XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #89
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
I prefer the GTI to the R; more character, better looks, no ugly quad pipes ruining the back.
However both have a four cylinder engine. Only Subaru is allowed to use four cylinders; it's the rules. Everyone else's attempts are just characterless white goods.
It's hard to deny the power of the Golf R. With just a downpipe and flash tune the DSG cars are running mid to high 11s in the 1/4 mile.

Subaru has done a great job updating the WRX motor but they really need to do something with the STI motor in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #90
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Nice, man. That's the best deal I've heard of anyone getting on an R. I'd love to have an R, but more than I was willing to pay, and longer than I was willing to wait. The GTI is really plenty for me living in the city. It's an incredible point-and-shoot car and just destroys traffic.

I've read good things about the VWR springs so far, can you elaborate on your statement?
I've had the VWR springs on my car with the stock shocks for about 10K miles and have never had an issue, unless I'm pushing at 99% and hit a mid-corner bump. Then, the car just slips and drifts slightly (I have coil-overs on my BMW, so I can feel the difference). But the handling characteristics are still very similar to stock. I've added wider Michelin PSS tires and the added grip is incredible over the stock Pirelli all-season tires. Again, the VWR springs are holding up just fine.

For me, these are the best bang for the buck. Ride quality is hard to tell difference from stock. The lowered look is perfect and not too low.

The only way you're going to upgrade is with a good, full coil-over setup IMHO. Then, you're looking at KW Street Comfort to get a ride anywhere near stock. Everything else will be a bit stiffer. Not necessarily a bad thing is that's what you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #91
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I've had the VWR springs on my car with the stock shocks for about 10K miles and have never had an issue, unless I'm pushing at 99% and hit a mid-corner bump. Then, the car just slips and drifts slightly (I have coil-overs on my BMW, so I can feel the difference). But the handling characteristics are still very similar to stock. I've added wider Michelin PSS tires and the added grip is incredible over the stock Pirelli all-season tires. Again, the VWR springs are holding up just fine.

For me, these are the best bang for the buck. Ride quality is hard to tell difference from stock. The lowered look is perfect and not too low.

The only way you're going to upgrade is with a good, full coil-over setup IMHO. Then, you're looking at KW Street Comfort to get a ride anywhere near stock. Everything else will be a bit stiffer. Not necessarily a bad thing is that's what you want.
Yeah, I've read mostly good things about the VWR springs, so I was curious to hear some negative feedback on them. I like that they are only about a .75" drop, because that's all that's really needed imo. That should be totally sufficient with spacers. Eventually I plan on going to 19's with a more aggressive tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #92
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Just a quick update. I traded my Volk RE30 wheels for Volk TE37SL in 17x8.5. Same 245/40 tires too. Much more aggressive IMHO!

Next, I'm going to get a clutch and LSD so it'll handle a Stage 1 tune and IC. Should end up with around 335hp and my car will weigh around 2,980lbs.

I had a bit of a spirited run with an F30 335 x-drive a couple weeks ago. From a roll starting at around 65 up to 115 I stayed right with him. My car only has a CAI and exhaust right now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #93
M4chiavellif82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BEE-EM-DUBLOO M4

GTIs are fun car. Looks great, but finding in the combo u want is really hard. Their inventory or whomever orders them always misses the mark. They will order it with all the cool stuff minus the lighting package or the Perf. package. The dealer will tell u stuff like u don't need the Perf. package unless u track the car. I don't track much or won't track a GTI for shits and giggles. My friend had a bmw 550i manual tranny and he got the GTI SE with manual. He loves it. The thing with the GTI is that, it's finky. You will have small issues pop-up. If you can live with that then it's a great little car at a great price. You really can't get this much stuff in a comparable car until the little monster Civic SI shows up and rains on your parade. It looks like it will rape the GTI and looks amazing. woot woot woot.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #94
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4chiavellif82 View Post
GTIs are fun car. Looks great, but finding in the combo u want is really hard. Their inventory or whomever orders them always misses the mark. They will order it with all the cool stuff minus the lighting package or the Perf. package. The dealer will tell u stuff like u don't need the Perf. package unless u track the car. I don't track much or won't track a GTI for shits and giggles. My friend had a bmw 550i manual tranny and he got the GTI SE with manual. He loves it. The thing with the GTI is that, it's finky. You will have small issues pop-up. If you can live with that then it's a great little car at a great price. You really can't get this much stuff in a comparable car until the little monster Civic SI shows up and rains on your parade. It looks like it will rape the GTI and looks amazing. woot woot woot.
Yeah, I had to sacrifice the Lighting Pkg to get one with Perf Pkg. I was not willing to compromise on that, and I'm glad I didn't. The Perf Pkg really makes the car come along on a back road, and you can tell a difference in how it puts power down, as well as brake bite and feel.

As for the Civic, it's going to take the Type R to 'rape' it, and if it even makes it over here, it'll cost Golf R money. I'll happily sacrifice a few tenths here and .02 g's there for a greatly more refined and comfortable package. It's why I overlooked an STI and Cooper S, among others, when I bought my GTI.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #95
M4chiavellif82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BEE-EM-DUBLOO M4

Quote:
Yeah, I had to sacrifice the Lighting Pkg to get one with Perf Pkg. I was not willing to compromise on that, and I'm glad I didn't. The Perf Pkg really makes the car come along on a back road, and you can tell a difference in how it puts power down, as well as brake bite and feel.

As for the Civic, it's going to take the Type R to 'rape' it, and if it even makes it over here, it'll cost Golf R money. I'll happily sacrifice a few tenths here and .02 g's there for a greatly more refined and comfortable package. It's why I overlooked an STI and Cooper S, among others, when I bought my GTI.
the GTI is a fine car. I was just being silly. It will take Type R and Type R is Golf R money for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #96
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

I've just never been a Honda guy, for one. And besides that, I have a philosophical issue with using a FWD platform to make such a dedicated, hard-core performance car.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #97
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
As for the F30, I haven't driven a 340, but I've driven an M Sport 335i and it just didn't feel lively enough for me. Even having driven one without a back-to-back comparison to my E90, I still didn't love it.
I just sold my 340i, but honestly, it was a blast to drive. More power than the 335i, and the M Adaptive Suspension didn't hurt. Give it a go, they are making deals on them.

Additionally, my 2nd car was a GTI MKII. I LOVED that car. I'm not sure I would go back to something that small and FWD, so if money wasn't an issue I would consider the R.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #98
15GT-TO-M235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235

Quote:
I get what you're saying, and yes the GT is quite a bit faster than the GTI. But it is rather soft down low, and relative to other cars in the same segment and price point, it leaves a lot to be desired in the power department, imo.

The Focus RS really had my interest for a while, but the reviews of them aren't exactly stellar, and dealers are marking them up like crazy. The dealer group I work for has a Ford store, and they were going to mark it up 2 grand on me, even. Pass.
I traded my 2015 gt with performance pack for a 2016 m235, and very happy with that decision. mustang was slow down low, not easy to launch
smoothly, bounced on the freeway, sloppy and heavy, but looked really good. if its was 350 lbs lighter would probably kept it. happy with m235, putting a tune on it next week, easy to get power with a turbo
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #99
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15GT-TO-M235 View Post
I traded my 2015 gt with performance pack for a 2016 m235, and very happy with that decision. mustang was slow down low, not easy to launch
smoothly, bounced on the freeway, sloppy and heavy, but looked really good. if its was 350 lbs lighter would probably kept it. happy with m235, putting a tune on it next week, easy to get power with a turbo
Nice move. Welcome to the group.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #100
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15GT-TO-M235 View Post
If they would make the 2-series in a 4-door or a wagon I would have been all over it. I love the 2-series. It's the last great driving car by BMW. The 3-series has gone soft to appease the masses and I don't like it at all.

M235 is no joke, especially with a tune. I race a 2008 335 with all the Dinan stuff on it. It's a rocket in the straight line compared to most anything else on the track (other than a fully sorted e46 M3).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #101
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

The Golf R is fantastic. APR makes a Stage3+ kit for it. You'll make over 530hp easy. It's a really nice step up from a GTI and the leather interior definitely doesn't make it a step down either regardless of how others perceive it. I went from a F80 to a R and I don't regret it at all.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:07 PM   #102
ruderegime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe E92

I love my 2 door MKV GTI APR stage 2+. I probably will never sell it. Such a fun practical car with plenty of power and room. I can easily sit in the rear seats comfortable I'm 5' 11" 195 pounds. Has more room in the rear then my E92 M3. I have a few nice rides and the GTI is one of my favorites. If I could only have one car it would be one of the newer AWD Golf R's
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #103
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
In terms of practicality, GTI would do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #104
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

The GTI is the reason why I started using this forum.
Since my teen age, I wanted to get the GTI. Once it became a reality for my level of income, I started to option it like crazy.
With 4 doors, performance package and lighting package, it was like 28500. For a little more, there was the base Golf R.

Then a little more, the M235i...

Lol
Anyway, for the money, unless 5-7K will make a huge difference on your budget, just get the Golf R. It's a much better bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0