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

i guess you can find out for us
altho do you know if the issue is in the barrel of the rim or the spokes? Maybe a spacer would work
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I can't get a straight answer as to why they don't clear the stock wheels. There is a rumor that it may clear the newer model X5M stock wheels.

Not sure if it is a spacer issue as there is already decent clearance on the OEM caliper which is massive. The brembo one will be a lot more proportioned, less material but more pistons and curvature around the disk.

So it may be that it touches the barrel??? No idea.

All I know is a did the two finger test and I can fit two fingers between te current OEM wheels and caliper (fingers side by side and horizontal not lateral).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

The OEM brembos just barely fit inside the barrel of my 20's not sure how you plan on putting a bigger kit inside the same wheels. I say go 21 inch style 215 rims. You'll have very close to oem ride quality with that setup. I ran 22's in MI for most of the past summer and ride quality was only marginally diminished compared to the stock 20's. I just don't think it'll be possible for you to fit them in there without going one inch bigger

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Going bigger isn't the problem. The fact that its winter time I will new to run in 20s. Anything bigger and tires and safety become a major concern for me.

Going to a bigger rotor isn't the problem. Aftermarket calipers have a different design and less material than the stock. With this kit ill probably shave at least 20lbs a corner.

I just can't get a solid answer as to a yes or no and why. Everything is a secret!!!

They had to design the kit off some type of specs on the car. It wasn't made from scratch and a big guess if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Going bigger isn't the problem. The fact that its winter time I will new to run in 20s. Anything bigger and tires and safety become a major concern for me.

Going to a bigger rotor isn't the problem. Aftermarket calipers have a different design and less material than the stock. With this kit ill probably shave at least 20lbs a corner.

I just can't get a solid answer as to a yes or no and why. Everything is a secret!!!

They had to design the kit off some type of specs on the car. It wasn't made from scratch and a big guess if you know what I mean.
Ok to clarify the issue is you are wondering if you can run the BBK while using a 20inch wheel for your winter setup? If thats the case then I don't think it will work and I know ideally you would want to use 20's in the winter instead of going bigger. Might have to go stock in the winter and then put it all back on in the summer/spring (pretty big hassle though). Or just run bigger wheels this winter and keep the BBK on year round

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:

Really? Why don't you simply call Brembo USA or ask them your question on social media?

BTW, OEM 19" 298M winter wheels fit over the stock brakes (but just barely) on a '13 X5M
      12-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

maybe run some 21 or 22 with winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Swapping brakes back and forth is just a bad idea, very timely and expensive. I would rather do this right than not at all.

As for 21 or 22 with winter tires, that is a mistake and there are very few options out there in sizing. Plus I would rather spend that money on something nice for a second set rather than a winter 22in beater. If that even exists.

Bringing car in on Monday to do measurements so will know more. Ill post the measurements for those interested once I know more.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

FYI I have called every major dealer of brembos, tuner, wheel company in the country. No one has a definite answer and specifics. It's frustrating, but for those that have invested time in helping I have greatly appreciated it (Omar at Velos, Matt at ACM, Illia at IND, Race technologies, the list goes on).

I will let everyone know next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FYI I have called every major dealer of brembos, tuner, wheel company in the country. No one has a definite answer and specifics. It's frustrating, but for those that have invested time in helping I have greatly appreciated it (Omar at Velos, Matt at ACM, Illia at IND, Race technologies, the list goes on).

I will let everyone know next week.
Good luck man! Hope you get it figured out

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

So all,

An update that the stock wheels from a 2011 X5M will not clear this kit.

The caliper will hit the barrel. You need at least 234.4mm of clearance from the hub to the barrel. The spoke clearance was fine as you need 33.4mm of clearance.

These number are including the 3mm recommendation by brembo.

Brembo will not provide the kit with any other rotor size other than the 405 for his kit. Which seems odd. You want to sell a kit or not.

Anyways so back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0