XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
taillights
Rep
Drives: x635i

X6 Mud Flaps

I just purchased a 2011 x6 35. Question - can I install the BMW mud flaps? How difficult? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I tried and failed on my 5 series, and didn't even bother on my x6. I just had the dealer do it. It involved some drilling and taking the wheels off in the back.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
taillights
Rep
Drives: x635i

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB

My dealer quoted me $240+Tax to install all 4 mud flaps, is it really that difficult? Anyone tackle this yourself?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
It can't be that hard, just a little patience, $240 is too much for workmanship IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Chris_FL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB

He told me it's 30 min labor per, so about 2 hours, $120/hr

The wife is scared I'll "mess something up" trying to put them on myself, trying to see if anyone has and how it went.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Have you seen X6 with mud flaps?
If not, i suggest to see how you like the looks of the car with them first
I personally think they look weird on this car
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

I agree, not the best look IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
Packdaddy
Packdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Mud Flaps??

Are you planning on driving your X6 off-road through mud or something? I agree with the suggestion to take a look at one with flaps installed before you mess with the look of your ride. It's your ride, of course...just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

not difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by taillights View Post
I just purchased a 2011 x6 35. Question - can I install the BMW mud flaps? How difficult? Thanks.
I think the mud flaps look awesome. I have the 35i with the 20" wheels, and the flaps make the car look a lot tougher and "squared off" to the ground.

FUNCTION: And they work fairly well. The sides of the car (doors) stay clean, but the forward-facing surfaces of the fender bulges still catch dirty road spray.

INSTALL: I bought a set on ebay for a decent price, installed them myself in about 2 hours. I hate other people touching my car, I do all my own maintenance and mods that don't require welding or painting. I love working on my cars, and I feel that the headaches, frustration, and satisfaction are part of the game.
I think most people COULD install these mudflaps although most people who spent $70k on a car would rather spend a couple hundred bucks to save the effort.
No cutting or trimming of visible pieces.
You need to make several slices with a blade to place some metal clips, and you need to drill a couple of holes for the plastic rivets, but it's a pretty simple procedure. Just takes some patience, common sense, and some basic automotive hand tools.

** The HARDEST PART was getting the little metal clips onto the wheel-well liner. Widening the slit, then pre-stretching the slits with a flathead screw-driver made it a little easier.

** CAUTION: DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN the screws when you're installing the mud flaps. if you do, the head of the screw will start cutting into the soft mud flap plastic and will tear right through, then you'll need to find some way of reinforcing the hole. (i speak from experience).

STUFF YOU'LL NEED:
jack, jack-point platforms (OEM part, little plastic rectangles that snap into slots under the car's side rails), jack stands. Your car may not have the jack / platforms if you have runflats and didn't order the $150 temporary spare option.
socket / breaker bar to remove lugs / wheels
100lbf-ft torque wrench to tighten lugs
compact PLASTIC RIVET tool (see below for a link)
LONGER RIVETS (the ones that come with the set are barely long enough, and I needed to drill out a couple of "misses" that didn't anchor properly)
utility knife or x-acto to cut small slits in the wheel well liner for screw anchor clips
hand drill to drill holes in the plastic trim for the rivets.
drill bit to match the shaft diameter of the rivets (<.25", i forget exactly)
needle-nose pliers (to force the metal clips into place)

here's a link to a rivet-setter that's similar to the one i bought, you might find a better deal if you shop around. easy to use, worked well, and the EXTRA RIVETS ARE A MUST-HAVE for this project. The ones that came with the set were PERFECT, and are probably what BMW should have provided from the start.
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Rivet-...9234883&sr=8-1

if you're up for a small challenge, go for it!! at worst, you can always have the dealership take over if you run into problems.
if you need instructions (i have the service-manual PDF) or if you have any other questions, lemme know.

mud flaps or not, you're gonna LOVE your new car.
congrats!

Last edited by somonster; 07-02-2011 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: clarified install equipment, cautions
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Have you seen X6 with mud flaps?
If not, i suggest to see how you like the looks of the car with them first
I personally think they look weird on this car
+ 1 this is my second X6 and never had mud flaps, here we get 9 months of rain and still no damage to the body, the car looks weird with mudflaps IMHO
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
kgclark
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6 35i VR/Oyster

Somonster- could u post a pic of your x6 with the mudflaps installed? I, too am interested in installing them to try to reduce the winter road salt spray.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I'd love to see pics too.
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:49 AM   #14
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep

pictures??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
I'd love to see pics too.
How do I do this?

i'm ok with computers and cameras, but i'm gonna need some basic-level instructions on how to get photos into a post.

OK NEVERMIND - i just saw the "attach files" option. It might take a couple of days, but I'll get some pics up!

Last edited by somonster; 06-30-2011 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
In case anyone wants to see one of the other memebers photos,
here is the link
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ight=mud+flaps
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep

as you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgclark View Post
Somonster- could u post a pic of your x6 with the mudflaps installed? I, too am interested in installing them to try to reduce the winter road salt spray.
(that's somonster with a lower-case 's')

folks, it was kinda hard to get a good shot showing the black mudflaps without blowing out the white car with all the sun today.

PERSPECTIVE is DISTORTED in these photos: keep in mind these pics were taken with a very wide angle lens in a very small driveway.

PICTURE #1 - the flaps LOOK like they bulge outward from the side of the car. they DO NOT stick out AT ALL. This is due to lens distortion, and let me assure you that the installed flaps are FLUSH with the sides of the car and are completely VERTICAL. I'm picky about my cars, and I couldn't be happier with the quality or fit of the OEM flaps.

pictures don't do the flaps justice - lemme know if you'd like specific angles or shots with a longer lens.

----

Kgclark (ha) - I can't say how much the flaps protect the underbelly of the car from splash (never really checked, we don't salt the roads here). I installed the flaps shortly after buying the car so I can't compare directly, but I THINK the mud flaps work pretty well keeping splash off of the sides of the car. When I drive in the rain I still get dirt spots on the leading edge of the rear fender bulge.
I love playing in the snow, but I'm glad I don't ever have to drive in it around here.

AndreyATC - thanks for the link. yeah, I'm not digging those white mud-flaps either. No matter how functional they are, I wouldn't install them if I drove your car. Besides, I never liked the whole "white-out" custom look, I think contrasting trim and grilles give a car more "shape." not that i'm biased or anything, but I still think MY plastic black trim-colored ones are super awesome.
Attached Images

Last edited by somonster; 07-01-2011 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I kind of like those, thanks for the pics. First time I've seen them installed.
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
Erick79
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6

Hi I know this is an old tread but can someone share with me the service Manual for the installation of the flaps. Thank you
Appreciate 0