XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
realast8
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster and 2012 750i

Battery Issues...(I think)

Hi Everyone,

I have been receiving a service message stating that my battery is discharging and to disconnect all external devices when car is not in use. I would always need to reset my Time and Date as it would go back to factory setting.

I took my 08 X5 to the dealer and they said that I am using the truck for short trips only. The solution would be to use the car for longer trips.

I read this issue before by other members so that must be the case.

I took it home and starting using the truck for more day to day use.

Recently I got the same discharging message but now the message also states that the battery has been disconnected.

Are all these issues relating to a core problem? I looked under my hood and only saw the Positive post on the battery. I couldn't locate the negative post.

Car has always worked fine however this is most likely steming to a deeper issue. I'm just about finished warranty so I'm hoping to get this resolved quickly.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

It's a poor design issue. It's absolutely crazy that we just "take it" when the SA explains that this problem is due to our short trips. When was the last time that ANY car company sold a car that required long trips to keep the battery alive? I've had to buy and install two chargers to keep the batteries in my two BMWs from deteriorating and needing premature replacement. This together with the run flats are the worst so called "features" of our cars. It's a shame BMW, it's a shame

Maybe it's too late for your battery but make sure you use a charger for the next one and charging it fully once a week should preserve it and protect it from further deterioration. I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-700...9875296&sr=8-1 and I have them installed next to each car's parking spot so they are easy to connect. Only the positive terminal is visible but you can use any of the other nearby bolts to connect the negative. The Ctek charger comes with everything you need to connect it to the terminal under the hood - there are cheaper versions of this Ctek charger available.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
realast8
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster and 2012 750i

Yah...I'll probably end up buying a charger.

However I have been driving the x5 every day now at highway speeds. I was hoping the problem would have gone away.

I was thinking the connection to the positive terminal is loose which is why I am getting the "Battery has been Disconnected" message.

Has anyone else received this message?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

i had that battery low msg pop up only once in a few years with my 08 x5 3.0si... there was no particular pattern that i could identify with as the cause...

The truck was never used during the week but i did make up for it every weekend and putting in more than 50 miles of local driving..

when the msg popped up that one time i thought i was in trouble but it did allow me to start her up and it ran fine after that.. i still purchased a trickle charger but never got a chance to use it and the msg never came back.

as for long term parking it actually didn't mind being parked for 15 days at a time, about twice a year at an airport's long term parking... she started up every time. (the power of prayer!!)

i've heard plenty of issues with this and don't think it is normal.. something is wrong if you experience this more than you should.. have it checked out.. something is pulling that juice.
      02-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
bluetec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

You may also just have a bad battery like I did. After clock resets and warning messages, I took it in and they tested the battery. Battery failed the load test and was replaced under warranty. Took 90 minutes total including changing an air charge sensor under a campaign and washing the vehicle. No problems since. (knock wood). Suggest you do the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

As much of a drag as it seems, it would not be unreasonable for an original battery in an 08 to be at the end of its service life. And the replacement won't be warranty covered.

That said, I did have a similar parasitic draw condition in my E53. Even with nothing plugged in, the battery would drain after a few days - usually at the airport where it caused me the most drama.
      03-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
750 XLR
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d 2009 alpine white

having been having problems with my x5d 2009 battery to been replace three times since december 2012, it has gone totaly the last time after one week at parkandfly. Does any one have sugestion
Appreciate 0