XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #67
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
I can't stand DSG; I've driven four cars and one van with it and was deeply unimpressed.
Hesitates when pulling away, won't shift multiple gears, awful in auto mode.

My ZF 8AT is way better.
Agree COMPLETELY. It never downshifts when I come to a complete stop so it's incredibly sluggish starting off. Put it in sport mode and it's herky jerky. Really not pleasant. Whenever I shift myself using the paddles the car smells like something's burning when I shut it off. Thank goodness it's a lease. 16 months left......

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #68
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
I can't stand DSG; I've driven four cars and one van with it and was deeply unimpressed.

My ZF 8AT is way better.
Yes! People often overlook the ZF8, but honestly it's much better than the DSG. It is very smooth at low speeds and has instantaneous shifts like a DSG. I'm actually glad the new S4 went ZF8 instead of DSG.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #69
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:

My ZF 8AT is way better.
APR has taken care of that:
https://www.goapr.com/products/tcu_u...dq250_mqb.html

Personally, I can shift when I want: I have a manual. I don't care at all if the DSG is quicker than I am. I hate driving automatics! Dead boring to me. Plus, I can keep my heel-toe in practice when I take to the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #70
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
Yes! People often overlook the ZF8, but honestly it's much better than the DSG. It is very smooth at low speeds and has instantaneous shifts like a DSG. I'm actually glad the new S4 went ZF8 instead of DSG.
Really? Now that IS interesting.

We've got a VW California going into build next week; our second. And I will not choose DSG because the courtesy van (Caravelle Executive DSG) we had while our last van as being fixed was so bad, it was almost funny. Oh how I chortled as it selected about second gear through my village and revved it's nuts off, oh how I smiled as it then changed up TWO gears as I ascended a very sharp bend on a 25% gradient hill. The VW CC, Golf and S4 I drove weren't quite as bad but still dire.

Our camper will be 4motion too and precise control is needed off road; another thing DSG can't do!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #71
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Really? Now that IS interesting.

We've got a VW California going into build next week; our second. And I will not choose DSG because the courtesy van (Caravelle Executive DSG) we had while our last van as being fixed was so bad, it was almost funny. Oh how I chortled as it selected about second gear through my village and revved it's nuts off, oh how I smiled as it then changed up TWO gears as I ascended a very sharp bend on a 25% gradient hill. The VW CC, Golf and S4 I drove weren't quite as bad but still dire.

Our camper will be 4motion too and precise control is needed off road; another thing DSG can't do!
My experience with the ZF8 is from a '13 A6 I've owned for three years. Never once, I felt like it was in a wrong gear and it downshifted very well when required. If anything Audi tuned 'S' mode is weird because it only shifted at 5k rpms. Where as in 'D' it very intelligently shifted based on my throttle etc.,

My experience with the DSG was with the Golf and also the GTI. It shifted terribly at low speeds and always second guessed it. Even when it shifts, it's a bit rough compared to the ZF8.

I would rather have a manual transmission any day but ZF8 is probably the best Automatic transmission out there.

Just my 2 cents and good luck with the build!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #72
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

To answer the question, I bought a DSG car. It was the only way to get the color and options I wanted. I would have preferred a manual, but the DSG is more convenient for everyday city driving, and it'll allow me to either hand the car over to my wife down the road, or relegate it to normal family errands and day-to-day use.

In comparison to the ZF 8AT, I wouldn't hesitate to say the ZF is the smoother, more refined transmission. The DSG in the new GTI is very fast and responsive in manual mode, though. There is certainly room for improvement in regular auto mode. I only use it when there is no traffic, and that seems to do the trick.

Last edited by FriskyDingo; 03-02-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:15 AM   #73
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
oops.

Last edited by Em135eye; 03-02-2016 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #74
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting stuff guys; I thought I was a lone voice!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #75
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
To answer the question, I bought a DSG car. It was the only way to get the color and options i wanted. I would have preferred a manual, but the DSG is more convenient for everyday cut driving, and it'll allow me to either hand the car over to my wife down the road, or relegate it to normal day-to-day use.

In comparison to the ZF 8AT, I wouldn't hesitate to say the ZF is the smoother, more refined transmission. The DSG in the new GTI is very fast and responsive in manual mode, though. There is certainly room for improvement in regular auto mode. I only use it when there is no traffic, and that seems to do the trick.
The APR trans tune makes the trans a lot smoother overall, highly recommended upgrade.
      03-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #76
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Not the only one considering the GTI for a daily. I was very surprised to how much I liked the gti especially considering its price. I am currently stuck between the 4 door gti w/performance pack and a wrangler unlimited.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #77
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
The APR trans tune makes the trans a lot smoother overall, highly recommended upgrade.
I thought about it when I got the car but mine is a lease. $600 for something that can't be resold when I turn the car in is too much. It's bad enough I spent $600 on the tune and $325 on the carbonio intake... at least the intake can be resold.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #78
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I thought about it when I got the car but mine is a lease. $600 for something that can't be resold when I turn the car in is too much. It's bad enough I spent $600 on the tune and $325 on the carbonio intake... at least the intake can be resold.
True, at least the tune makes it a lot more fun to drive while you do own it.
      03-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #79
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I traded my modded '13 Boss 302 for a manual '15 GTI a few months ago. It's an awesome car. The Gen 3 2.0T reminds of a small V8/big six cylinder in its power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #80
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
If you've bought any non- high end car before (Toyota, Honda, VW etc), you'd know that it's very rare to be able to order a car built as you want it.
FYI Subaru will let you do it. I ordered my STI spec'd exactly as I wanted it back in 2012. And when shopping for an Outback for my wife the Subaru dealer said we could order it however we wanted. We ended up ordering a Volvo V60 awd instead though
      03-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #81
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Might have to look into the APR trans tune. First order of business is clear bra on front, tint, and spacers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #82
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Might have to look into the APR trans tune. First order of business is clear bra on front, tint, and spacers.
Don't forget VWR springs to get rid of the 4x4 look.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #83
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Don't forget VWR springs to get rid of the 4x4 look.
Yeah, those are coming, too. I also plan on retrofitting Golf R style HID's at some point. I had to skip the Lighting Pkg to get Perform Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #84
YUN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Congrats OP with your GTi, great and fun cars for sure.
I was in the same boat as you when I sold my E92 M3, everything I've tried just didnt do it for me. So after a test drive of MK6 gti I was sold, that little car made me smile like a kid. So I've modded that car and drove it for 3 years up until I saw MK7 R standing on the parking lot of that same dealership I pass on my way home. My sales guy let me test drive that car which not many dealers do for some reason and I drove that thing home on the same day. It is a stripper model with manual transmission, got it for dealer's invoice. Now I have RSR clutch installed along with short shifter from TT-RS and Stage 1 from United Motorsports. Car is faster than my e92 M3 for sure while AWD. Rock solid interior with not a single rattle inside and such a sleeper. Best all around car I've had. My suggestion is don't get VWR springs, it'll ruin the balanced feel of a car. There are a lot of folks already removing them from their cars.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #85
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Have you driven the focus ST?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #86
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUN View Post
Congrats OP with your GTi, great and fun cars for sure.
I was in the same boat as you when I sold my E92 M3, everything I've tried just didnt do it for me. So after a test drive of MK6 gti I was sold, that little car made me smile like a kid. So I've modded that car and drove it for 3 years up until I saw MK7 R standing on the parking lot of that same dealership I pass on my way home. My sales guy let me test drive that car which not many dealers do for some reason and I drove that thing home on the same day. It is a stripper model with manual transmission, got it for dealer's invoice. Now I have RSR clutch installed along with short shifter from TT-RS and Stage 1 from United Motorsports. Car is faster than my e92 M3 for sure while AWD. Rock solid interior with not a single rattle inside and such a sleeper. Best all around car I've had. My suggestion is don't get VWR springs, it'll ruin the balanced feel of a car. There are a lot of folks already removing them from their cars.
Nice, man. That's the best deal I've heard of anyone getting on an R. I'd love to have an R, but more than I was willing to pay, and longer than I was willing to wait. The GTI is really plenty for me living in the city. It's an incredible point-and-shoot car and just destroys traffic.

I've read good things about the VWR springs so far, can you elaborate on your statement?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #87
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Have you driven the focus ST?
I have. They're fun, but rather unruly and unrefined. Wouldn't want one as a DD.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 02:18 AM   #88
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I prefer the GTI to the R; more character, better looks, no ugly quad pipes ruining the back.
However both have a four cylinder engine. Only Subaru is allowed to use four cylinders; it's the rules. Everyone else's attempts are just characterless white goods.
Appreciate 0