XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Red911t
Rep
Drives: E46 BMW

Looking at X5 Ownership

Good afternoon all....I am looking into X5 ownership. Currently have a E46 330cic with every option, low mileage (51k) and in very good shape but have a second kid coming and need to scale up. This car would mostly be for personal daily use, but also some weekend hauling and maybe roadtrips. We have an XC90 that my wife drives the kiddos around in.

Long story short - I've been test driving E70's, both the 35i and drove a very clean 50i yesterday. Most of the 35i's I've seen in the low to mid $20's...the 50i I drove yesterday had 79k on the clock and was listed at $19k. NADA says it should be around $17.5k It was a CPO car with BMW care tacked on, so a ton of dealer history in servicing and the rear airbags were recently replaced.

Here's my question - this car is likely not an ultra-long term option - will likely have a corporate car in a few years, so what I get now is more a short-term play. I don't want to get smacked with depreciation so I am ruling out $30k cars and looking more at that high teens to low $20k range...am I nuts to consider the 50i with a really strong service history? I've owned two different E46s so I know BMW maintenance (though potentially not x50i maintenance )

Talk to me people...thanks in advance!

Tim
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
You'll likely hear from everybody to run away - but just do your due diligence and know what you're getting into.

The N63 has more 'issues' (customer care program) than the 6, so some of the 50i are actually priced lower than the 35i & 35d. Also, options vary wildly, so would need to know packages etc to be able to make a valid assessment - Sport package is great, and you may want to double check on Comfort Access, or anything else that would be nice.

The CPO and warranty help add piece of mind - take a drive, enjoy it and set aside some funds to cover anything that comes up.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

I would recommend a 35d. My coworker bought her wife a white cpo 35i for normal soccer mom usage. My car currently at 65k Km and his at 60 mm. Mine is a 2013 my and his is a 2011 my. My 35d has been driven like a M3( or like its stolen) for last couple year after the tune and his bone stock 35i has been seeing busy interstate and city traffic every single day. Water pump just failed and need way less reliable compare to my diesel. 35d with 3rd roll seat will hold way more value than a 35i even with that $350 3rd row seat option. I will suggest looking into a 35d since its cheaper to run compare to my company's piece of shit F350 XL powerstroke( no radio broken AC 2010 my full of dents and rust)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Buy an extended warranty with the N63.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Jarhed1964
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 XDrive30 Sport

I love mine. Will never go back to a sedan, no matter HOW poor the gas mileage is. You can expect a LOT of repairs, but you can save thousands of dollars turning your own wrench for most of them, like I do.

But then... I'm a nut and a sucker for punishment. I like to turn wrenches.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red911t View Post
Good afternoon all....I am looking into X5 ownership. Currently have a E46 330cic with every option, low mileage (51k) and in very good shape but have a second kid coming and need to scale up. This car would mostly be for personal daily use, but also some weekend hauling and maybe roadtrips. We have an XC90 that my wife drives the kiddos around in.

Long story short - I've been test driving E70's, both the 35i and drove a very clean 50i yesterday. Most of the 35i's I've seen in the low to mid $20's...the 50i I drove yesterday had 79k on the clock and was listed at $19k. NADA says it should be around $17.5k It was a CPO car with BMW care tacked on, so a ton of dealer history in servicing and the rear airbags were recently replaced.

Here's my question - this car is likely not an ultra-long term option - will likely have a corporate car in a few years, so what I get now is more a short-term play. I don't want to get smacked with depreciation so I am ruling out $30k cars and looking more at that high teens to low $20k range...am I nuts to consider the 50i with a really strong service history? I've owned two different E46s so I know BMW maintenance (though potentially not x50i maintenance )

Talk to me people...thanks in advance!

Tim
I've had 2 E46's myself and can tell you from personal experience the X5 xDrive50i is in a different universe when it comes to 1) required maintenance, and 2) cost of maintenance. But it's also a far more complex vehicle than an E46, so it's to be expected IMO.

I would only look at the 50i if you really want the added power over a 35i/35d. Versus the 35i, you'd get another 100hp & 150 pound feet. It's substantial. If you don't care about the added performance the 35i/35d is a better option in terms of cost/reliability.

My 50i has had a ton of work done to it, but it was all covered by BMW under the customer care campaign and CPO. My CPO has now expired and I added a new warranty to it - I'd recommend you do the same. They aren't that expensive for a 2-3 warranty.

The big repair on these 50i's are the valve guide seals - this repair at the dealer is close to $10K. Check that maintenance history you mention to see if it's been done. If not, they likely need to be done at that mileage and I'd keep shopping.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Red911t
Rep
Drives: E46 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I've had 2 E46's myself and can tell you from personal experience the X5 xDrive50i is in a different universe when it comes to 1) required maintenance, and 2) cost of maintenance. But it's also a far more complex vehicle than an E46, so it's to be expected IMO.

I would only look at the 50i if you really want the added power over a 35i/35d. Versus the 35i, you'd get another 100hp & 150 pound feet. It's substantial. If you don't care about the added performance the 35i/35d is a better option in terms of cost/reliability.

My 50i has had a ton of work done to it, but it was all covered by BMW under the customer care campaign and CPO. My CPO has now expired and I added a new warranty to it - I'd recommend you do the same. They aren't that expensive for a 2-3 warranty.

The big repair on these 50i's are the valve guide seals - this repair at the dealer is close to $10K. Check that maintenance history you mention to see if it's been done. If not, they likely need to be done at that mileage and I'd keep shopping.
In terms of maintenance are the jobs a pain but fairly doable? Ive done basics on my car - oil changes, fuel filter, fuel pump, gaskets etc but havent pulled an engine or done major suspension work or anything like that.

Jiggz, what warranty brand did you get out of curiosity?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Tim
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red911t View Post
In terms of maintenance are the jobs a pain but fairly doable? Ive done basics on my car - oil changes, fuel filter, fuel pump, gaskets etc but havent pulled an engine or done major suspension work or anything like that.

Jiggz, what warranty brand did you get out of curiosity?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Tim
For me, I'm not a DIY'er. No time, tools, or interest. Excluding all the N63 CCP stuff, the bigger repairs on mine have been coolant lines to the turbos, value guide seals, and upper oil pan gasket leak.

The valve guide seals require you to drop the motor out, and the upper oil pan gasket requires the motor to be lifted up for access (if you're doing the 2 jobs at different times). Pretty substantial work, much more than changing oil, filters, etc. My SA has told me more than once, the labor costs on the N63 is always high as very little is easily accessible. Lot of labor tearing stuff apart to get to the problem.

With that said, I love this vehicle and would not trade it for much else. Not a 35i or 35d, not a Acura, not really much else I don't think. Love the way it handles, love the power, it's just a great driver, IMO. As noted above I've had a lot of work done, but I've paid for very little of it. Would buy another 50i for sure. But thats me, a lot of people don't want to deal with trips to the dealer.

The warranty I have is the CNA exclusionary warranty, recommended to me by a fellow X5 forum member here. If you purchase an X5, PM me and I can get you in touch with the person I purchased it through.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
Bent_remy
Enemy of viscosity and thermal breakdown
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E93 6MT

Quote:

DAMN!!

Thanks for your insight.
      04-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent_remy View Post
Quote:

DAMN!!

Thanks for your insight.
Yeah my dealer told me 80k like clockwork is when that job needs done.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Yeah my dealer told me 80k like clockwork is when that job needs done.
I'd think for sure by 80K, mine failed the test at 55k.
Appreciate 0