XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #23
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonesupreme View Post
I have the same set installed, X5/X6 with the edc should have the set shown in the pic?
So - to get back on track - what are your settings?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #24
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
So - to get back on track - what are your settings?
I didn't have a chance the lower the rear yet, the front lowered 420MM 16.5" measure from the wheel center to the fender flare.(according to a member recommended from a post here)
I think i can go lower more,but the crappy road in the interstate hwy at NYC....

the detailed setting for rebound settings
Front : 14/11
Rear:13/11

There are 18 setting from the top, 11 from the bottom.

If anyone has better setting in NYC..or a shop to adjust let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
Does you '6' have air bags on the rear then? I'm just trying to see if KWs slammed is not a problem mainly on airbag vehicles vs springs. One thing is common, H&R and KW use little links.. but I'm guessing the KW damper is what alleviates the rear from bouncing vs H&R with stock dampers.
I have the air suspension equipped on my x6m
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #26
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonesupreme View Post
I didn't have a chance the lower the rear yet, the front lowered 420MM 16.5" measure from the wheel center to the fender flare.(according to a member recommended from a post here)
I think i can go lower more,but the crappy road in the interstate hwy at NYC....

the detailed setting for rebound settings
Front : 14/11
Rear:13/11

There are 18 setting from the top, 11 from the bottom.

If anyone has better setting in NYC..or a shop to adjust let me know
How do you like the ride like that? That seems awfully firm. According to my install instructions, there are 16 clicks for rebound and 12 for Bump. Your vehicle must ride like a hardtail motorcycle.

I have no idea what Roy is referring to with 50 and 55 - that doesn't make sense!

KW recommended settings are 6 clicks of rebound and 5 clicks of bump on the front axle, and 9 clicks of rebound and 5 clicks of bump on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

It is not bad at all...i love that..but the road condition in NYC sucks..
      02-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #28
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

According to the instructions, adjustments are done from a fully closed position. Hence the term 'clicks open' on their settings. That's how I have mine setup and it rides great. Taken from their instructions. Go to page 4:

http://www.kw-store.com/extras/docs/...ea68577098.pdf

As such here are the settings:

Front:

Rebound - 6 from full closed
Compression - 5 from full closed

Rear:

Rebound - 9 from full closed

Adjusting them beyond KW's settings are not needed imo and I will give you guys my reasoning. What you guys need to realize is that KW only makes the V3 for our cars, which has more adjustments then we need, let alone know what to do with from a technical level. All we know is softer or firmer, we don't know the effective dampening characteristics required to handle the spring rates present. Plus the springs and bags are progressive so the rates are not constant.

Now the springs were designed to work with the oem rear bags. So this means the shocks are paired with them since it is a coilover setup. The true pairing is only done at KW's specs, the rest of the combinations are going to have the shocks out of balance with the progressive spring rates. They should have just made the V1's for our cars, but that is probably not a high end enough solution in the given marketplace for a vehicle like this.

I did experiment with both softer and firmer settings just to see and it's easily apparent that they are not matched to the spring rates. So I went back to KW's settings and couldn't be happier. I'm confident that once you guys set it up this way you will notice an immediate and improved driving experience.

Hopefully this will clear everything up for you guys and we can put this to rest.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #29
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
According to the instructions, adjustments are done from a fully closed position. Hence the term 'clicks open' on their settings. That's how I have mine setup and it rides great. Taken from their instructions. Go to page 4:

Front:

Rear:

Adjusting them beyond KW's settings are not needed imo and I will give you guys my reasoning. What you guys need to realize is that KW only makes the V3 for our cars, which has more adjustments then we need, let alone know what to do with from a technical level. All we know is softer or firmer, we don't know the effective dampening characteristics required to handle the spring rates present. Plus the springs and bags are progressive so the rates are not constant.

Now the springs were designed to work with the oem rear bags. So this means the shocks are paired with them since it is a coilover setup. The true pairing is only done at KW's specs, the rest of the combinations are going to have the shocks out of balance with the progressive spring rates. They should have just made the V1's for our cars, but that is probably not a high end enough solution in the given marketplace for a vehicle like this.

I did experiment with both softer and firmer settings just to see and it's easily apparent that they are not matched to the spring rates. So I went back to KW's settings and couldn't be happier. I'm confident that once you guys set it up this way you will notice an immediate and improved driving experience.

Hopefully this will clear everything up for you guys and we can put this to rest.
Thanks for chiming in! That makes perfect sense - and I now know what Roy was referring to with 50 and 55 - the older version of the V3 had a different way of adjusting the setting - it involved up to 75 turns!

Also, some were commenting on the airbag - as you point out it is still used - and it is used with adjustable lowering links just as the H and R kit is.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #30
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #31
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
My system came a day early, so it will hopefully be going on tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #32
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Sorry for making the wrong comment earlier, it was late and i wasn't thinking clearly. Defaulted to the V3s that is installed in my other car
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #33
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in! That makes perfect sense - and I now know what Roy was referring to with 50 and 55 - the older version of the V3 had a different way of adjusting the setting - it involved up to 75 turns!

Also, some were commenting on the airbag - as you point out it is still used - and it is used with adjustable lowering links just as the H and R kit is.
Sorry for the confusion. I know you're gonna love this mod. Changes so much of this vehicle in looks and performance with just one mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #34
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Front:

Rear:

I would LOVE to buy you a drink if you're ever in Houston! This is exactly what I was looking for! Going to give it a shot once my car is out of the paint shop!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Could someone explain the difference and benefits of the KW V3 suspension vs X6M stock with EDC and rear airbag auto height adjustable. I like the option to switch between the factory setting using EDC on the fly. I would think the factory EDC is highly sophisticated being electronic and smooths out the rough spots. I don't want a kidney transplant if the KW make the ride too stiff. I don't want to bounce all over either. A slight drop would be nice. but I am not looking to slam the truck. I need to tow and have an execuhitch installed. I am all for performance gains and better ride characteristic, but not at the risk of making the ride too harsh. I don't track my X6M. I normally drive with the EDC on most of the time except if I have passengers and traveling on the highway or really bumpy roads and I need a more supple ride. I know the V3 is adjustable, but I'm not interested in continuous tinkering with the dampening. Set it and leave it. How "intelligent" or quick is the dampening compared to the factory electronic EDC program. I guess what I am asking is what makes the KW V3 much better than the factory "tuned' EDC? Do you need the KW factory delete option or will the KW's work with the factory EDC? I thought the EDC also controlled the electronic sway bars or something? Is the factory ride auto height adjustment retained? Thanks, as you can tell I am somewhat confused by the way the KW set up functions.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #36
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Stock rear height is not adjustable - it is fixed. People get KW's for different reasons. I got them for a lower ride height and better ride than can be achieved with lowering springs and links. KW's eliminate the EDC - you need the delete kit so you don't get errors. The ride on KW's is fantastic - better than stock in my opinion. And it looks fantastic. I can't speak for others, but that's why I got it.

If all you are looking for is a slight drop you may be happy with lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Stock rear height is not adjustable.
So the self leveling function does not work? When you say the stock rear height is not adjustable do you mean the KW's do not affect the rear factory stock height? or do you mean the "KW stock" height is not adjustable?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #38
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
The air suspension in the rear automatically maintain the same height regardless of load. You can't adjust it up and down without lowering links. The stock links are not adjustable- they are fixed length. KW height is fully adjustable. You can drop it on the tires if you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #39
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
The air suspension in the rear automatically maintain the same height regardless of load. You can't adjust it up and down without lowering links. The stock links are not adjustable- they are fixed length. KW height is fully adjustable. You can drop it on the tires if you want.
I am still not following...I know the EDC is disabled so pressing the EDC button will do nothing, correct? Now, the self leveling...Let's say the KW V3 are installed and you have set them up exactly how you want them, height/drop whatever is set, dampening is set. Perfect. Now you load 2000 lbs of bricks in the back....does the auto level air suspension kick in and raise the vehicle back to your preset KW height setting? or will you have to drive around like a ford explorer with the rear sagging under the weight?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #40
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
It will raise it. KW's work with the air suspension , they don't replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Thanks Upstate! I thought I read somewhere when EDC is activated it influences the stabilizer or sway bars by electronically tightening them up for more "spirited" driving and further eliminating any body roll?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #42
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Yes - that's what EDC does, but the EDC system is eliminated by the KW's. With KW's you select the chassis settings that work best for you. And KW's can tighten much further and eliminate all body roll if those are the settings you want - along with giving you that oh so sexy stance.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #43
KCLARK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E^)M% & 2013 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Could someone explain the difference and benefits of the KW V3 suspension vs X6M stock with EDC and rear airbag auto height adjustable. I like the option to switch between the factory setting using EDC on the fly. I would think the factory EDC is highly sophisticated being electronic and smooths out the rough spots. I don't want a kidney transplant if the KW make the ride too stiff. I don't want to bounce all over either. A slight drop would be nice. but I am not looking to slam the truck. I need to tow and have an execuhitch installed. I am all for performance gains and better ride characteristic, but not at the risk of making the ride too harsh. I don't track my X6M. I normally drive with the EDC on most of the time except if I have passengers and traveling on the highway or really bumpy roads and I need a more supple ride. I know the V3 is adjustable, but I'm not interested in continuous tinkering with the dampening. Set it and leave it. How "intelligent" or quick is the dampening compared to the factory electronic EDC program. I guess what I am asking is what makes the KW V3 much better than the factory "tuned' EDC? Do you need the KW factory delete option or will the KW's work with the factory EDC? I thought the EDC also controlled the electronic sway bars or something? Is the factory ride auto height adjustment retained? Thanks, as you can tell I am somewhat confused by the way the KW set up functions.
Im with you to in that view which is why id like to know why it seems so many X5 M owners get KW's in the Version 3 instead of just getting V1's? Do you really need that much adjustability just to street ride which a high percentage of X5/M owners are doing. If you track or even occasionally track your SUV then justification would come in for getting V3, or even V2. All KW version can produce a drop and would tend to think even V1 is better than stock damping wise. Im looking to hear why so many chose to get the top teir V3 suspension when its not needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #44
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLARK View Post
Im with you to in that view which is why id like to know why it seems so many X5 M owners get KW's in the Version 3 instead of just getting V1's? Do you really need that much adjustability just to street ride which a high percentage of X5/M owners are doing. If you track or even occasionally track your SUV then justification would come in for getting V3, or even V2. All KW version can produce a drop and would tend to think even V1 is better than stock damping wise. Im looking to hear why so many chose to get the top teir V3 suspension when its not needed?
Did you know that the ONLY available option from KW is V3? That's why so many X5M owners go with the V3.
Appreciate 0